What's new

How many shaves do you get from one blade?

Hi all,

Curious as to how many shaves folks get from a single blade? I like Feathers blades which the advertising says are good for 8 shaves and maybe they are. But I find that the 3rd shave is the sweet spot and after 5 shaves it's time to junk the blade. What are other's experiences?

So far, I get at least 7 shaves from the K Mart Good Sense DE Blades. I got some Personna DE blades from WalMart and barely get 3 shaves out of them.

My records are 22 from Personna 74, 15 from a PTFE GEM SE Blade (Ted Pella), 12 from an Astra Keramik and a Red Pack Personna, and 10 from an Astra Superior.

I usually swap out a blade every week.

Hi all,

Curious as to how many shaves folks get from a single blade? I like Feathers blades which the advertising says are good for 8 shaves and maybe they are. But I find that the 3rd shave is the sweet spot and after 5 shaves it's time to junk the blade. What are other's experiences?

Well, it depends on the blade. Most current production blades and the old Schick Platinum Plus give me 3, maybe 4 shaves. I get 3 shaves with a Pella SE. NOS Gillette Super Blues give me 3 great shaves, and then they die. Personna74's range from 10~14 shaves with the injector blade, and 14~21 shaves with the '74 DE. Derby's last 3 good shaves, etc. Feathers never lasted beyond three shaves for me.

Understand that everyone has similar but different results.

-- John GEhman

Usually three to four shaves. I change blades religiously on Wednesday and Sunday nights (I'm a night shaver), so I never have a dull blade these days.

generally, with my 5 'o clocks, I get between 5 and 6 good shaves, and 2 shaves for the ones I use on my head, which are generally red personnas.

5 - 7 shaves a blade, Rinsing and wiping dry after each shave. I have squeaked out a couple more shaves by palm stropping them but usually don't take the time lately.

Most blades give me 4-5 quality shaves, but Feathers are only good for me for 3 shaves and some times that is pushing it.

I usually get 5-10 shaves per blade. I've gotten more from some blades, but usually just stop at 7 or 10 depending on how the blade is working.

5-6 shaves is the norm for me. I tend to switch out once a week and shave every day. I use the Shark Superchromes, and 5-6 is usually about right, but if it's only 2-3 occasionally, it is what it is. I change the blade when it's no longer comfortable to shave with.

7 shaves per blade and I use mainly Gillette Super Thins and Red Pack Personna with a Derby thrown in from time to time.

I change blades on friday.
Wp

I get at least 4 shaves from any blade I've tried so far. I've tried going longer and it was OK with some but a couple of times the fifth was real rough so I just don't bother any more.
Maybe it's just me but I think the DE blades go from good to bad much more quickly than cartridge blades. When I shaved with a cartridge I could feel the blade get gradually worse but with DEs it seems like one day it's fine and the next day it's terrible. Maybe because the DEs when they are good are so much better than the cartridges at any time.

Last edited:
With most platinums and chromes I allow for 3 or 4 shaves. The exceptions being: Feathers, where I typically draw blood after 2 days, and Merkurs, where I draw blood on day 1, but are okay on 2-3. With stainless and super stainless (whatever that means) I go 4-5 days. Exceptions: Sharks, Yellow 7s, and Iridiums, where I can get 5-6 shaves, and probably more, but haven't tried.

I'm guessing, as a rule, the multi-coated, pricey blades are sharper than the stainless, and my preference for the stainless, more forgiving blades, is related to my technique (and its inconsistencies). Oddities of my technique: I get better shaves with Feathers in the Futur set on 3 than in the HD. Same with Shark chromes. And, I get the best shaves with stainless anythings in the HD. Finally, I don't remember when I've had a nick or irritation with the travel razor, a long-handled classic with stainless blades.

hi all
three to four max. pull like no tomorrow if used any longer, i suppose it depends how many passes ,3 for me each shave. another how tough is your hair.lengh of hair too.:bored:

I always use a blade 7 for days, a fresh one in a different razor every Sunday moring. By days 6 and 7, the I often notice that the shave is not as close and long lasting as earlier in the week, but very acceptable nonetheless. Right now my blade of preference is Derby and I also get good shaves from the Personas I get at Wal-Mart. Derby's just seemed to be more consistent in quality.

A new blade every Sunday morning is my routine and it does work well for me. Makes it easy to remember when to replace.

Depends on the blade. Usually, I get around 5 decent shaves before the tugging and dragging begins to affect shave quality. I've gotten as many as 7 and as few as 2 from a single blade.

I limit myself to 3 shaves per blade. The last time I went over 3 shaves a blade it felt a little dull.

I'm with Speedwell on this one. I find I get the best shaves with the least amount of work if I limit the blades to no more than 3 shaves each. Could probably push it longer, but the quality of the shave begins to suffer.

Top Bottom