What's new

Identifying Vintage Williams

Another puck of vintage Williams rescued. While this makes five in the stash the quest continues...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As promised, I have taken photos of my collection of Vintage Williams. I will post them from newest to oldest.

First up, is the Combe Williams you are all familiar with. It is tallow second. The most distinguishing feature over all the other boxes of Williams I own, is that the word "mug" is white lettering outlined in black.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

One other point, the Combe formulation is the only one to contain sodium chloride (aka table salt). This is typically added to during manufacture to cause the soap to precipitate allowing the glycerine produced during saponification to be separated out of the mix for independent sales.

Courtesy of user "Gamma" here is a "brick" of Vintage Williams (one dozen pucks packaged together for sale by a retailer). I have never seen Williams packaged this way, this was quite the find for "Gamma":

proxy.php

Here is the internal wrapping for a puck of this vintage, advertising for Aqua Velva (about 1969):

proxy.php

Here is the puck, and corresponding box:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I saw that pic last night and had a dream about finding a warehouse with several packs stuffed in a corner behind some expired snack foods:confused1 I was trying to talk the workers into letting me take the soap, but I woke up before I could close the deal:mad3:

It is not I who am crazy... It is I who am MAD:lol:

One other point, the Combe formulation is the only one to contain sodium chloride (aka table salt). This is typically added to during manufacture to cause the soap to precipitate allowing the glycerine produced during saponification to be separated out of the mix for independent sales.

Adding salt to the wound of a famous classic shaving soap. Now it looks like a big aspirin.

I just scored a Beecham-era (1989-1999) tallow-first puck for $3.55 + $1.05 S&H. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the dating info, Michiganlover.

Finally found one of the Beecham era pucks at a little antique store this evening for $3. The owner said he'd had three others that looked older but someone bought them recently, and left this one. Hmmm...

This puck has absolutely no scent whatsoever. Looking forward to trying it out soon.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Used the Beecham Williams this morning and I have to say, it works every bit as good as the Glastonbury stuff I've been using. I will definitely buy more of this if I run across it.

Finally found one of the Beecham era pucks at a little antique store this evening for $3. The owner said he'd had three others that looked older but someone bought them recently, and left this one. Hmmm...

This puck has absolutely no scent whatsoever.

And that is a good thing, right ? :biggrin1:

-jim

YOU GUYS STOP IT!!!! :w00t:

I was managing my assorted acquisition disorders and for the most part I seemed to be keeping my head above water. Regarding the Williams soap, I hadn't used it for many years, and I when I picked some up to retry a couple of years ago, I found that the overwhelmingly unappetizing citronella scent and intense skin shrinking formula kept me well away from caring.

But.....I....can........no......longer..........resist!!!!!!! :lol:

A New Disorder is Born!!!!!! VIVA LA WAD!!!!

thnx :thumbup1:

Used the Beecham Williams this morning and I have to say, it works every bit as good as the Glastonbury stuff I've been using. I will definitely buy more of this if I run across it.

Good to hear that it treated you very well!!

I like the scent of modern Williams, and the other vintage Williams I have has what michiganlover believes is a scent from the tallow...

I assume it to be the scent of tallow, as just about all vintage soaps I have tried so far have the same smell (although some of them also have a slight musky note to them; likely due to age/storage).

I assume it to be the scent of tallow, as just about all vintage soaps I have tried so far have the same smell (although some of them also have a slight musky note to them; likely due to age/storage).

Yeah, I've noted the same scent with the vintage Surrey and Barbershop soaps I have, but not with the Beecham. Maybe it's something that gets more pronounced with age and since the Beecham isn't really that old it hasn't bloomed yet. I also wonder how different sodium tallowate is from the plain old tallow that is listed on the ingredients list of the older versions.

YOU GUYS STOP IT!!!! :w00t:

I was managing my assorted acquisition disorders and for the most part I seemed to be keeping my head above water. Regarding the Williams soap, I hadn't used it for many years, and I when I picked some up to retry a couple of years ago, I found that the overwhelmingly unappetizing citronella scent and intense skin shrinking formula kept me well away from caring.

But.....I....can........no......longer..........resist!!!!!!! :lol:

A New Disorder is Born!!!!!! VIVA LA WAD!!!!

thnx :thumbup1:

RocketDood you would really enjoy the vintage Williams stuff, if you ever find any.

Top Bottom