What's new

Storing a Stypic Pencil

What do you folks do with a Styptic Pencil after using it?

I don't use it very often, but I'm always puzzled by what to do with it when it is wet. It will eventually dry in the plastic sleeve, but is messy. I don't want to just lay it on the counter, or drop it in my kit. Maybe a wooden or plastic pen holder??

I dry it with kitchen towel (I keep a roll under the bathroom sink to dry my razor - and give it a little polish if I'm honest) and put it back in the case.

The problem I found with leaving it dry in the holder is the wet pencil will start to dissolve slightly each time at the base, and will eventually snap.

I dry it with kitchen towel (I keep a roll under the bathroom sink to dry my razor - and give it a little polish if I'm honest) and put it back in the case.

The problem I found with leaving it dry in the holder is the wet pencil will start to dissolve slightly each time at the base, and will eventually snap.

+1. Just dry it off before you put it away! Quick and easy.

I use styptic matches I got from WCS.

proxy.php

If you store the pencil on its base, water droplets will travel the length of the pencil and dissolve some of the product. I wipe it off with a paper towel, then cap it and store it in my medicine cabinet with the tip of the pencil angled down. This has worked well for me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
On the rare case where I need one, I just dry it off with my towel before slipping it back into the plastic case. If you leave it wet, it will semi-dissolve, and eventually weaken the stick. Not to mention, the moisture makes the surface of the stick rough, so it isn't as easy going when you have to rub it on a cut.

Or you could get a Styptic Humidor :lol:

Is that REALLY what that box is for? Anybody sell one? Links? I want one made from black and white ebony.

On the rare case where I need one, I just dry it off with my towel before slipping it back into the plastic case. If you leave it wet, it will semi-dissolve, and eventually weaken the stick. Not to mention, the moisture makes the surface of the stick rough, so it isn't as easy going when you have to rub it on a cut.

Or you could get a Styptic Humidor :lol:

but seriously I first was rolling the pencil on my face kinda from the side till I saw how it was wearing. So now I wet only the tip and use only the tip and so it dries faster with not as much loss.

I don't like the idea of putting aluminum in my skin..
which is why I don't use the stypic pencil nor do I use anti-perspirant...I'm a deodorant kind of guy!

I use Styptic liquid in a glass bottle instead of a stick. No worries about drying out or dirtying the stick. One dab of the finger over the lid and onto the cut. A little ouch and all is well.

I just started using RazorRock alum. It comes with it's own little screw-on cap, so you just put the cap back on when you put it away. It also works better, for me, than a styptic and it doesn't seem to get all gritty, like a styptic, when it's wet.

I would recommend it... it's only like 5 bucks.

For no particular reason I bought the one that comes in the blister pack -- plastic bubble glued to cardboard -- instead of in a plastic tube. Opened it by tearing the bubble halfway off the cardboard.

It turns out that the moisture left on the styptic is absorbed by the cardboard, and since the styptic actually dries out, the product lasts a lot longer.

I just dry it off with a towel, piece of bathrooom tissue, whatever, and put it away in the tube. I only use mine occasionally and it seems to last just fine. I also only dip the tip in water to use, so the bulk of the pencil stays dry anyway.

Go to the bead isle at your local hobby store (Micheals, Hobbylobby...etc) and buy a plastic tube with cap (they use them to store beads). Fits a styptic pencil perfect. The styptic pencil sold at Dollar General comes with a storage tube.

It's not that kind of aluminum.

umm.. YES it is!

Aluminum in high doses can cause adverse effects on your body. Though, there have been no studies that have significant results linking anti perspirants to cancer/morbidity. That does not mean there isn't an effect.

The fact still remains that the aluminum in these types of pencils and antiperspirants can get into the blood stream and cause damage. Which is why I tell people NOT to use antiperspirants and use deodorant instead!

Actually it is Aluminum Sulfate Al2(SO4)3. It is a chemical compound whereas Aluminum Al is a metal.

According to the packaging for my styptic pencil, it is 90% Aluminum Sulfate and 10% Inert Ingredients. The directions say to wet the top of the pencil (I assume this means its tip) and to pat dry it off with a towel and store it in the supplied plastic tube.

Top Bottom