What's new

Feather DX Japanese style arrived today...

Trust me, this is next on my list to try :thumbup1: I just don't want to jump from one blade to another while I am still working on some angles.

From what I've heard, (the Pro Super is the only one I've tried so far, so I have no reference for comparison) Pro Supers make shaving easier because of the thicker blade. Apparently Pros are a bit more flexible and tend to bite more.

From what I've heard, (the Pro Super is the only one I've tried so far, so I have no reference for comparison) Pro Supers make shaving easier because of the thicker blade. Apparently Pros are a bit more flexible and tend to bite more.
I am about to order some Supers from Classicshaving. I sent them a question today about replacement scales they sell for Dovo and TI razors. I got a crazy idea of replacing my Feather RG scales with some nice wood scales or something. Not sure if those will fit though, in which case I may make an attempt to make my own :blushing:

As soon as I hear from the vendor if it is yay or nay, I will have some supers on the way.

A bit off topic, but do the Feather Pro-Guard blades that are available for these things actually help or are they just as non-forgiving as the others?

Yes, I believe they do. I have two AC's. I keep one loaded with a Pro Super and the othe loaded with the Guarded blade. When I go into work really early (around 0530), I use the razor with the Guarded blades in it. That keeps me from leaving the house with toilet paper stuck on my face.
When I have time for a nice shave, and my hand-eye coordination is awake and up to speed, I use the razor with the Pro Supers.
The Guarded blades will give a decent shave, too. Not as close or as long lasting as the Supers, but not bad.
I really like the AC system.
Mike

I have found the 'flex' in the thinner Professional Blades to provide a better shave.

But I suppose it's a case of horses for courses (UK equivalent of YMMV).

Just wanted to bring this thread back :biggrin1:

My Feather is now my daily shaver and I have not touched DE in weeks. I get very good shaves with just two passes and a couple of small touch-ups. There is only one small spot on my neck that I always get some razor burn no mater how light I go. The same spot was giving me trouble with DE as well, so I am not surprised.

I also now have KAI Captain folding razor and it is stainless steel and feels just a bit heavier then Feather RG. I do not own Feather DX but I am guessing it is probably very close in weight to it since it is also stainless steel. I have not shaved with KAI yet but I did notice that the the blade sits tiny bit deeper in the channel with less edge showing. I will be trying it out in the next few days.

Cheers.

Since I have gotten reasonably comfortable with my RG (using the Pro-Guard blade), and my RAD disorder kicked in, I am awaiting delivery of my Japanese style DX. I have ordered the "regular light" blades, and the heavier super pro blades, as I guess it is now time to kick off the training wheels and shave with the big boy's blades. There will be bloodshed.

You will do fine with the Big Boy blades. Take it light as you know you should and it will be smooth sailing. Dont be made though when your hairs get scared to grow back from the Supers. lol

Hey guys, sorry but I haven't been checking this post for a bit, but I just looked at that Kai razor. I see there was some mention of getting a group buy put together. Has there been any movement on this? I'd for sure like to get one of these. If we can't find a dealer could we contact the Kai people direct?

Just to add, I've contacted 6 different suppliers/dealers to see if they might be able to get this razor. Its called the Kai Excelia. I'll see what they say and post any findings.

Last edited:
Paul, I remember reading on another forum that KAI representative (in NY I believe) stated in email to a member that they can not sell them in US. I am curious what you hear back from the dealers you contacted and would definitely be interested in a group buy depending on the price point.

I received my Feather DX Japanese Style today. Just to be cautious I put a Pro-Guard blade in it. Wow, what a huge diffference between this and my folding handle RG. Not sure if it is the style, Japanese vs folding handle, or if it is DX vs RG, but this razor is far superior to the foldinng RG in my opinion. I like the handle for sure, no cuts or nicks whatsoever, and BBS in 2 passes. What more could you ask for? Will see how it does with some of the other Feather Blades (Super Pro & Lightweight).

So far I've received replies from three of the dealers I sent requests for getting the Kai straight, and so far all 3 have said they are not going to deal with this straight. The 3 are: Em's Place, Best Grooming Tools, and On the Fly.

I've got 3 more to hear from, I'll post when I hear from them.

This razor is in production by the Kai Co., does anyone have any idea's on how to contact the company about getting these? I'm also wondering what the big deal is about not selling them in the U.S.? :confused1

So far I've received replies from three of the dealers I sent requests for getting the Kai straight, and so far all 3 have said they are not going to deal with this straight. The 3 are: Em's Place, Best Grooming Tools, and On the Fly.

I've got 3 more to hear from, I'll post when I hear from them.

This razor is in production by the Kai Co., does anyone have any idea's on how to contact the company about getting these? I'm also wondering what the big deal is about not selling them in the U.S.? :confused1
http://www.kai-ind.co.jp/en/ is Kai Industries homepage, but I don't think there is any direct sale access.

Not sure if http://www.kashoscissors.co.uk is on your contact list. I mention them only because they carry, or use to carry, the black handled Kai straight that uses the Feather AC blades. I have never bought anything from them.

http://www.kai-ind.co.jp/en/ is Kai Industries homepage, but I don't think there is any direct sale access.

Not sure if http://www.kashoscissors.co.uk is on your contact list. I mention them only because they carry, or use to carry, the black handled Kai straight that uses the Feather AC blades. I have never bought anything from them.

I've had no luck with any of the vendor's I've contacted about carrying the Kai razors. I've contacted the Kai Co. directly, so we'll see if they can offer a solution. I just contacted them now and I'll post if and when they respond. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom