What's new

Brut vs. Brut vs. BRUT

My dad wore it when I was a kid, an I always thought it smelled bad, but now I like the smell. My wife doesn't like it all that much so I've held off on buying it, but I do like the smell.

The only one they carry at the store here is the "splash on, original fregrance" stuff. This is still a post shave? The bottle looks a little different from those in the pictures. It doesn't even say after shave.

EDIT: Found the answer. It's almost identical to #1, except menthol has been removed.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The only one they carry at the store here is the "splash on, original fregrance" stuff. This is still a post shave? The bottle looks a little different from those in the pictures. It doesn't even say after shave.

EDIT: Found the answer. It's almost identical to #1, except menthol has been removed.

The one that you got is probably the one made in Mexico. The splash on that I had was made in Australia. I prefer the splash on (as aftershave) than the 100ml original aftershave.

The best of all, IMO, is still the Euro version.

I used to use Old Spice AS but ran out and went to buy another bottle. There, I noticed that they are now selling them in plastic, ugly looking things now. SWMBO told me the old spice smelled like her dad. So, ready for a change,I picked up the Brut AS because, well, that's what my dad smelled like back in the day.

She commented on how much she loved the scent, and it paired nicely with the Lacoste Essential cologne she likes too. I wouldn't wear them together, but any lingering scent from the morning shave didn't clash with the evening cologne. The only downside was a newly developed redness for a good half day that I never got before with the spice. I noticed that Brut AS contains menthol, which I don't remember the other having.

I feel I've buried the lead. I went today to the store and they had Splash On and AS (both original fragrance). The ingredients...

AS: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Menthol, BHT, Yellow5
Splash: Alcohol, Water, Fragrance, BHT, Propylene Glycol, Yellow5

The AS is about a dollar more expensive for 60 less mL but has a slightly more complex, warmer scent. The Splash definitely has a stronger alcohol note, but I expect this will dissipate quickly once it dries. Also, the fragrance smells a bit less concentrated.

I'm planning on trying the Splash for the first time tonight, and we'll see if the redness accompanies. If it does, I'm thinking of trying adding some balm with aloe to one of the Bruts to make my own mixture because I haven't run into Brut's balm anywhere here in KY yet. Well, I'm sure this is way more than anyone wanted to know about Brut, but I think my dad was right in his AS scent...maybe I need to get some aramis next.
:cool:

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Splash On gave me much less irritation/redness than the AS. I think menthol or the amount of menthol in the AS was the culprit after all. On the face, the scents are so similar that I can't tell the difference. You're reading one happy guy to have found such a nicely scented and inexpensive post-shave.

Also, the Brut scent pairs nicely with a lavender cream IMHO.

Cheers

In my opinion, yes it does, it just doesn't last as long as Clubman, but the scent is very very similar to me.

Clubman, Brut, Canoe, and Avon's Wild Country are all very similiar, however, Brut smells significantly different than the other three. So while it is similiar (sharing many of the same notes), it's not quite as identical as Clumban, Wild Country, and Canoe are.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, Brut is much closer to Clubman than Wild Country is. Not a bad thing in either case, it's just the individual nose picking up what it likes.
Maybe we should have a gas chromatography done on these! :lol:

There is something in BRUT that turns my nose bad, which is NOT in Clubman.

I think the ingredient is bergamot, but I might be wrong. I know soaps that have been identified with bergamot in them bring the same unpleasantness and smell to my snoot. I don't even need to be wearing it to have it bother me, which bugs me a little because it is my Dad's only and Mom's favorite.

Phil

Top Bottom