What's new

GREAT SHAVE! Need Menthol Bombs. List the most extreme.

What a great idea! MENTHOL CRYSTALS! How much would I add to an Osage sized bottle? What would I start with? A tablespoon and go from there?

The new Gillette intense cooling aftershave balm is probably the coldest balm I have ever encountered, also Osage rub is crazy cold.
:velva2:

I forgot to mention The Shave Den's "Iced" A/S line. They also offer a "Double Iced" option. I'm really enjoying their Double Iced Lime with allantoin this summer.

They also offer "M-Bomb", which is simply mentholated glycerin. It can be used alone (only a drop or two - I apply it to my moist face post-shave) or added to any soap, cream or A/S for your own custom menthol product. :thumbup1:

I like Godrej Menthol Mist cream, and Aqua Velva Ice Blue AS, as well as Master Iceland Breeze AS.
Still looking for an AS that will freeze my face off, as I work outside and in hot warehouses and the Atlanta summers are brutal

Is Osage Rub made by Jeris? I think I saw it on Atlanta Barber and Beauty Supply's website for $4.50 a bottle. If I'd known a couple of weeks ago, I would have ordered it when I ordered my Master Iceland Breeze/Lord & Master/Lilac Vegetol/Bay Rum, Mar-V-Cide, plastic generic Barbicide jar, and Campbell's shave cream.

You can clean your face with Noxzema cold cream or the generic equivalent(I use the Wal-Mart version) before shaving, or even use it as a shave cream. I sometimes use it after shaving, too(before my AS splash, just for the cooling effect)
You could buy some menthol crystals to add to your aftershave.
Gillette Sensitive Skin After Shave Gel has menthol.
Aramis aftershave has menthol and is more cooling than Aqua Velva, though the scent is more of a cold weather scent(IMO, anyway). AV Ice Blue is a definite summer scent.
You could try some Mineral Ice pain relieving gel or the generic equivalent (no difference). I'll have my wife rub me down with it on hot days.

Can you please explain the purpose of cold cream. I have not been able to figure it out. What is primarily used for? I tried Ponds cold cream but was none the wiser as to the designated purpose of it. Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Gentlemen.
I wish to present the Cyril Salter facebomb! :w00t:

10ml peppermint essential oil £2:59
proxy.php

5g menthol crystals £2:69
proxy.php

Half a tub of this:
proxy.php

And here is what I did:
1. Place a large glass bowl over a smallish saucepan with a little simmering water in it. Let it warm up for a couple of minutes.
2. Empty the 10ml peppermint oil into the bowl
3. Tip about 2g (just under half) the menthol crystals into the warm oil
4. Stand back
5. Gently stir the mixture at arm's length with a teaspoon for a couple of minutes
6. Turn the heat off & allow it to cool a bit
7. Carefully pour the mentholated oil into a small container & store

I have a half used (100ml) Cyril Salter cream to which I added 1 teaspoon of the mentholated oil mix. I stirred it in well & then tested the lather.
The cooling factor was about halfway between Proraso green & Ingrams. I like it colder than Ingrams (or else what's the point?) so I added another teaspoon & again mixed well.
The cream is now slightly more face freezing than my QCS Vostok cream, but also easier to lather.
The only down side is that the peppermint/menthol has taken away virtually all of the delicate fresh mint scent, but that was to be expected I suppose!

Last edited:
My suggestion - make your own menthol additive: Get some menthol crystals (go to a drug store and ask the pharmacist... they have it) and then go to a whole foods store and get peppermint EO - poke a few holes into your soap, mix a couple crystals (it takes VERY LITTLE) with some EO until it dissolve... put on top of the soap and let it soak into the holes.. WAIT overnight and you will be astounded at how fresh it is in the morning - that will wake you up!!

Top Bottom