What's new

I think I want to try straight razor shaving

so, I guess i'll need some recommendations from the almight forum.

- are there any decent straight razor video tutorials?

- who are some of the reputable online retailers that specialize in straight razor goodies?

- I'd also like some brand recommendations. which companies make good straight razors? strops?

- any other general advice would be appreciated. you know, tips on how not to sever my jugular, how to strop, etc.

Last edited:
Straight-razor shaving can be intimidating and scary. By joining us in this hallowed forum, you are taking your life in your hands and testing your bravery and masculinity...

et-cetera, et-cetera, et-cetera...

There's lots of written information to be had about straight-shaving, but to my knowledge, there's no video-tutorials on websites such as YouTube which you can watch. Most of them are "Dude, I can shave with a gnarly straight razor. Check it!". One possible one is the two videos by "ShayKai" (just type in "Straight razor shave" on Youtube and his videos should pop right up). They cover the basics fairly thoroughly and they were an inspiration for me to start straight-shaving.

The two most reputable modern companies for straight-razors are DOVO (from Solingen, in Germany) and Thiers-Issard, from Thiers, in France. There are several vintage razors of varying degrees of quality. There's a list somewhere (I think on Straight Razor Place) which advises which vintage brands NOT TO BUY.

Honing your razor is done edge-first (you slide the blade shaving-edge foremost) across the honing-stone. Stropping is done the opposite way, spine-first (sliding the spine-edge of the blade foremost).

If you reverse that, you'll ruin the razor by destroying the spine and slicing up your strop. You don't want to do that.

Figuring out the right blade-angle can be extremely intimidating, but it's not impossible. When I started shaving with a straight-razor, I held the razor with BOTH hands to figure out the right angle. Once I'd figured out the right angle, then I shaved with one hand and stretched the skin with the other. Getting a close shave to start with is NOT your aim. Your aim is to get your technique down first, THEN start shaving. If you try and run before you can crawl, you're going to have an accident. If you end up anything like I have, figuring out the correct angle to shave will come naturally.

There's lots of written information to be had about straight-shaving, but to my knowledge, there's no video-tutorials on websites such as YouTube which you can watch. Most of them are "Dude, I can shave with a gnarly straight razor. Check it!".

+1 on that! When I first started, I looked at a bunch of videos on youtube. Most of them messed me up more than helping. It was like watching a professional golfer play on TV and then going out to the local range and expecting to strike the ball in the same way. One of the most useful ones for me was done by Lynn Abrams. It was a no-nonsense tutorial that went all the way from strop to shiny face with tips and instructions along the way.

Mercifully, Lynn opted to eliminate the acid rock background music; long, swooping strokes from cheek bone to collar bone that no mortal could possibly pull off; and dramatics and props such as cigarettes and swigs from whiskey bottles. Like I said, he just kept it real.

Well...check out the BST section for razors that go on sale. Alternatively, you can check out SRD (Straight Razor Designs.com) for goodies that you can get and get you started. They have everything under one roof so to speak.

it's important to realize that the techniques involved is str8 razor shaving are vastly different than DE shaving...there are more rituals in maintenance and preparation of hardware compared to DE.

You will have a steep learning curve, but not insurmountable...it is relatively easy to learn.

First thing you will need to ascertain is the size of the blade...what is your size, so to speak? 5/8"? 6/8"? 7/8"? bigger? smaller?

Second is the grind...full hollow, wedge, 1/4 grind, etc...

The only way to learn 1 and 2 is to buy a few and test them out.

Make sure whatever you buy as a beginner is to get a shave ready razor...not eBay or anything...Shave ready. This way you know what a sharp razor looks and feels like.

Like DE shaving, pressure and angle have to be reckoned with...but in the case of str8 razors, angle is vastly important because there is literally 180º to work with.

You will need a strop...When I started, I invested in a good strop (Premium IV Bridle strop from SRD)...it will serve you well

There's more, but I will stop here to let you digest.

That's great! If you want to try it PM your address and I'll send you some beauiful Sweedish steel that loves cutting whiskers on fresh meat :lol: at least you'll know if you like it and I'll even send you a strop. Give it the weekend and give it a whirl before you go out and buy.

That's great! If you want to try it PM your address and I'll send you some beauiful Sweedish steel that loves cutting whiskers on fresh meat :lol: at least you'll know if you like it and I'll even send you a strop. Give it the weekend and give it a whirl before you go out and buy.

:thumbup1:

Good people!

Very nice Mark!

I can attest that swedish steel is excellent. I just honed up an Engstrom recently and it is a beautiful shave.

Very nice Mark!

I can attest that swedish steel is excellent. I just honed up an Engstrom recently and it is a beautiful shave.

I second that, I have been shaving with nothing but my Erik Anton Berg for a month now and it has been a smooth ride. Hopefully my face will be tasting some Heljestrand and Soederen by the end of the month.
:thumbup:

proxy.php

Good people!

Very nice Mark!

+1
Excellent Steel and Excellent Meatballs :lol:

+1 to the generous offer. B&B is a grand place.

I second that, I have been shaving with nothing but my Erik Anton Berg for a month now and it has been a smooth ride. Hopefully my face will be tasting some Heljestrand and Soederen by the end of the month.
:thumbup:

Legion

Staff member
It might be worth popping over to Straight Razor Place and cruising around on their forum for a while. The amount of straight razor info that those guys cover will make your head spin. They also have a pretty useful wiki which I often refer to.

Top Bottom