What's new

The Cade Challenge-November 1

Inspired by johnniegold's 2017 Challenge, starting on November 1, several members plan to begin using new or very lightly used pucks of L'Occitane Cade soap exclusively until the puck is finished. This is one of the better non-tallow soaps on the market, and it's herbaceous scent is well-suited for the Fall. As part of the challenge, many will use the same brush throughout. I will be using the Custom Simpson Eagle G3 from the recent B&B group buy that benefitted Operation Smile :)thumbup1:). Everyone is invited to participate.

You may be wondering:

With so many great soaps and creams available and in my shave den, why would I limit myself to just one soap? :001_huh:

The same thing goes for brushes....I have a bunch that I like to rotate. Who wants to stick to just one brush? :glare:

Great questions! Using just one soap and brush, you really get the hang of lathering with it, knowing it in a way you can't when you rotate. You can also do all the rotating you want with razors, blades and aftershaves. Besides, don't you want to know what's under that puck in the dish? :001_smile

One last thought that may be running through your mind......Can I do it?

Yes. Yes you can! After all, didn't you use the same canned foam or gel every day before you found B&B and bought everything under the sun? This time, though, you will get a GOOD shave from it. :thumbup:

So come on! Join in! Load that brush aggressively!

Bricka bracka firecracker! Sis! Boom! Bah! Bowl lather, face lather! Rah! Rah! Rah! :jump:

See you on November 1!

Isn't Cade one of the main French soaps that does NOT use shea butter? I haven't seen a good ingredients list since their site doesn't publish it, but I seem to remember some controversy on this.

Can someone with a puck pack see if shea butter is listed. It could be listed under its scientific name also if it's there.

Isn't Cade one of the main French soaps that does NOT use shea butter? I haven't seen a good ingredients list since their site doesn't publish it, but I seem to remember some controversy on this.

Can someone with a puck pack see if shea butter is listed. It could be listed under its scientific name also if it's there.

This is from their website: A traditional shaving soap, enriched with our purifying Cade essential oil complex, nourishing Shea Butter, cold cream and macadamia nut oil.

I'm in. I have an unused puck and bowl that I've been dying to try. A great fall scent from what I can tell. Will be using the custom Eagle G3 as well. Not sure if I'll last until it's gone, but I'll give it a whirl.

Here is the ingredient list from an unopened puck. Cade is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• $cade.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 2,089
Last edited:
Love the soap, fantastic smell (a mix of cedar and beeswax).
I have a puck almost finished and a new one unopened. Plus, I have a L'Occitane store next to my job. I'm ready for November! :thumbup:

proxy.php

(well, I guess I'll be rotating a little anyway... :blush: can't help it!)

This is from their website: A traditional shaving soap, enriched with our purifying Cade essential oil complex, nourishing Shea Butter, cold cream and macadamia nut oil.
I see that they say in this little teaser that there is shea butter, but in the two ingredient photos shown, I do not see any evidence of shea butter. Or its scientific name which is something like butysperii karite(?).

So, what is the verdict on shea butter? Anybody see it in the ingredients, even though they say it's in there?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I'm in. I will be using customized Eagle G3 in Best. Occasionally, I will use the H4 I recently obtained. I just received it yesterday. I don't think I can have a new brush for one week and then not use it again until I finish a puck of soap. We are not sadists. :tongue_sm

My puck of Cade is lightly used. The writing is gone but I would venture to guess that it will go through November, December and maybe part of January. I will also follow it up most of the time with the L'Occitane aftershave which has about 60% left.

Who else is in? :thumbup1:

I see that they say in this little teaser that there is shea butter, but in the two ingredient photos shown, I do not see any evidence of shea butter. Or its scientific name which is something like butysperii karite(?).

So, what is the verdict on shea butter? Anybody see it in the ingredients, even though they say it's in there?

