What's new

The best balm

Hello, people of B&B!
I am a avid balm user which stays far away from alcohol base AS. I have my reasons for preferring non alcohol base AS, mostly related to the literature that i have read around skin care, which talks about the negative effect of alcohol on the face. Non the less i know most people here love alcohol base lotions/splashes and will heavily disagree with me but i am not here to argue(or am i😏). Now lest get to the point(i have to always write me train of thought first sorry🫣)before my mind starts wandering again.
What is the best non alcohol base balm?
I always check the ingredients beforehand online to see what balm has the best stuff and from my searching sterling and zingari man seem good contenders.

I think it's fair to say there really isn't a best balm for everyone. There's may be one for you, though.

Some people don't like a heavy or greasy feel post-shave. There are balms for them. Others want something really moisturizing, there's balms for them, too. Some people want a scent that lasts hours. Others want something unscented. You can see where I'm going with this...

I think it's fair to say there really isn't a best balm for everyone. There's may be one for you, though.

Some people don't like a heavy or greasy feel post-shave. There are balms for them. Others want something really moisturizing, there's balms for them, too. Some people want a scent that lasts hours. Others want something unscented. You can see where I'm going with this...
Well yes everything is subject especially in the wet shaving world, but nonetheless this doesn’t stop people from asking this type of question. I personally just want to hear what people like and why they like it, maybe i find something interesting for myself. From what i can see this thread is already dead sadly😖. Kinda expected it since balm seems to be the least used around here.

Well yes everything is subject especially in the wet shaving world, but nonetheless this doesn’t stop people from asking this type of question. I personally just want to hear what people like and why they like it, maybe i find something interesting for myself. From what i can see this thread is already dead sadly😖. Kinda expected it since balm seems to be the least used around here.
I think you got the wrong impression. There are a lot of balm users on the forum. Some use them often, some rarely. Some members apply both an alcohol lotion and a balm after the shave.
Anyway, other users recommending you anything doesn't mean you will like it.

Check out the what did you use today thread too. You might gain some insight into what people enjoy.

Good idea. It's also possible with the search feature to search for "balm" with the "this thread" option and you should get a list of relevant posts in reverse chronological order. People don't always comment about their choices, but they sometimes will.

I’m a big fan of post shave balm. I use Stirling Unscented Balm after every shave. I occasionally use Declaration Grooming Unscented Aftershave Liniment if I have more irritation than usual. YMMV, but these work well for me and my skin. Good luck finding what works well for you.

I’m a big fan of post shave balm. I use Stirling Unscented Balm after every shave. I occasionally use Declaration Grooming Unscented Aftershave Liniment if I have more irritation than usual. YMMV, but these work well for me and my skin. Good luck finding what works well for you.
Stirling has been on my radar for quite a while but the website i used doesn’t carry the unscented version, waiting for them to stock up. Can’t get the DG stuff where i live but have heard really good impress about there products.

Screen Shot 2023-08-06 at 7.01.45 PM.png

Or: Nivea Cooling, Prorasso Blue, Red, Green

I would ask what your purpose is for using balm? Is it for moisture? Calm irritation? Scent? Or all of them?

Reason why Im asking is because I believe that ”balms/tonics” are just marketing spoofs for men. Whats the difference between a lotion and a balm? Or a cream and a balm? Thickness? Richness? You get the point. There are heavy balms and light creams and so on. Now I get it that some like to match scents but if you need post shave moisturization then just buy a high quality moisturizing face cream. People go nuts over the ingredients that for example Grooming Dept. Uses, maybe not knowing that most of those ingredients can be found in most quality skin care products.

So, invest in a good face cream and skip balms, eunuch tears, mammoth sweat and so on. Thats my tip anyway.

CeraVe is a great basic brand that punches way above its price point.

But if you reeeeally want a ”balm” then I would go with D.R. Harris after shaving milk. Clean ingredients and a subtle scent of rose.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Cerave Moisturizer lotion works well for myself, I use a small dollop after shaving.
I was using Nivea sensitive balm and it is OK and used it for years and then lots of folks started using Hyaluronic acid and I put a few drops in my dollop of Nivea balm and it made a difference right away I noticed. Nivea does have a new balm with Hyaluronic acid also now.
Cerave is used by millions of people daily across the world and is more affordable on volume per OZ and works well has been my experience + it is scentless and does not interfere with fragrances like aftershaves.
(old archived photo)
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom