What's new

Favorite multi-blade razor?

Gillette Sensor with 2 blades for when I am in a hurry. Once I got the 3 blade Sensor cartridges but did not see any great advantage.

Well, no. The Excel has been out for quite some time. I tried the Fusion after. I prefer the lower cost of the Sensor carts and the head is more manuverable than the Fusion one. The Fusion feels huge on your face!

Believe it or not TriFlexx, which is some cheap generic brand.
They're not quite as good as Mach 3 but with prep they give a similar shave, and I have so many liquidation cartridges it boggles the mind.
They've got the pre/post pass strips, 3 blades.
Cheap as my ebay DE blade shaves. :)
Those are my "fastest shave possible" resort, but only for the shower when I can't even work a lather onto my face with the brush due to rushing.
Since getting my DE razors, I've used the cartridge ones twice.
I love the slantbar and straights.

Used the Gillette Sensor pretty exclusively before diving into DE shaving. Always picked up Sensor 3 cartridges. Really had excellent results & still have it in my travel kit.

Schick Slim Twin :thumbup:

The cartridge is small so it is perfect for shaving small area, such as under the nose.

I shall never use one of these again. But I think I did like the Gillette Sensor. I remember when it first came out, lots of hype, lots of ads. It was a pretty big deal. I had only been shaving for a few years and of course i bought one. I saw little or noe improvements with subsequent multi-blade cartridge systems.

I also own a Slim Twin. I still use it when I am in a hurry. They gave them out for free when I was in college. I don't think they make cartridges for this any more, but I picked up 50 on Ebay. The year or two before, they gave out Atra's for free. I lent mine to my sister a few years ago, she decided she did not like and threw it out :frown:

I've got a Trac II but not much experience with it. I also have an Atra I bought in 1978 and used until a couple of years ago. It is a metal handle, and cleans up like brand new. It would be my favorite. However, I did buy a Sensor for my Vegas trip. But since it is now an overnight stay vs a 4 day stay, it will probably stay in the package and not get opened.

Randy

IMO, of the different cartridge razors introduced since the early 70's, the Sensor is best of breed; and also IMO, the only 'decent' razor of that type. Then they went crazy adding blades and doo-dads to the cartridges.

-- John Gehman

Sensor Excell 3-blade. Less nicks than I got with the 2-blade. Can't stand the Mach-3 type, the head flops around like a wet noodle and I don't feel like I have any control over it.

I don't have a favorite because I don't use them often enough to form an opinion on one model or the other. It's really hit and miss with those.

There are plenty of ST cartridges on sale on eBay at very reasonable price. I prefer it to Sensor is because it is not flexible so it doesn't need much force on the face to drag and cut. It shaves very much like a DE in terms of feel, in my opinion. Gillette Atra is similar but Schick is a little bit better designed.

I also own a Slim Twin. I still use it when I am in a hurry. They gave them out for free when I was in college. I don't think they make cartridges for this any more, but I picked up 50 on Ebay. The year or two before, they gave out Atra's for free. I lent mine to my sister a few years ago, she decided she did not like and threw it out :frown:

Thirty years ago when I was in high school, Gillete sold Atra trial razors for a time. This was about the time Atra first came out, I believe. The trial razors were sort of ultra-loss leaders--with a black plastic body, a trial razor sold for well under a dollar and included one cartridge, while the "real" Atra sold for about $5.00 at the time if I remember correctly. The "real" version was metal and therefore much heavier. Theoretically, I suppose, the heavier one should glide better, but I liked the trial version hands-down. I snapped up a dozen or two, and I've been going through them ever since. I'll occasionally try something else but I always come back to them. With luck my stock will last until I hit the nursing home. It was probably the most prescient purchase I ever made.

hack

Top Bottom