What's new

Aftershave Splash --- Do you follow it with a balm?

In a trade I just got Proraso Splash and Booster's Oakmoss. These are my first alcohol based balms in a long time.

First, I'm shocked that they don't burn my face. I guess my technique has improved over the past year. I used SCS alcohol based AS's and they burned like Hades. So did Club Man Bayrum.

I used both the Proraso Splash and Oakmoss and then followed it with a balm and my face felt amazing. Just wondering if that's overkill. BTW, I always finish my shave with Witch Hazel and Humphrey's Toner.

Thanks!

in my opinion, yes it does seem like over kill, if you are going to use witch hazel as AS and a toner i would recomend using a cologne for smell... get your facial goodies then your smell goodies... but if that work for you then itworks... why fix what not broken?

This winter, I plan at least one of these combinations: Pashana and Nivea Protective Lotion. The Pashana is a very warm scent that seems seasonally appropriate. It also projects itself like a turbocharged force field, and I hope the balm follower will rein it in a bit.

Pashana also doesn't do much by way of moisturizing, so that's another reason the combo makes sense to me.

In a trade I just got Proraso Splash and Booster's Oakmoss. These are my first alcohol based balms in a long time.

First, I'm shocked that they don't burn my face. I guess my technique has improved over the past year. I used SCS alcohol based AS's and they burned like Hades. So did Club Man Bayrum.

I used both the Proraso Splash and Oakmoss and then followed it with a balm and my face felt amazing. Just wondering if that's overkill. BTW, I always finish my shave with Witch Hazel and Humphrey's Toner.

Thanks!
I use witch hazel or Jason's aftershave after a warm rinse. While I clean up the den, brush teeth, etc., I let this dry, then cold rinse, then balm. About 20 minutes later, I apply a splash. Is this overkill? Probably. Yet it works for me, and my face feels great.

As far as getting a burning sensation, I agree that your technique must have improved. I had the exact same experience, and now I get at most a mild sting, and a warm feeling, not a burn. If I do get a burn from an alcohol splash, that is a surefire sign (pun intended) that I did something wrong. In the meantime, stick with what works for you.

I use Thayer's to clean my face after my shave. It feels good and soothing but I apply an aftershave splash for healing and stop any redness and help my face overcome any irritation that may occur. I also enjoy the sting as a wake up.

I just recently began to apply Saint Charles Shave Avocado Oil. I've only began doing this for a few weeks and mostly because of the extremely dry winters here in the desert really take a toll. I don't have sensitive skin but the dryness gets to me and I feel the oiliness of the Avocado Oil has been just to be helping so far.

I don't consider the Avocado much of an aftershave healing balm since I don't feel any healing from it but it keeps my face moist. It's just an experiment but I expect to really notice changes in a few weeks as the winter weather sets in here.

I like the 444 + aftershave splash combo. You get the best of both worlds. I occasionally use Nivea sensitive balm, but I don't use a splash before hand.

I loves my splashes in the summer.

In the winter I use a splash then a balm. Sometimes I just use a balm. My skin is deifnitely dry and needing something more substantial than alcohol and glycerine.

I love smearing/splashing stuff on my face.

Typically I use 2 Witch Hazels, then a balm and a splash.

Sometimes, later that day, I will do another balm or splash.

I'm seriously addicted to this stuff.

I like the 444 + aftershave splash combo. You get the best of both worlds. I occasionally use Nivea sensitive balm, but I don't use a splash before hand.

Splashes in the summer, balms for freezing temperatures and splash + 444 for everything else.

Top Bottom