While we're at it, a little about shea butter:

Shea butter, also known as karite butter, is a cream-colored fatty substance made from the nuts of karite nut trees (also called Mangifolia trees) that grow in the savannah regions of West and Central Africa. Karite trees, or shea trees, are not cultivated. They grow only in the wild, and can take up to 50 years to mature (they live up to 300 years!). In most parts of West Africa, destruction of the shea tree is prohibited because this little nut provides a valuable source of food, medicine, and income for the population. In fact, shea butter is sometimes referred to as “women’s gold” in Africa, because so many women are employed in the production of shea butter.

Now I've read the ingredients list ten times, but can't find any evidence that it contains shea butter.

Last edited:

According to the description on their US site there is no Shea Butter in the soap.

"A traditional shaving soap, enriched with a complex of purifying and stimulating Cade essential oil, anti-drying cold cream and macadamia nut oil for a comfortable and smooth shave. Pair with the Cade Shaving Bowl."

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/cade-shaving-soap.htm

Shea butter, also known as karite butter, is a cream-colored fatty substance made from the nuts of karite nut trees (also called Mangifolia trees)
Zephyr, I'm aware of what it is. I just wonder why I can't see any evidence of it being in this soap--even when they make a point to say it is in the teaser.

The scientific name of Karité (shea) is Butyrospermum parkii. Read more about it here.

As for the shaving soap, it does not seem to have shea butter, but for me it is no problem... I love it anyway.

As for the European market... well, I'm in Europe, and the soap here does not contain shea butter. The image that I posted was from the soap that sells here. That teaser must be an error in the site. The same error appears in the Portuguese and French sites.

Last edited:
Crixus, that is possible.

The French and UK pages mention shea in the description:

http://uk.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Product.aspx?prod=20SB003LH

http://fr1.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Product.aspx?prod=20SB003LH

But only the French page lists it in the ingredients:

"Voir les ingrédients L'Occitane :

* Cade, Genévrier oxycèdre
* Immortelle
* Romarin
* Santal d’Australie

Ce Savon à Barbe traditionnel a une base végétale. Il est enrichi en :
- complexe à l’huile essentielle de Cade (assainissant et revigorant)
- cold cream (anti-desséchement)
- beurre de karité et huile de noix de macadamia (nourrissants)
"

No matter what it contains it has always been a great performer for me.

Last edited:
Zephyr, I'm aware of what it is. I just wonder why I can't see any evidence of it being in this soap--even when they make a point to say it is in the teaser.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post, I thought you found karite in the ingredients list, and wondered if that was another name for shea butter, read your post a little too quick :blush:

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post, I thought you found karite in the ingredients list, and wondered if that was another name for shea butter, read your post a little too quick :blush:
No, I saw where you edited your post while I was posting. Thanks for supplying the info, because I'm sure some members have heard of it and had no clue where it came from.

I think the concensus from our researching:001_smile members on this post is that this particular l'occi.....(whatever the company) product does not contain it, yet many, many of their products do. Men's care products is but a small part of their business. They are in fact known for their shea butter stuff. Perhaps a young college intern put the teaser in the web site and nobody has caught it.

I'm in. I just bought a fresh puck last week to try out. Only used it a handful of times and I like it. It lathers very well for me. I'll use my MWF until november. My wife will be glad to hear I won't be needing any new soaps for quite some time.

For any of you that have both Cade and Pre de Provence, is there any similarity in the scent of the two? I have tried, unsuccessfully:001_rolle, to find someone with a used but unloved puck of Cade I could trade for. I am unaware of any L'Occitane brick and mortar shop around here for a sniff test, but I do shave with PdP and really like the scent of it. To me, it smells like a Christmas tree stand where they sell trees in mid-December.

Is Cade anywhere similar?

hmmmm, I may get in on this only to get rid of Cade. I actually prefer all the other french soaps over cade. Not sure what is wrong with me, but it is about the only soap I can't get a good lather from. Maybe a month of using will allow me to get to know this.

Top Bottom