What's new

Feather DX Japanese style arrived today...

Tomorrow will be the first time I shave with anything resembling a straight razor.
I've read all posts regarding this instrument: Keep spine close to face+No pressure.

Any additional insight regarding this very scary looking puppy will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be the first time I shave with anything resembling a straight razor.
I've read all posts regarding this instrument: Keep spine close to face+No pressure.

Any additional insight regarding this very scary looking puppy will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Don't put too much of an angle on that AC. Really, just lay it flat on your face and lift it until you can barely feel the blade. That will give you a shave, maybe good, maybe not so good, but at least until you develop your technique with the AC, it won't give you razor burn. Don't have the blade edge on your face unless its moving, and just take short strokes. Start with the easy parts of your face, sideburn area, then cheeks. Go slow and get the feel of the razor. The AC is all I use for a straight, but it takes some time to get used to it. Don't be afraid to put it down for awhile and go back to your DE. Start slow and don't move to harder areas of your face until you're confident you can do it. If you have the slightest doubt, stop there. The rest will come in time. Good luck.

Yes have fun with it. I have the same razor and its a bit easier to manuver that a folding straight although I use both types of feathers and all the blade types sans the Pro-guard. Um lets see strech the skin get as flat a surface a possible because this blade system will bite into you. Don't rest the razor on your face it will paper cut you and it hurts. Your right the keep the spine close - because ~32 deg is built into the wedge for all the DX's and no pressure. Prep and take confident not quick strokes. To quick and you'll tugg the hair, not confident and you will cut yourself. The feather likes a good lather, if you can rinse it off your blade with a good stream of water its right. If it sticks, its to dry, wet the brush a bit and freshen up your entire face. Its not to scary really. The blade gets better as it ages. Oh yeah DO NOT wipe the blade rinse it off only and use alcohol to help get the water off it at the end of the shave. I got that from the Feather Corporation and will have to upload all the instruction I got from them regarding there blades. The really don't say much other than DO NOT wipe the blade because of the platinum alloy and resin coating. Hope that helps, I'm shaving with mine tonight with a 4x used light blade which is the new one.

Do a few 'dry runs' without a blade - you can plan your 'attack' on your beard that way. You will be more confident and have more control when you do put the blade in.

When you do put a blade in, keep the strokes short, stretch the skin and use your most protective soap. Cella, MWF and TGQ soaps all worked well for me with the AC, but YMMV and all that. Get some Alum if you don't have any and a nice, soothing AS or ASB.

Congrats on picking up a piece of top-notch shaving gear. The Feather AC shaves as close as anything out there, old or new.

EDIT:
B&Ber Monkeyboy posted these links awhile ago - vids of the Feather AC and AC non-folding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBOShx4OT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rh9hTuDBKU

Last edited:
I just did that. Lathered up, and did a WTG and XTG sans blade.

How did you guess about the Cella?:001_smile I'm planning on Cella/Proraso superlather for this:scared::scared::scared:.

Do a few 'dry runs' without a blade - you can plan your 'attack' on your beard that way. You will be more confident and have more control when you do put the blade in.

When you do put a blade in, keep the strokes short, stretch the skin and use your most protective soap. Cella, MWF and TGQ soaps all worked well for me with the AC, but YMMV and all that. Get some Alum if you don't have any and a nice, soothing AS or ASB.

Congrats on picking up a piece of top-notch shaving gear. The Feather AC shaves as close as anything out there, old or new.

EDIT:
B&Ber Monkeyboy posted these links awhile ago - vids of the Feather AC and AC non-folding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBBOShx4OT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rh9hTuDBKU

Which part do you want to hear first? The part about the blood, or the part about the burn?
:18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18:
:18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18::18:
:18::18::18::18:

Jorge:

Don't give up, the first one is usually a tad on the rough side. The most important thing with this razor is the angle. Look at the above posts on that. Just lay the blade flat under your sideburn and lift it up until it barely cuts the whisker. Do this until you're comfortable enough to shave on a different part of your face, like the cheeks. Just take it slow. I had the same problem, I'm still learning but things are getting better. I can now do the entire shave with the AC. Which blades are you using?

Looking back, it was actually better than my first DE shave.
I did two passes: WTG+XTG. I gave myself two nice little cuts, one of which bled for quite a while, and a little weeper.

Had some burn, but nothing like my first week of DE shaving. It went away in half an hour.

I'm just insecure with this new tool: I didn't know how to hold it for some parts of my face. I had trouble pulling the skin in certain instances. Normal newbie problems.
I did a 3rd pas WTG with my 39c with great confidence, in contrast with the DX. It will just take some time and practice to get accustomed to.

My face came out pretty smooth in the end: DFS.
:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Might help if you use a washcloth (wet or dry) to help stretch the skin - really makes a lot of difference.

