What's new

The perfect shoe!

I just bought a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit. It's a single breast, blue with pinstripes, and will be out of the tailor's after being altered tomorrow... so I now want a pair of brown (cognac or similar patina) shoes.

Here's my thoughts, I definitely want a Blucher style, but should I go wingtip, cap-toe, or split-toe. If you have a specific brand/model to recommend please do so!

Mike

I would wear something similar to this in fall/winter and lighter honey brown in spring and summer. Made to order shoes from Leffot in NYC

Winter/Fall
proxy.php

Spring/Summer
proxy.php

Try Herring shoes, www,herringshoes.co.uk, I;ve just bought some of their own brand, perfect fit. They do many different styles and colours.

No connection to them, just advice.

I've been wanting to buy a pair of Church's for a while, unfortunately, the Church's store in DC closed last year. I believe the only Church's in the US is in NYC, cannot find a US website. Since I do not know how Herring or Church's fit, I'm very hesitant to order from the UK.

I understand and agree with you, given the price of the church shoes, while I consider they are worth it I doubt I would buy a pair with out having tried them on and finding the best size and width fitting

I keep looking at AE's but find their designs less than inspiring, very tired designs. They really need to update their styles.

Truth is true.

AE dropped some limited edition shoes last week the designs aren't as bad as their usual stuff but any one who hears "limited edition Allen Edmonds" will just burst out laughing and is well with in their rights... I mean seriously image the conversation in what ever pr firm they use that happened to lead to this.

Pre-internet era Junior Brand Manager: What is that on your monitor there?
PR intern who couldn't get a better internships because they look at superfutre for fashion news: Superfuture
JBM: What is a "superfuture"
Intern: umm its a blog.
JBM: Blog? I think I have heard of those from Younger Executive Who Gets Better Accounts Because He Is In-touch With Things, let me see this blog thing.
Intern: ummm Ok... do you like have any work for me to do or something?
JBM: hmmm is this what you kids are wearing these days? in my day shoes didn't look like that.
Intern: Those are Limited Edition Nike X Supreme boat shoes they go for like $3000 on ebay
JBM: so limited edition shoes are a good thing? They get press? On blogs?
Intern: Yeah the limited editions and colabs are always blowing up the blogosphere.
JBM: good work, now go sort those paper clips according to size.

I'm an Alden fan. It started from B&B. I get a lot of wear from both the brwn captoe plain and cap toe with brouge. Some ideas:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm

OR specifically these: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/04/10/alden-shoes-vintage-big-punch-oxford/

Once you figure out your size, you can search for deals and sales.

+1 for Alden and Alden of Carmel. I purchased a pair of kudu Indy's from them recently and received exceptional service from Adam.

The Alden Cognac Wingtip may have just won, that is a very smart looking shoe! I'm always scared to order a shoe that I have not tried on. I've had two pairs of Church shoes, and they are very nice, but the varience in their different lasts means that I would have to try them on before purchasing. Of course I am going to have to talk to Leffot before I commit to the shoe, I've always wanted a custom made pair of shoes.

Mike

Last edited:
Truth is true.

AE dropped some limited edition shoes last week the designs aren't as bad as their usual stuff but any one who hears "limited edition Allen Edmonds" will just burst out laughing and is well with in their rights... I mean seriously image the conversation in what ever pr firm they use that happened to lead to this.

Pre-internet era Junior Brand Manager: What is that on your monitor there?
PR intern who couldn't get a better internships because they look at superfutre for fashion news: Superfuture
JBM: What is a "superfuture"
Intern: umm its a blog.
JBM: Blog? I think I have heard of those from Younger Executive Who Gets Better Accounts Because He Is In-touch With Things, let me see this blog thing.
Intern: ummm Ok... do you like have any work for me to do or something?
JBM: hmmm is this what you kids are wearing these days? in my day shoes didn't look like that.
Intern: Those are Limited Edition Nike X Supreme boat shoes they go for like $3000 on ebay
JBM: so limited edition shoes are a good thing? They get press? On blogs?
Intern: Yeah the limited editions and colabs are always blowing up the blogosphere.
JBM: good work, now go sort those paper clips according to size.

Well done, Clever Guy who seems Suspiciously In Touch with Such Dispiriting Processes.

Culwell and Son in Dallas carries Alden, so you can check out various styles and lasts and see if they work for you. And as I recall, John Lobb's traveling representatives come to Dallas once or twice a year.

I have Aldens but can't say I find them particularly fashion forward. Superb footwear, but in the American traditional vein. The Euro makers have more "style" to my eyes. But with a kid in private school and college coming too fast, I can't help but gasp at the price of a pair of Lobbs.

Thanks for that info my19, I'm going to head out to Culwell and Son this weekend. I haven't been there since I was probably 14 (they used to sell Boy Scout uniforms), but their location is now a Pep Boys. I'll have to see where they are at now.

Mike

I just bought a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit. It's a single breast, blue with pinstripes, and will be out of the tailor's after being altered tomorrow... so I now want a pair of brown (cognac or similar patina) shoes.

Here's my thoughts, I definitely want a Blucher style, but should I go wingtip, cap-toe, or split-toe. If you have a specific brand/model to recommend please do so!

Mike

Any particular reason your set on Bluchers? Balmorals are much more appropriate for a suit.

What price range are you in?

I think Crockett and Jones have a good price / value ratio. They make some slightly more fashion forward shoes on their popular 348 last, but also make many on more traditional lasts.

I suggest the C&J Drummond for you:

proxy.php

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/1864.php

PLAL.com no longer ships C&J shoes to the USA, BTW.

Top Bottom