What's new

~Reference list for straight razor shopping~

I’ve encountered a new dilemma. I’ve always been and will continue to be an antique store browser. With that being said becoming a recent straight shaving enthusiast has put me in a bit of a bind. I now specifically look for what I’ve never paid attention to before. Those items being straight razors, original straight boxes (that may contain a straight razor) or any straights that have great scales. I find myself constantly having store employees unlocking the glass display cases so I can inspect the straights and see who they’re made by. My problem is I could be looking at a extremely rare straight that’s bargain priced and I’d never know it.

My general thought here is to create some sort of reference thread that we could all use in our shopping when coming across straights so that we know what we’re looking at. A list that we could print out and reference when browsing. I imagine this would be useful to newcomers and even someone with a vast knowledge.

I think the best way this would work is to keep it simple and list/describe the following:

1.) Name the straight razor maker. (That in your opinion is known for being a quality or rare straight)

2.) List / describe any markings a buyer should look for in relation to that maker. ( a tree, a duck...whatever)

3.) Your opinion on what price would be a good buy. For example if it sells for $120 in the shaving community then say so and its now the buyers discretion on what price under $120 is a good deal.

Of course it would be the buyers own judgement that the straight razor is in good condition and “shavable” if that is the intention.

What does everyone think? Good idea? Please offer your opinions.

It's a nice idea but trouble is this might end up taking away the bargains, im sure quite a few of us have a nose through the ebay trough and got some real gems and silly prices because we did our homework and kept an eye out.

So in hindsight im not so sure, nice idea though if you see a razor you like it's quite simple just use google, usually srp is the first place that makes a showing and you can get a good idea from there on, it's how i've learned to sort the wheat from the chaff and tbh the bad razors usually stick out like a sore thumb anyway.

Plus posting up what is a good price has the potential to push prices up even further if you see what im getting at.

Last edited:
It's a nice idea but trouble is this might end up taking away the bargains, im sure quite a few of us have a nose through the ebay trough and got some real gems and silly prices because we did our homework and kept an eye out.

So in hindsight im not so sure, nice idea though if you see a razor you like it's quite simple just use google, usually srp is the first place that makes a showing and you can get a good idea from there on, it's how i've learned to sort the wheat from the chaff and tbh the bad razors usually stick out like a sore thumb anyway.

Plus posting up what is a good price has the potential to push prices up even further if you see what im getting at.

Agreed. There are certainly lists of brands that are likely to be good razors, but as far as judging condition, pricing, models, etc....I really think that's just something you have to learn on your own. It's part of the fun of the process, if you ask me.:thumbup1:

Exactly i like sniffing around and finding the good deals it's part of what makes it fun, sure it'll make things easier but ultimately you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot for it.

Srp don't do it and i hope b&b don't either, if you're really unsure about a razor just post up an enquiry on here or ask a vendor im sure they'd help out.

Two months ago it was all very daunting and i didn't have a clue where to begin, now im brushed up on 99% of the straights out there just some very obscure ones left that i probably wouldn't risk bidding on anyway.

As for price just add them to your watch list and see what they go for you'll soon get the hang of it.

I don't see how a general list to be used by world wide B & B members would take away the bargains. For that to happen you'd have to believe every antique dealer from my little CT town to antique dealers across the globe is a B & B member and reading this thread. I think that's a little far fetched. I've been doing my homework but with most collectibles I was just suggesting some sort of reference list or buying guide. As far as pushing the prices up I suppose it could happen, but only online. That being because people who sell these items online usually know what they have and what they'll sell it for. I think its a rare thing to find deals on the internet because most people do the research, but there are deals to be found walking through your local antique store or flea market.

Agreed. There are certainly lists of brands that are likely to be good razors, but as far as judging condition, pricing, models, etc....I really think that's just something you have to learn on your own. It's part of the fun of the process, if you ask me.:thumbup1:

Well I know certain straight razor values fluctuate but to be advised by your fellow piers that say a Dubl Duck is worth approximately $80 and you find one for $15 there’s really no mistakes to be made. As I said judging the condition of the straight razor is the purchasers responsibility.

Two months ago it was all very daunting and i didn't have a clue where to begin, now im brushed up on 99% of the straights out there just some very obscure ones left that i probably wouldn't risk bidding on anyway.

I think you misunderstood my post, I'm not talking about getting into bidding wars on Ebay or risking bidding on obscure straight razors. I'm talking about browsing antique stores, flea markets and tag sales. There's a big difference there for deals and finds to be made.

Maybe I was wrong to suggest open communication on values and what’s a good buy in regards to straight razors. I know with a lot of things people can be very guarded because they’d rather find the deal then suggest to someone else how they could come across it. Myself being a collector of several things all other communities I converse with talk openly about values and the rarity of the collectable. What to buy, what not to buy, what to look for and so on and so forth. That’s all I was suggesting here.

Last edited:
I know your intentions are good im not questioning your ethics it's well how shall i put this.

Have a look on ebay and have a look for filarmonica barba duras

Those razors are nothing special yet command extreme prices all because a few on forums mentioned how good they are and yes they are good razors but soon as a brand gets recognition that's what all the nubs to straight shaving jump on, same with dubl duck, dorko, le croix and so on.

The fun is in the hunting, the investigating on what is or isn't a good razor..

You mention a wordwide list won't be a problem, trouble is that is the problem many folk aren't registered on b&b which is a shame in itself but you also get collectors etc soon as they see a price list or a list of what is/isn't good then the good razors that are currently available to less well off folk are pretty much gone.

I can afford such razors i am willing to spend extreme amounts on that must have razor but many others cant't they depend on these bargains.

