What's new

Proraso After shaving or Splash.??

Sup fellas,
I been using C.O. Bigelow Shaving cream for a while now and i truly love it, and the smell is just awesome. So i wanted to know how are the Aftershaves of Proraso, do they have the same wonderful menthol smell as the cream, and also whats the differences of the balm and AS splash, I know the balm is milky, so dose that mean that the AS splash has alcohol in it..??:001_huh:
thanks,

Last edited:
Yes the Splash has alcohol... If you want a great menthol kick aftershave then this is one to start with. I find it very refreshing and works so well with soothing my skin after a shave. I have not had any chance to use the milk seeing as i have oily skin it would not be worth it. Alcohol is definitely something i need in my A/S splashes. The both have pretty much the same ingredients when it comes to the good stuff... But the milk has more because its a thicker consistency etc.

Splash Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat., Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Parfum (Fragrance), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Allantoin, Menthol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Geraniol, Linool, Caramel, CI 42090 (Acid Blue N.9 / FD&C Blue N.1), CI 47005 (Acid Yellow N.3 / FD&C Yellow N.10).

Balm Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Cyclomethicone, Trilaureth-4 Phosphate, Caprylic Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Caprate, Aluminum Starch, Octenylsuccinate, Menthyl Lactate, Carbomer, Tocopheryl, Acetate, Bisabolol, Allantoin, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Sodium Hydroxide, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

But dose the alcohol burn your face, I've always heard not to use alcohol on your face, but on one of mantic's videos, the barber from T&H use's the aftershave splash with the balm....would it just be over kill..??
thanks,:thumbup1:

The alcohol is used to sterilize and clean cuts, abrasions etc. Hence the reason it is used in A/S splashes. If you have sensitive skin then head in the direction of Milks, Balms, Non Alcohol Witch Hazel etc.

For me personally, the alcohol does wonders and my skin feels amazing after... Hence why i havent even bothered heading towards Balms and Milks. It all depends on what you want! If you are scared of a little stinging or you skin drying out then dont go for A/S splashes containing alcohol.

Oh and some people do use both Splash and Balms... Another option you can do it apply the Alcohol Splash onto a wet face. This will cut down the initial stinging and may slow down your skin drying out so much.

Last edited:
The alcohol is used to sterilize and clean cuts, abrasions etc. Hence the reason it is used in A/S splashes. If you have sensitive skin then head in the direction of Milks, Balms, Non Alcohol Witch Hazel etc.

For me personally, the alcohol does wonders and my skin feels amazing after... Hence why i havent even bothered heading towards Balms and Milks. It all depends on what you want! If you are scared of a little stinging or you skin drying out then dont go for A/S splashes containing alcohol.

Oh and some people do use both Splash and Balms... Another option you can do it apply the Alcohol Splash onto a wet face. This will cut down the initial stinging and may slow down your skin drying out so much.

ok, but is it ok to mix balm and aftershave together..??

If you use the Splash first and let it dry then apply a balm i dont see why it wouldnt work... I havent done this personally, but ive read people doing both with good results etc.

Peter,

It is absolutely ok to do splash then balm...and a lot of guys do! Its really your preferance and what works for your face. For some guys..a splash is too harsh as a finish, but a nice astringent. For others, balms are too thick.

Proraso splash is the only splash I've found that I can use without a balm afterwords...its that good! But I often use both :wink:

Its hard to put into words, but its nothing like the soap, cream or the splash. Its a mild clean scent.

Have you checked out the reviews listed under B&B for both items? The balm is one that has been reviewed MANY times...the splash too.

Good luck and post your results after you get one or the other!

I'm clearly a fan (I have the balm too) :smile:

As far as Balms vs. Splashes, general rule of thumb:

Oily skin: Use splashes (alcohol-based, witch hazel, and various concoctions thereof).

Dry skin: Use balms.

Normal skin: Balms in the winter, splashes in the summer.

Freely vary these rules so far as it suits your skin.

As far as Balms vs. Splashes, general rule of thumb:

Oily skin: Use splashes (alcohol-based, witch hazel, and various concoctions thereof).

Dry skin: Use balms.

Normal skin: Balms in the winter, splashes in the summer.

Freely vary these rules so far as it suits your skin.

Well the thing is that i have oily to dry skin, Oh and the aftershave splash, dose it smell like the cream..?

Its hard to put into words, but its nothing like the soap, cream or the splash. Its a mild clean scent.

Have you checked out the reviews listed under B&B for both items? The balm is one that has been reviewed MANY times...the splash too.

Good luck and post your results after you get one or the other!

I'm clearly a fan (I have the balm too) :smile:

nice pic

The Splash smells cleaner and a little stronger in the menthol area. I find the shaving cream to have the faintest menthol smell out of the whole range from Proraso.

The Splash smells cleaner and a little stronger in the menthol area. I find the shaving cream to have the faintest menthol smell out of the whole range from Proraso.

WOW that's it am going for the AS splash, now the only thing is do i buy the balm as well...:001_rolle
thanks,

if you want a menthol kick without the alcohol burn and you want it to smell like menthol, just get the pre/post in the small glass jar...you can use it as a post shave and it will freeze your face

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried both and the Splash is better than the balm IMO.

I prefer a splash than a balm.

Both products are excellent!

Top Bottom