What's new

Merkur Futur maintenance

I have a question about the maintenance of Merkur Futur.
I notice that in time, the thumb wheel of regulation has more and more difficulty to turn.

Is there any solution?

I haven't noticed this on mine. How long have you had it? Have you tried giving it a good soak in hot water to see if there is just some gunk in there?

It's very easy to disassemble and clean.
I had same problem in my Futur after few months of use, disassembled it ,clean it, and the problem disappeared.

What you do is pop out the cup, remove blade, put Futur on 6 and then press with you big thumb on top (you feel it moves down, but spring is strong, so you need to press hard) and rotate handle past 6 until its separated

I thing there are instructions (or even movie on youtube), just search "Futur disassembling"

Mine are fine so far and I use a stiff toothbrush that is one that you get at the hotels when you forget yours and have to get one at the front desk. I bought a gallon of distilled water from the grocery for $1 and soak and then brush my Futur ocassionally. I do need to find the website for Futur disassembling. That is good advise and a quick brush down after use works well.

Disassemble it, and use the smallest amount of silicon grease or plumbers grease to lubricate. To Disassemble, open the razor to its widest gap and then remove the cap. Then put your index and middle finger below the head (with the handle between your two fingers) and push and hold down the top of the head with your thumb. While holding down (you will feel the tension of the spring while you are holding the head down), with your other hand, unscrew the handle. Once the handle is off, you will see the place on the handle that needs the grease. Use just the smallest amount. When you reassemble the razor, it should adjust much smoother than before.

It seems on some Futur razors, the bottom blade support holder (the part above the spring that has the wires) may only be reassembled in one direction. Before you replace the cap, make sure that when you set your razor to its lowest setting that this part is completely flush (no gap) with the head beneath it. If there is a gap, turn the blade support holder around and recheck it.

eric.

just noticed with my futur that it was getting hard to turn, I did dissasemble it as the instructions above, but I did notice that I had to screw it in a few times before getting the mechanism to work correctly because it wiggled a bit and the blade would easily move and change its gap.

I have decided that maintaining my futur is more problem than it is worth, and have taken it out of rotation for now.

My futur was difficult to adjust when it was brand new. I put a single drop of oil in it and worked it back and forth and it's been fine ever since.

My futur was difficult to adjust when it was brand new. I put a single drop of oil in it and worked it back and forth and it's been fine ever since.

Same here. (I used Balistol oil, same as I use on my straight blades.)

I'm glad it worked, because adjusting the Futur when it's tight is the most dangerous thing about it. Scares me silly.

Most people expect changing the blade to be the dangerous part, but that's easy. Ignore the thumb notch, and instead push the top cap off from the bottom. When one side is loose, do the same on the other side and off it comes.

Same here. (I used Balistol oil, same as I use on my straight blades.)
I just pulled this thread up because I forgot how to pull apart my Futur, and wanted to clean it (no idea why my shaving cream residue turns bright pink on the Futur).

I'm a big fan of the Balistol too, for many, many things - including cleaning the exterior of my razors. It really shifts soap scum quickly. It's just white oil (mineral oil), with a little oleic acid and alcohol. Very mild stuff, non-toxic, and quite a nice CLP...particularly kind on plastics and rubber.

Though, just be warned, Balistol does not displace water. In fact, it actually forms a nice white emulsification with water - black power shooters like this property for cleaning out their bores. For protecting the internal threads of your Futur, I'd probably go for something a little different. If money is no object Boshield T-9 is incredible stuff (overkill for this application though).

It's kind of the same reason, that if you live in a humid area, Balistol is not the best for protecting your tools, firearms, etc. in storage. But otherwise, for most other purposes it's really nice stuff (even if at times, it's somewhat over-hyped).

Zombie thread resurrection. I've been using a Merkur Futur since Jan 2018 and it developed an odd "patina" on the finish of the head and the handle. Thanks for the recommendations on disassembly and cleaning; it came apart easily and I used white vinegar and a soft bristle toothbrush for the actual cleaning. There wasn't a lot of "crud" build-up but the patina cleaned up really nicely.

Top Bottom