And though i applaud your intentions i just don't feel it's for the best, if someone is willing to put in the effort and learn what is or isn't good then they deserve that bargain they're looking for.

If you want to know how good a razor is there are plenty of online reviews to help you pick and choose, b&b also has it's review section, granted it's small-ish but i intend on adding more as i go along.

Like pokemon - you gotta catch em all. :tongue_sm

I kind of agree with the responses. A lot of us buy online only, and I don't know about everyone else, but I've seen the Fili's skyrocket in price overnight, along with the Ducks, and the Pumas, etc. due to a few that went for more than they were worth because people were talking about them a lot on big forums. Plus, I don't think a comprehensive list could be made in the first place. There are far too many variables for what a razor is worth in the first place. You have to take into consideration pitting, staining, chips, regrinds, loose scales, rescaled, etching, gold wash, rust, pins, honewear, etc. I feel it's something you more just plain get a hang of after doing a lot of research.

I appreciate all the responses and opinions. In my opinion online conversation of values won't affect the selling price at your local mom and pop antique store and that's all I'm talking about. In my original post I never mentioned anything in regards to shopping online. When you shop online or even at some flea markets you’re hard pressed to find good deals. The problem is everyone thinks they’ve got gold even if its truly crap. The deals are there to be found browsing the shops, not sitting at your computer. (most of the time)

Where you live perhaps, for the rest of the world not so, antique shops are no more, de shaving is or at least was dying and straights are a long forgotten past.

For a lot of us online is the only way to go.

There are also books on collecting straight razors with fairly comprehensive lists of what's what if you're really interested in that sort of thing.

Antique store shopping guidelines:

-No significant rust?

-No big chips in cutting edge

-No wierd distortion to edge caused by years of improper honing

-Made in Soligen/Sheffield/Eskiltuina/France/USA (pretty much anywhere except Pakistan...)

-Less than $25

-You like the looks of it

If the answer to all, or most of the above is "yes", then buy the razor and enjoy.

Plenty of lesser known name razors that were made in Solingen/Sheffield/elsewhere are every bit as good a shaver as any of the more well known brands. Don't worry so much about the brand name, as much as where it was made.

One of my favorite razors is a Sum-Extre. Ever hear of that brand?

Me neither.....but it is an excellent razor.

The reason that this sort of thing won't work well, IMHO, is because it's difficult to find razors worth buying at antique stores anyway. If you do find one, it's rare (in fact, I've never seen one) to find one priced to high for what I would pay for it (I've seen over priced razors in antique stores but not the type of razor I'm talking about).

What would happen here, if implemented is a huge debate over the values :lol:

Where you live perhaps, for the rest of the world not so, antique shops are no more, de shaving is or at least was dying and straights are a long forgotten past.

For a lot of us online is the only way to go.

I didn't know this, I suppose living in New England antique stores are a common thing. In the UK is this not the case?

There are also books on collecting straight razors with fairly comprehensive lists of what's what if you're really interested in that sort of thing.

Any you'd recommend?

-No significant rust?

-Made in Soligen/Sheffield/Eskiltuina/France/USA (pretty much anywhere except Pakistan...)

-Less than $25

If the answer to all, or most of the above is "yes", then buy the razor and enjoy.

Plenty of lesser known name razors that were made in Solingen/Sheffield/elsewhere are every bit as good a shaver as any of the more well known brands. Don't worry so much about the brand name, as much as where it was made.

Not to nitpick, but you left out "Excessive Honewear" :biggrin1:

All the razors I've found in B&M antique stores have either had massive chips, LOTS of razor wear, or are priced as if they were mint, and are clearly not so.

To throw my opinion in the ring, I fear that the OP's proposed project will be a massive undertaking, not just because of the sheer number of razor manufacturers out there, but the fact that just to maintain the pricing catalogue would be insane, what a price is one week, will most likely be different next week (see Filis as a good example)

Not to nitpick, but you left out "Excessive Honewear" :biggrin1:

All the razors I've found in B&M antique stores have either had massive chips, LOTS of razor wear, or are priced as if they were mint, and are clearly not so.

To throw my opinion in the ring, I fear that the OP's proposed project will be a massive undertaking, not just because of the sheer number of razor manufacturers out there, but the fact that just to maintain the pricing catalogue would be insane, what a price is one week, will most likely be different next week (see Filis as a good example)

I had intended that to be covered under bullet point #3, but you're right as that is it's own subset of edge wierdness to be evaluated....

I didn't know this, I suppose living in New England antique stores are a common thing. In the UK is this not the case?

Fraid so, i know of only one such shop and id hardly call it antique more hand me downs than anything else, there does seem to be a resurgence of stalls inside indoor markets but they don't dabble in razors, i know of one that does but he's apparently hit and miss, he only gets razors once in a blue moon as they're not asked for.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

-No significant rust?

-Less than $25

+2

Ebay, online shop or Antique store, that's what I'm looking for.

SRP has a list in their wiki of the good and bad brands. I think if you print out those list, you should have a very good idea on what to leave there and what you should buy

Fraid so, i know of only one such shop and id hardly call it antique more hand me downs than anything else, there does seem to be a resurgence of stalls inside indoor markets but they don't dabble in razors, i know of one that does but he's apparently hit and miss, he only gets razors once in a blue moon as they're not asked for.

That stinks, I had no idea. I would think places like the UK would have lots of antique stores since there's more history over a greater amount of time compared to the states.

+2

Ebay, online shop or Antique store, that's what I'm looking for.

SRP has a list in their wiki of the good and bad brands. I think if you print out those list, you should have a very good idea on what to leave there and what you should buy

I'll take a look, thanks for letting me know!:001_smile

Top Bottom