What's new

Aftershave Prejudice?

Are we judged at Work by our aftershave/cologne? I read an interesting article where the majority younger crowd working at Google faced interacting with 40 up workers. One made a comment that they would rather "Smell Old Spicers than 40 ouncers".
I love the vintage fragrances, Polo Green, Old Spice including Burly, I have even grown fond of certain Bay Rums.
Last week I was searching for a local supplier for Tabac Products and called Macys, Belks and Dilliards. Without hesitation all three Clerks told me that was "Old School" and they only carried "Current" fragrances.
By smelling like "fresh from the Barbershop" or "Too eighties" are we hurting our chances to compete at the workplace?
By loving "Old Man smells" are we (gasp) confirming we are old men?
I think I know the answer and it won't stop me from searching out fine old fragrances.

Let's just say the bottle of ViJon Spice I just bought will be used very sparingly. I love the scent, but yes it is old man, and I think especially on a younger person people actually look down on someone for not wearing expensive aftershaves or better yet nothing at all. It's even getting to the point now I think that ANY aftershave/cologne is offensive, let alone older scents.

You have that right. My friend at work who is a manager as well as an avid hunter prides himself on wearing "No Scent Scents", antiperspirant and human scent masking cologne.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Don't confuse "Classic" with "old man".

What smells "old man" is in the mind of the smeller, and it's going to be different for different people.

No scent, in and of itself, has an "old man" smell, unless you're speaking of the smell of soiled Depends.

If someone "old" and significant in a persons life habitually used a specific scent, that THAT person associates THAT scent as "old man" smelling.

There are a sufficient quantity of quality scents that have been around long enough for almost anyone to have an "old man" association with a given scent.

In years to come, invariably, someone will say that Axe has an "old man" smell.

Don't worry about it. Performance still matters.

Dress well, be neat and clean, perform at your best level, and avoid stinking up the place with whatever scent you choose. But don't discard a scent you like because someone is narrow minded enough to associate the scent that their Angry Father used with everyone else who wears a similar scent.

Choosing a particular scent because YOU don't think it has an "old man" smell doesn't mean that the next person you meet won't.
And just because one person thinks your scent is "old man" smelling doesn't mean that the significant people in your workplace do.

Your wearing to much cologne if people can smell it without getting closer then like 6" of you. So none of your coworkers should be getting wiff of your stank all day long. I'm a young guy that likes old spice and hates fresh aquatics but i won't discriminate against my peers, because they have bad taste in something like scent, clothes, music or what have you.

Last edited:

An excellent point of view. A while back I was chatting to the lady on the fragrance counter trying to choose a new aftershave based on my favourites.

She commented that my choices were the classic choices, in the end I stuck with those I know. The conversation strayed into womens perfume, again mine are the classics such as Chanel Number 5, La Dolce Vita etc. For comparison she demonstrated a modern fragrance with a vanilla note against La Dolce Vita. The modern one, which is apparently popular with the younger customers, was sickly sweet and didn't stand up against La Dolce Vita. I can't recall which one it was but it was something likely Britney Spears or another such role model!

Classic perfumes/aftershaves/fragrances are classics for a reason. I wear classic scents and am proud if these distinguish me from the 'younger customers'

Roy

It's all subjective. In ten years Coolwater and Polo Sport will be the "old man" fragrances, guys will be told, "you smell like my dad".

Being married makes it easier, I don't have to think about what other people think, only 2 of us need to like a fragrance and her favorite is Old Spice Musk which I also love so :thumbup:

Every morning there are such stories on my MSN homepage.

What will they think of this at work? What will they think of that? What will your co-workers think? Your manager?

Their intent is to create one mini-crisis after another which they generally solve by providing some inane advice, or by giving some totally banal solution.

I try to look at this as just a writer trying to come up with some copy, and groping around for anything they can get their hands on. Stories about the job are a natural.

Be your own person is the only advice I'd give anyone.

Every morning there are such stories on my MSN homepage.

What will they think of this at work? What will they think of that? What will your co-workers think? Your manager?

Their intent is to create one mini-crisis after another which they generally solve by providing some inane advice, or by giving some totally banal solution.

I try to look at this as just a writer trying to come up with some copy, and groping around for anything they can get their hands on. Stories about the job are a natural.

Be your own person is the only advice I'd give anyone.

