What's new

Brut vs. Brut vs. BRUT

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
What we currently have here is a Mexican standoff...

There are 3 different bottles of Brut that I know of and I decided to try them!

Contender #1 - American Brut (Manifactured in Mexico)
Ingredients: Alcohol Denat., Water, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Menthol, BHT, Yellow 5

Contender #2 - Euro Brut (France probably by Parfums Prestige)
Ingredients: Alcohol Denat. Aqua, Glycerine, PEG-40 Hydrogenated, Castor oil, Parfum, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, BHT, Propylene Glycole, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, Evernia Furfuracea, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, Sodium Sulfate, CI 15985, CI 42090, CI 47005

Contender #3 - Australian Brut
Ingredients: Alcohol and t-Butyl, Alcohol, Water, Glycerine, PPG-20Methyl Glucose Ether, Fragrance.
Perfurmery Product no. 1266

What's the difference other than they look like pretty bottles? I can't get much of a difference out of them scent-wise or performance-wise.

They all smell very similar but I wouldn't say that the 3 of them are the exact same. The Euro version scent is a bit more concentrated.

I will try them one by one and go with the impressions. One thing that I'm aware already is the Australian version comes in two different format over here. The lotion and the Splash on. The lotion is more expensive and more concentrated.

Attachments

• $SANY3285.jpg
    $SANY3285.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,543
Sounds like a fun experiment - even more fun if you do it while drinking Guinness. I was just sniffing the American Brut a/s at the grocery store last night. I used to think it smelled nasty, but I have to admit, I halfway liked it last night. Man, my age is starting to catch up with me.

I currently use the middle one.
I find it agreeable enough but there seems to be a train of thought here in the UK that Brut is old fashioned and tacky.

For the £2.99 that it's available for it's a decent enough splash.

To make things more confusing, the US formulation comes in After Shave (splash), Cologne and Body Splash. To my snout, they're all just about the same.

I haven't worn it since high school, but I bought some the other day. Really pretty nice--a kind of cousin to Clubman. I'm using it today. There's just enough menthol for it to feel good and my wife complimented me on it when she came down this morning!

I'd really like to get one of those European bottles--looks very cool. And then, of course, there are the out of production glass US bottles too...

In the picture, the "euro brut" in the middle looks like the bottle for the original (I think it was called Brut 33). I think it's supposed to be stronger and most like, if not actually, the first Brut.

Luc

Staff member
Post-Shave #1 - American Brut.

AS works well. The only one with Menthol. It's a small difference but there isn't enough Menthol IMO...

Good product, manly. Scent are soap and a bit lemony.

Euro Brut tomorrow!

Sounds like a fun experiment - even more fun if you do it while drinking Guinness. I was just sniffing the American Brut a/s at the grocery store last night. I used to think it smelled nasty, but I have to admit, I halfway liked it last night. Man, my age is starting to catch up with me.

I've been holding off on Brut, for similar reasons. However, every time I pass it on the supermarket shelf I can feel it's pull :scared:
As Mick (Trawlerman) says, it's cheap enough...so I might have to succumb :lol:

P.S. I'll hide the bottle until I've had an honest verdict from SWMBO :wink2:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great post Luc!
Among the three bottles listed above, I can only talk about the European version, since it's the sole I've ever used.
And I want to say that the European Brut splash is a fantastic aftershave treatment.
Truly.
Years ago, here in Rome, it was easily available in several shops.
Now, unfortunately, it is somehow hard to find.
But, again, Brut is a great, great, great product.:thumbup1:

To make things more confusing, the US formulation comes in After Shave (splash), Cologne and Body Splash. To my snout, they're all just about the same.

I haven't worn it since high school, but I bought some the other day. Really pretty nice--a kind of cousin to Clubman. I'm using it today. There's just enough menthol for it to feel good and my wife complimented me on it when she came down this morning!

I'd really like to get one of those European bottles--looks very cool. And then, of course, there are the out of production glass US bottles too...

I'd be happy to send you one, just PM me if you still want it :wink2:

On Friday I used a small splash of vintage Faberge Brut aftershave - that was at 6 AM and I was getting blasts of it throughout the day until I got home 11 hours later and changed out of my work clothes. It didn't end there however, as the scent was still lingering when I showered the following morning.

Even the Parfums Prestige Brut EDT isn't that persistent, or as strongly scented. I won't say I disliked it - Brut's a classic - but I'll have to use some discretion when applying it or face being presented with a medallion by colleagues, an afro wig and my shirt buttons torn open to the navel. :biggrin1:

Luc

Staff member
The pouring of this one is a bit difficult as there isn't any stopper to pour. The bottle is free to empty itself if turned upside down.

Very dark green liquid compared to the others. Strong soapy scent only!

Post-Shave #1 - American Brut.

AS works well. The only one with Menthol. It's a small difference but there isn't enough Menthol IMO...

Good product, manly. Scent are soap and a bit lemony.

Euro Brut tomorrow!

I don't feel any menthol at all when I use this. Really disappointing cause I do like the smell.

Top Bottom