What's new

Styptic Vs. Alum

How does the alum block work compared to a styptic pencil?
Currently I'm using a styptic, and I'm glad I don't get more nicks and cuts than I do cause this thing stings like h*** when used certain places.
First time I used it on my neck I think I looked somethinhg like this :eek2::scared:

Does the alum block sting the same way?
And does it stop bleeding just as good as a styptic, or is it better?

I've also read that a alum block can be used as aftershave, how does that work?

And just one more thing, is there any big differences to the different types of alum block?

Thanks

I think alum is a salt that is a mild astringent, and will close small capillary intrusions by promoting clotting and shrinking [the plural of] orifices. Regular NaCl will too, btw, but more painfully. When the flow is not stopped sufficiently by that, a styptic is more aggressive.

Hey Zephr,
I've used both. I find a styptic pencil is better at closing cuts / stopping bleeding - I use it just directly on the cut.
On the other hand, I use alum all over my face. I find it's action milder, although it still stings like anything on a cut. It doesn't stop bleeding as well as a styptic, but it doesn't leave white marks on your face. It's a salt, so it fights bacteria and also takes away moisture. (be sure to moisturise!) the other great thing about alum is you can use it as emergency antiperspirant.

All alum is the same, according to what I've been told. So just buy a block and go for it. Just don't drop it onto a tile floor, like I do all the time - it can shatter!

To simply, use alum as an aftershave regimen and a styptic pen to stop bleeding from nicks. As far as differences are concerned, it's hard to say. However, if you buy from a reputable source, you can be assured it would be of acceptable quality.

I use both.
If you nick yourself and see blood, you take the styptic pencil and wet it with cold water.
Apply directly on wound and move around until it stops bleeding. Rinse blood off pencil with cold water and put away to dry.

I use the alum block after the shave is finished.
I rinse my face off with some cold water, wet the alum bar with cold water, rub on face and neck, rinse face with cold water and bar with cold water water and put away to dry.

Last step is a facial rinse of Witch Hazel.
Generic store brand with Alcohol for me (Discount Drug Mart).
Then a facial rinse and pat down or a shower depending if I am shaving first or last.

So I use both but my grandfather always use witch hazel at the end.
I have done that all my shaving life.

JB

To simply, use alum as an aftershave regimen and a styptic pen to stop bleeding from nicks. As far as differences are concerned, it's hard to say. However, if you buy from a reputable source, you can be assured it would be of acceptable quality.
^What he said

Thanks for, as always, very usefull information.

If I understand it right an alum block is OK for small nicks, but with cuts a styptic is the right tool?

Top Bottom