What's new

How do you keep track of blade usage?

If the razor is empty when I select it from the rotation, I put in a fresh one. If there is already a blade in the razor when I pick it up to shave, I know to toss it when I'm done.

+1 to this. I, too, use them only twice (in general) and do exactly as you describe. If I am using an expensive blade, I will generally reach for a third shave, but to identify what will be the third trip, I loosen the head or put the razor on the rack with the doors open, to remind me that the blade should depart the razor when I'm done.
-- Chet

Totally agree.
Really is no point is using more than twice.
Third use I tend to start to cut myself anyway.

I use each blade just twice. I've tried corking, both on fresh blades and new ones, but it seems to be more trouble than its worth.

If the razor is empty when I select it from the rotation, I put in a fresh one. If there is already a blade in the razor when I pick it up to shave, I know to toss it when I'm done.

Among the different ideas presented here, I like the 6-sided dice best.

But, I've never understood all the fuss about stretching blade life:

• Blades are cheap.
  • Blades are readily available.
  • Blades are designed to be DISPOSABLE.

Very true, blades are cheap. Once I narrow it down to one kind of blade I will probably only use them 2-3 times each. On Amazon I can get 100 Astra SP (so far my favorite) blades for 14.99 with free shipping which means each blade is only 15 cents.

I started keeping a shave log in a small notebook. It helps with multiple razors and multiple blades.

I've been thinking of setting up a speadsheet on the "cloud," so I can also log shaves when I'm not at home.

K.T.

My routine is this:

I shave six days a week, monday thru saturday.

I've decided that even though I could probably get more uses out of a blade than I do, they are relatively cheap so I'm not going to push it. I'm okay with using two Feather blades a week. (monetarily speaking)

I put a new blade in on monday and one on thursday, so I get three shaves from each blade. I will also know how many shaves are on it from what day of the week it is. E.g., if it's tuesday or friday I know this is shave number two, etc..

I use each blade just twice. I've tried corking, both on fresh blades and new ones, but it seems to be more trouble than its worth.

Among the different ideas presented here, I like the 6-sided dice best.

But, I've never understood all the fuss about stretching blade life:

• Blades are cheap.
  • Blades are readily available.
  • Blades are designed to be DISPOSABLE.

What he said. More often used once, depending. I read a deal of philosophical thought expended on the sharpness (or smoothness) of brand A, B, or C, and the resulting horrendous shaves from the off-brand of the day, so I guess I would ask, is a used Feather sharper (or smoother - considering all the little nicks caused by hairs) than a new Astra? And perhaps it is - early to tell in my DE journey, but I would speculate likely not by any technical measures. And does a sharper/smoother blade provide a better shave? And if sharper/smoother is better, is my face worth two or three nickels a day for a new blade? All interesting musings.

Last edited:
I do exactly the same but mark my Sharpie dots under the cap to force myself to inspect the rig after every shave.

Usually don't count, but when I'm shaving everyday I'll normally change the blade out every Monday. Fresh week, fresh blade.
Oh and I don't normally rotate blades like it seems you do. It's an interesting concept that I might adopt to help me pick and choose my favorite blade through the sampler I got a while back!
Good luck and be safe!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I put a NEW blade in, I shave, I take the blade out and put it in the slot in the back of my med-cabinet for OLD blades, I repeat each day.

Top Bottom