What's new

Do you wear shorts in the summer?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I used to never wear shorts. Not even sure why. I was always in jeans.

Now I wear shorts all the time but only during the summer. Cargo shorts and boat shoes, with a polo or simple t-shirt is my summer attire.

I wear pants to work. No exceptions.

I wear shorts when appropriate (yard work, walk in the park on a hot day, golf, etc.,)

Why wouldn't I wear shorts? If they are knee cut and presentable, they are appropriate attire for hot weather.

Last edited:
Never wore shorts as a teen and through college as I was self conscious about my weight. I started wearing them about 10 years ago and there's no going back as they are so much cooler in the summer.

Started off with cargo shorts in a few colors and recently moved away from those in favor of flat cotton shorts with a slimmer (not tight) fit that end at the knee instead of below. Makes me look like a grown up and not a kid.

Despite the combination of high temperatures and high humidity, I do not wear shorts. The reasons:
1. Briars.
2. Thorny vines.
3. Insects.
4. Critters.

Too hot here in the summer not too wear shorts.

Absolutely

This is the most cordial I've seen a Bama fan and an Auburn fan being...like ever.

Of course not to work, as there is a dress code policy. Obviously no if I'm dining out somewhere nice, attending Sunday mass, etc.

I wear knee length cargo shorts all all time unless the weather requires otherwise. Of course this is Central Texas where the temperatures favor more casual dress. In Austin, you don't really look out of place as people here tend to dress down around here.

+1 Same here in South Louisiana. I wear shorts all year round as weather permits.

I say, no one over thirteen should wear shorts what!!

Actually, you should wear what you are comfortable wearing; having said that I remember "graduating" out of shorts and into long trousers as a young schoolboy, with the above being the de facto rule of thumb. I now generally don't wear short, unless at the gym or on holiday in a very hot climate - and then only during the day. Not to mention that I have quite skinny legs from which children and small animals should be protected!

No reason why an adult can't wear shorts in a casual setting. If I'm going to a summer BBQ, an all-day outdoor concert, or wandering around our state fair on a hot August day, I'm going to be dying. Something like this would still make me look like an adult, just well-dressed and ready for the weather:

proxy.php

Maybe it's an age thing? I'm 31.

Heck - I am 53 yrs old and break out the shorts as soon as the weather permits ; shorts & OCBDs, shorts & polos, shorts & tees and my personal favorite "sweatshirt and shorts".

Of course, there are rules.........

I wear real shorts; they are made like regular trousers, just with a finished hem and are tailored to be an inch or two above my knee. I dont wear "cargo" anything and shorts that go beyond your knee arent shorts - they are capris. The gym shorts are fine for playing sports or lounging about the house, but that is all.

(There is a whole other thread on footwear, so I wont preach on that subject here.)

Other than that - have at it.

I have khaki, madras, seersucker and linen shorts. I have them embroidered with fly fishing lures, sailfish and lobsters. I have my Nantucket Reds and my go-to-hell plaids.

And I love them all

I wear cargo shorts when the temperature is closer to 80 degrees, or in the 70's with high humidity. Otherwise, I tend to favor chinos for comfort, or a pair of cargo pants (cargo pants and shorts come in handy since I'm about to be a new dad this coming Wednesday :thumbup:) for other times. I actually find myself wearing jeans less and less, even though they are incredibly comfortable. I just seem to like my Old Navy Broken-In slim khaki more, or my Nautica Beacon Pant chinos.

Some things can't be unseen, Doc...

I live in Florida, so between April and November if I'm not at work I'm in shorts. Usually golf-style shorts. I like the C9 by Champion brand from Target. There are exceptions, of course - high end restaurant, symphony, etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Some things can't be unseen, Doc...

Didn't you author the "Keep it in the clowhouse" post? Gahhh! My eyes......

Sorry, guys!

:001_rolle

I guess we need a bit of a visual aid to remind us that, while "wear what you like, whatever is comfortable" is fine within reason ... it can be taken too far (like anything else.)

Now ... to restore the balance of the universe ...

proxy.php

I just seem to like my Old Navy Broken-In slim khaki more

I've got a number of Old Navy khakis. I like the fit of the slims more than the straight legs because the straights are pretty baggy and the slims just have a very subtle taper to them. The quality isn't great on these pants, but if you get them on sale for less than $20 a pop, not bad.

Recently picked up a pair of the slim-fit flat front twill shorts from Old Navy. These things are PERFECT. They end just above the knee, very comfortable, not baggy, and doesn't sag like cargo shorts. Again, I'm a bigger guy at 5'7 200 pounds and wear 38" shorts, so these keep from getting too baggy in the legs without being too short.

Everyday I can including Fridays at work, in spite of the dress code. It gets way too hot and humid here in the summer to not wear shorts.

Top Bottom