What's new

One night in Osaka (or, Why this site is great...)

What lurketh behind the blue curtain....?

proxy.php

Had a chance to meet up with another fine member (Seraphim) on his last trip over to Osaka and thought I'd just take a minute to outline the evening, partly as a memory for myself, but more so as an example of how real friendships can and do spring from things as silly as a shaving forum (...joking lads, joking...)

Normally, meeting up with strangers you've met online would be a dodgy affair, but hey, this is B&B. I met up with Craig and we hit if off immediately and enjoyed a night of raucous fun, fine drinks, and great conversation. I even brought along my buddy from work (who, not surprisingly, hesitated at first at the thought of coming out with "a dude I met on a shaving website"). But all concerns were assuaged as the beer flowed like wine and our conversation ranged from little-known sports to pico lasers, and again from cultural observations to fine beverages to marriage advice. We did it up right, being to sure to hit all the little local spots and spread our patronage out evenly. Craig took us to a great little bourbon bar where we enjoyed single-malts and Cubans and from there it was off to a little 'tachi-nomi' which literally means 'stand and drink'. A huge night of laughs, new friendships, and almost-missed trains.

I was very happy to see that the kindness and comraderie that exists on this forum actually extends into 'real' life! :biggrin1: Craig knew that I had been interested in trying a straight and, halfway through dinner, pulled a beautiful little Omor Solingen straight out of his bag (freshly-honed of course) and handed it to me. I was really taken aback by his gesture of kindness...too cool. We may have even converted my young workmate as he has been asking several questions pertaining to wetshaving today at work. :biggrin1:

I look forward to Seraphim's next trip to this fair isle and thank B&B for being such a great place to hang out.

Sampling the local water...
proxy.php

Craig enjoying an Old Fashioned and a Cuban...
proxy.php

at the tachi-nomi...
proxy.php

Last edited:
Great story.

I have never been on a forum and had friendships from the forum cross over into real life like I have on B&B.

Outstanding! I'm glad you guys had such a great time.
I've also had the pleasure of meeting several members "in the flesh" and now consider them friends.

This really is a special place! :thumbup:

That first pic reminds me of the Wizard of Oz(aka) "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!":lol:

I'd tried to meet up with Dave a couple times in the past on my business trips over there, but my schedule is often a bit too crazy (work late). Glad we were finally able to get it sorted.

Definitely a good time. Dave speaks fluent Japanese. I don't speak any. Although, by the end of the evening I think I may have been speaking in tongues, as I was pretty much 3 sheets to the wind at that point...

I heartily recommend Japan as a great place for B&B meet-and-greet get togethers!

Thanks Dave!

Looks like fun! If any of you guys are in Okinawa this summer, look me up.

We tried to get into a Okinawa style bar in Osaka, but they wouldn't let three 6+ foot tall gaijin in the door (especially with Dave still puffing on the remains of his Cuban cigar the first time we tried!):w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm getting scared of using that generator now...

Top Bottom