2nd shave today, much better.
No burn, better handling of razor, better skin pulling. Just two small cuts on the neck, no biggie.

My ex-wife commented today that I didn't looked shaved, but barbered.

Well, I just joined the Feather AC club too. :001_tt1: Received my RG razor yesterday and after admiring it and being scared of it at the same time; I gave it a shot today... started off pretty good... then gave myself a nice cut... then another one... so I decided that it is enough for the first time and finished it off with my trusty DE. Boy does DE feel really good after trying awkwardly holding a straight for the first time. No wonder they call them "safety" razors :001_smile

Anyways, I am not giving up yet but this little puppy will definitely take some getting used to. I may leave it for my weekend shaves for now until I learn to allow some time to heal. Otherwise I will be showing up to work with blood on my face :18:

Last edited:
Well, I just joined the Feather AC club too. :001_tt1: Received my RG razor yesterday and after admiring it and being scared of it at the same time; I gave it a shot today... started off pretty good... then gave myself a nice cut... then another one... so I decided that it is enough for the first time and finished it off with my trusty DE. Boy does DE feel really good after trying awkwardly holding a straight for the first time. No wonder they call them "safety" razors :001_smile

Anyways, I am not giving up yet but this little puppy will definitely take some getting used to. I may leave it for my weekend shaves for now until I learn to allow some time to heal. Otherwise I will be showing up to work with blood on my face :18:

It's quite something, isn't it? It reminds me of my first week of DE shaving. Today I had my third shave with it, and I'm glad it was better than the previous two, though I'm far from being there yet. I did a third pass for the first time. Still no confidence, a little awkwardness, and some confusion on how to attack certain angles. A couple of weepers, and a little irritation which is better than the bleeders from yesterday and the day before.
I give myself an extra pass with the 39c slant after the DX to even things out. The funny thing is that (as I mentioned in General Shaving Forum) the slant ("the sledgehammer"..."Satan's razor") feels like a fluffy kitten on my face after the DX.

Like the DE, it's just a question of not being afraid of losing a little blood once in a while during the learning process.:wink2: A small price to pay for all that manliness.:001_tongu

It's quite something, isn't it? It reminds me of my first week of DE shaving. Today I had my third shave with it, and I'm glad it was better than the previous two, though I'm far from being there yet. I did a third pass for the first time. Still no confidence, a little awkwardness, and some confusion on how to attack certain angles. A couple of weepers, and a little irritation which is better than the bleeders from yesterday and the day before.
I give myself an extra pass with the 39c slant after the DX to even things out. The funny thing is that (as I mentioned in General Shaving Forum) the slant ("the sledgehammer"..."Satan's razor") feels like a fluffy kitten on my face after the DX.

Like the DE, it's just a question of not being afraid of losing a little blood once in a while during the learning process.:wink2: A small price to pay for all that manliness.:001_tongu
Sounds like you are making a good progress. I am not sure I will attempt to do three passes on my third shave. At this point I just want to do one full pass without bleeding to death :w00t:

It does remind me about the first couple of shaves with DE but if I remember correctly I was a little less intimidated by DE. All good though, I know I'll have it down in no time... just takes persistence and practice. Looking forward to it.

Sounds like you are making a good progress. I am not sure I will attempt to do three passes on my third shave. At this point I just want to do one full pass without bleeding to death :w00t:

It does remind me about the first couple of shaves with DE but if I remember correctly I was a little less intimidated by DE. All good though, I know I'll have it down in no time... just takes persistence and practice. Looking forward to it.

If it wasn't intimidating, it wouldn't be fun, would it?:wink2:
I'm sure in a few weeks we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

If it wasn't intimidating, it wouldn't be fun, would it?:wink2:
I'm sure in a few weeks we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Just had my second shave and WOW, what a difference already! I actually finished a full shave this time without resorting back to my trusty DE razor. My face is very smooth - did just two passes and it is as good as I usualy get it with DE. Jawline and neck are a bit rough; still decent but definitely not as good as I can get it with DE yet. I wear a goatee so I can avoid the most challenging area (chin) for now. I got a couple of tiny nicks... had to actually use a cyptic pencil for the first time ever :001_smile

Interesting thing is that I got a couple of nicks on the right side while shaving with my dominant right hand. The left side which I shaved with my left hand I got no cuts at all. I expected it to be the other way around, but maybe I was more careful on the left side... not sure.

Definitely liking this razor more after the second shave. Looking forward to my third shave tomorrow! :w00t:

My fourth shave yesterday wasn't without a bit of blood loss, and a little irritation. Very close though, could barely feel whiskers on face and neck.

I'll be taking a break today, and just shave with the slant. I think I got a little too cocky yesterday. I don't mind a little nick here and there, but irritation does bother me.

Good luck with you shave today. Glad you are liking the Feather.

Top Bottom