What's new

Cleaning razors

Looking at the wiki http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Razor_cleaning_and_restoration
I read that "Some guys boil their razors but I have never done this and I never will. Boiling can irreparably damage your razor." Why not boil, and what damage could it do?

I also read "One recommendation, even if you can do it, NEVER take your razor apart to clean it." If it is sent to be replated, it would be taken apart, why not take it apart?

I received a couple of used Gillette Super Speeds and it looks like there is some 'gunk' built up in the handle tube between the razor head and the TTO knob.

If one wants to ensure the 'gunk' is removed, and not taking apart or boiling is an option how else could you get that deep into the mechanisms of the razor?

If one wants to ensure the 'gunk' is removed, and not taking apart or boiling is an option how else could you get that deep into the mechanisms of the razor?

A couple of the razors I've cleaned have been pretty "gunky". I soak them in hot water with some anti-bacterial dish soap in a tupperware dish (with a lid).
Give the whole lot a gentle shake (I only clean one at a time so there's no risk of them banging together), change the water and let the razor soak again. Repeat if required. Seems to get pretty much all of the gunk out of the nooks and crannies! :001_smile
The rest of the cleaning is toothbrush, toothpaste and bit of elbow grease.

+1 on the soaking in hot water and dish soap. It might take 3 or 4 times and I work the mechanisms between each soak. It works great.

And generally TTO razors are plated without taking them apart. That's the way Gillette did it.

Len

There's probably more misinformation on cleaning razors then any other topic.
My take is it's just a razor clean it any way you wish, if you screw it up at least you know what not to do next time.
I just soak mine in hot soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush.
If you want to take your razor apart go ahead, but just remember Gillette didn't design their TTO razors to be taken apart so what came apart easily might not go back together.

+1 on a soft toothbrush and toothpaste. I've also found that if you have a lot of rust, like on the inside of the silo doors, a toothpick can be your best friend. I just rub a dry toothpick across the rust. It takes a little time, but eventually it rubs it right off, no damage to the finish or anything. SWEEEEET!:w00t:

the only reason not to boil a DE razor is if it had some plastic bits, like dial pointers or o-rings, or end-knobs. An all metal razor? Have at 'er!

The straight razor of course has scales of various natural products to worry about. I wouldn't boil one of these.

Top Bottom