First a big +1 on Luvmysuper's (Phil) comments. Second, it is not "banal" to state to be your own person. I think it is sound advice, and much like I received from my father who told me years ago to always: "be my own man". I love Clubman, and I have a few old time colognes that really work well with my chemistry-Lagerfeld, Polo Black, etc. If they smell "old mannish"-too bad. There is a line between having a nice subtle smell, and on the other, broadcasting fragrance to those around you. My rule is that it should be enough for me to smell it on myself, and of course when SWMBO gets close, and perhaps for people to catch a mild whiff, but not to hit people in the face with it. I know pretty well how much of each cologne or fragrance to put on and stay within my personal boundaries. That is what I think is the place to be.

This always humours me when it comes up. And no, I am not mocking the OP. He asked a legitimate question. I think much of the brouhaha about new vs old school scents has more to do with the whole phenomena of "scent allergy" I hear about everywhere. I think what most people react badly to are the NEW school scents. By that I mean most anything that has come out in the last 25 years. Almost all of it has that marine/aquatic/shampoo scent to it at some level and there are always those who put way too much of it on. And here I chastise our fairer sex the most. 95% of the time when I smell fragrance overload, a woman is the culprit. There is always "that guy" who you immediately know has entered the building. It hits you even harder because it is a bit more unusual. Bad form has led to people saying they are allergic to scents. I think in most cases they are "allergic" to over applied scents. Add to it all modern scents seem to have the same underlying plastic/water note and uh...well you can see where I am going.

Maybe it does have to do with age(I'm 47) but I have gotten almost nothing but positive comments about my old school scents. People don't know most scents from squat. At least by name. Take my #74 Victorian Limes. It gets consistently great comments and it is about as old time as you can get. It is rich, and long lasting for a citrus scent and people react well to it. Same thing with Brooks Brothers 1818. Polo or Polo Blue? Well, they may be "old" to some but they are most certainly part of the newer generation of scents. Judicious application is always the key.

Regards, Todd

What smells "old man" is in the mind of the smeller, and it's going to be different for different people.

No scent, in and of itself, has an "old man" smell, unless you're speaking of the smell of soiled Depends.

If someone "old" and significant in a persons life habitually used a specific scent, that THAT person associates THAT scent as "old man" smelling.

There are a sufficient quantity of quality scents that have been around long enough for almost anyone to have an "old man" association with a given scent.

In years to come, invariably, someone will say that Axe has an "old man" smell.

Don't worry about it. Performance still matters.

Dress well, be neat and clean, perform at your best level, and avoid stinking up the place with whatever scent you choose. But don't discard a scent you like because someone is narrow minded enough to associate the scent that their Angry Father used with everyone else who wears a similar scent.

Choosing a particular scent because YOU don't think it has an "old man" smell doesn't mean that the next person you meet won't.
And just because one person thinks your scent is "old man" smelling doesn't mean that the significant people in your workplace do.

Very well put, Phil. Couldn't have said it better.

Don't be afraid to stand out in the crowd--wear your scent with pride! Long live the Aqua Velva, or the Brut and Clubman! Scour the internet for the Shulton Old Spice! Buy up loads of TOBS!

When you have Clubman on, it's hard not to fill the room! The stuff is so concentrated.

I smacked my freshly-shaven mug with it this morning and I feel like there's a cloud around me.

It's one damn fine smelling cloud, though!

Well, we are preaching to the choir around here anyway! One of the genuine pleasures of getting older is that you get to that prized position of not giving a da*n what people think. I love it.

Well, we are preaching to the choir around here anyway! One of the genuine pleasures of getting older is that you get to that prized position of not giving a da*n what people think. I love it.

+1. I guess I care some for what other people think. But what I think matters much more to me than what anybody else thinks. While there are some parts of youth that I would be happy to have back, I don't miss the insecurity at all. The ability to live comfortably in your own skin definitely improves with age.

I wear the old scents after shaves because I like them. It is not for someone else's benefit. If this identifies one as old fashioned, so what?

If you are wet shaving and reading B&B everyday you are old fashioned!

Hehe, I just came across this

proxy.php

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/

How did Polo become an Old School scent? It's from the '80's not the '40's. 30 years old is not old school. Granted Ralph Lauren always played the dorky old fart part and his stuff does suck but putting it in the Old School is granting his foppish dandy water too much respect.

Dress well, be neat and clean, perform at your best level, and avoid stinking up the place with whatever scent you choose.quote]

Well said!

Last week I wore Clubman to work. One of the young guys (early 20s) looked at me and said, "Dude, you smell like a barbershop. Love that old school barbershop smell."

That comment just didn't make my day.

It made my week!

Top Bottom