What's new

Cornbread recipe

I made a batch last night using Jiffy and the cats got into it before it got cooled off enough to put up! Momma had to rescue the cats from the Mad Cook.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Seems like it's been long enough, I need to make more cornbread this week-end!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Seems like it's been long enough, I need to make more cornbread this week-end!

If you haven't read through "Cast Iron Cornbread" it's worth doing, there are a lot of nice recipe's in that thread. I like the one with buttermilk and a touch of honey or sugar. Chopped peppers make for a little spice. Cheese can also be added.

Yep- grits are pepper and butter only for me.

yeah, black pepper and butter.

But often for dinner grits, I will make Nassau style. First time I ever ate them it was served along side some smoked mullet, I was immediately hooked on Nassau grits.

-jim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
yeah, black pepper and butter.

But often for dinner grits, I will make Nassau style. First time I ever ate them it was served along side some smoked mullet, I was immediately hooked on Nassau grits.

-jim
What is Nassau style? I just had some grits yesterday for lunch at Cracker Barrel, along with eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, and hash brown casserole

Cornbread with sugar in it.
Cornbread cooked in something other than cast iron.
Cornbread without any bacon grease in it.
BLASPHEMY!
+1

And white flour helps hold it together, but don't go crazy with it. It's CORN bread! Should be mostly cornmeal. . . . I usually add an extra egg more than most folks.
I like mine a touch crumbly and don't add wheat flour. I will occasionally add corn starch. I don't add eggs either, and I find cultured buttermilk an important part of the ingredients.

I think I'll cook up some greens, field peas, and cornbread for tomorrow's dinner!

What is Nassau style? I just had some grits yesterday for lunch at Cracker Barrel, along with eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon, and hash brown casserole

saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, chopped up ham. Add in chopped up canned tomatoes, grits and enough liquid and cook. I think that is basically it. What isn't finished, refrigerate in a flat, greased pan and the next morning, slice up and fry.

back to cornbread!

-jim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like the Grits at Cracker Barrel.
They aren't bad for sure. That day I noticed that they sold 2 lb packs of bacon for $10.99 so I snagged a couple. A 12 oz pack at the grocery store is $5.99- that is a rip off.
saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, chopped up ham. Add in chopped up canned tomatoes, grits and enough liquid and cook. I think that is basically it. What isn't finished, refrigerate in a flat, greased pan and the next morning, slice up and fry.

back to cornbread!

-jim
I will have to give it a try.

I have regrettably never made cornbread from scratch before. This is something I will have to rectify in the near future.

My mom always used Jiffy so that's what I've used. I like to double the batch and then add a half of a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that I run through the food processor first. It's kinda like jalapeño cornbread but with a smoky flavor.

I baked some cornbread today. Rather than using a 10" pan, I used two #5 pans. The two came out perfectly, and will be cut into 1/8ths so serve as breakfast.

Top Bottom