What's new

Pinaud Special Reserve

proxy.php

"I'm afraid it's worse than that, Bromhead. In the last attack, one of those devils put an assegai right through the last bottle of Pinaud Special Reserve."

I've heard good things about SR but do not have in my arsenal.

Is it similar to PIBR? I keep hearing of the similaries. If its similar, I may not jump to purchase.

proxy.php

"I'm afraid it's worse than that, Bromhead. In the last attack, one of those devils put an assegai right through the last bottle of Pinaud Special Reserve."
LOLOLOL!!! I LOVE that movie! Nicely done!

BTW, I had SR in my rotation at one point and I only wore it because I paid for it. Then I threw it out. IMHO, English Leather is WAY better. But I do love Pinaud products in general.

B

bluefoxicy

I've heard good things about SR but do not have in my arsenal.

Is it similar to PIBR? I keep hearing of the similaries. If its similar, I may not jump to purchase.

To me it smells entirely different. PIBR is more spicy and cinnamon. This is more smokey, filled out by what I suppose is heady rose.

BTW, I had SR in my rotation at one point and I only wore it because I paid for it. Then I threw it out. IMHO, English Leather is WAY better. But I do love Pinaud products in general.

I'll have to obtain some English Leather.

...mmm!

Special Reserve!

I don't find it at all similar to Bay Rum... closer to some leathers.

good stuff, eh? (Is this the same as the old Pinaud Napoleon splash?)

I've smelled the SR in the bottle several times but I've never purchased it. To me, it smelled like they dumped all the leftover batches of their other frags into a batch at the end of production each day, and that was SR. :lol:

However, I am going to purchase a bottle this Fall, and see how it smells on my skin. Wish me luck!

I like it, but not for every day. The scent is kind of heavy and busy - you can smell almost anything/everything you want to in there - and has real staying power. If I'm not enthusiastic and mentally prepared to smell it all day, I won't use it. I usually have one of those days about every month or so, more often in cold weather.

I have a sample of it and love the scent but my wife says it's way too strong when I put it on.

Still considering buying a bottle. She also does not like Bay Rum...also considering buying.

Luckily, she loves Clubman.

Next to find and try is Pinaud Vanilla.

Last time I wore SR, I had SWMBO critique it. Her response was that it was too woody and that it was on the strong side. However, she was right up on me when she critiqued, and had no comment from a few feet away.

I have to agree with some of what has been said earlier, it is one of those things that I have to be in a certain mood to wear. Additionally, I really pick up a smoky tone to it.

We had a fun thread about this a while ago. Here's my review from it:

Clubman Special Reserve has been on my shelf for a while, but it wasn't my favorite Pinaud offering. I thought that it was almost great. I liked the leathery scent--not smoky, oily, soapy or sweet. Like military harness from another era, or a leather-bound volume. But it had something else going on in it too--like someone had put a shot from the Vegetal tank in there. In Lilac Vegetal--which I love--the sweetness of the lilac takes the edge off the dark organic scent (OK, OK--YMMV). But with Special Reserve, there was nothing to do that. After using it for a while, I began to think that the "pot liquor" undertone made the whole thing a little unpleasant. I got rid of what was left in the bottle.

Today, I was down at my friendly neighborhood Clubman store, picking up a bottle of Osage Rub and some Eau de Quinine. Something about the Clubman Special Reserve on the shelf looked different to me. I picked up the bottle and held it up to the light--the juice is a different color. My old Special Reserve was dark brown--like strong tea. Now its green. Not bright green like ocha, but a little muddled. I couldn't resist.

Gentlemen, the wizards at Pinaud have outdone themselves. This is an amazing fragrance. Everything that was good about the old Special Reserve remains--leather, a touch of vanilla, perhaps a hint of spice. The murky vegetal scent has been toned down to the point that it is almost--almost, but not quite--gone. It's strong, a fragrance to be used wisely. And it's very, very good.

Have you ever read Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste? Imagine that it's an autumn day in 1635. You're a soldier, long in service, just returned to Madrid. You sit down at a small table in a familiar tavern. You brush off the dust of the road, toss your cloak across the chair next to you, your gloves and hat on top of them. You stretch your legs out in front of you, feel the warm afternoon sun on your face. The wine is strong and fragrant, your well cared-for sword is close at hand. You see an old friend approaching from across the square. It's good to be alive.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129527&highlight=clubman+special+reserve

One evening after shaving and splashing on Clubman Special Reserve my girlfriend, soul mate, & lover sat up in bed after I entered the room and said.

"I need to tell you how much I dislike the smell of that stuff ... frankly it leaves me cold. I must ask you not to use it before we retire. And that goes for the Bay Rum that company sells."

"I like it !" says I climbing into bed.

"Yes,I know you do" says she ... "But it's either you stop wearing that stuff when where together or I'm gone"

That was last February, and at times, I sure do miss her.

Last edited:

[YOUTUBE]1csr0dxalpI[/YOUTUBE]

Men of Pinaud stop your dreaming
Can't you see our razors gleaming
See our alcohol splashes streaming
To razor burn unhealed

Men of Pinaud stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the post-shave were not ready
With plastic bottles unsealed

From the dens rebounding
Let this scent be sounding
Summon all to Pinaud's call