What's new

Obscure Japanese AS

I'm going to be in Japan for a couple of months starting in July and I'd like to acquire some of the more obscure aftershaves. I've got Bravas, Auslese, Lucido, Valcan, both Eroicas, Mandom and 4711 Portugal (which I guess isn't technically Japanese). I want to pick up Basala if I can find it--both the AS and cologne. What else should I be looking for?

Vintage?? I don't know how obscure it is but it definitely falls in line with the likes of Bravas.

Nid

Keep us up to date on what you're able to find. The Japanese AS's are brilliant. I'm slowing down on my ASAD but I've left a little room on my shelf for some more Japanese AS.

Luc, you really did a nice job with that.

I think that I'm going to just haunt the old pharmacies and cosmetic stores in the little shopping arcades everywhere and see what I can find. There are some less popular ones like Lordos that I've never tried. I'll see what I can reel in.

I'd also like to see what I can find in the way of vintage aftershaves. I've done a lot of antique store and flea market shopping in Japan and I've never seen anything like that. Maybe I'll get lucky this time. If anybody has any ideas, let me know!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Luc, you really did a nice job with that.

I think that I'm going to just haunt the old pharmacies and cosmetic stores in the little shopping arcades everywhere and see what I can find. There are some less popular ones like Lordos that I've never tried. I'll see what I can reel in.

I'd also like to see what I can find in the way of vintage aftershaves. I've done a lot of antique store and flea market shopping in Japan and I've never seen anything like that. Maybe I'll get lucky this time. If anybody has any ideas, let me know!

I have a bottle of Lordos here...

To be honest with you it smells powdery quite a bit that reminds me of my grand-ma+grand-pa together...

I would focus on Paradigm (I know there's an orange and a blue one). I never had that one and unsure if you can get it.

Vintage is nice (the Vintage AS not a vintage AS).

Gomi. I'm not sure the Japanese are into old stuff.

My pathetically inadequate understanding of Japanese culture agrees with this. Probably borders on stereotyping.

On second thought, respect for ancestors and great tradition may allow for the survival of truly great scents.

Revel in your quest!

I'd reveal one of the great little known Japanese aftershaves....

But you'd have to cut off one of your fingers, and get a tattoo first....:w00t:

I'm going to be in Japan for a couple of months starting in July and I'd like to acquire some of the more obscure aftershaves. I've got Bravas, Auslese, Lucido, Valcan, both Eroicas, Mandom and 4711 Portugal (which I guess isn't technically Japanese). I want to pick up Basala if I can find it--both the AS and cologne. What else should I be looking for?

Any luck on finding a good source of Basala??? :001_smile

Top Bottom