What's new

What am I missing? DE better than Mach 3?

Guy's I realize that it's nostalgic, and romantic to shave like Cary Grant did.

I enjoy a shave on the weekends with a DE or injector myself. But Come on, A Mach 3 will shave a lot closer and smoother that any DE or injector. I usually have to do 3-4 passes with my Merkur to get as close as 1 pass with a Mach 3.

The Mach 3 has no pull or tug, when used with a good brush and shave cream.

So who on here really thinks a DE will shave closer and smoother that a Mach 3?

I shave with a Shavette. I do 4 passes and enjoy all of it. I get no irritation and a closer all-around shave than when I used a Mach 3.

When I used a Mach 3, I had massive irritation on my neck. Bumps, redness, etc. The spots under my jawbone were habitually shaggy. My upper lip and the spaces around my upper lip were usually irritated and in pain after a shave.

Yes, my Shavette and, by extension, DE's are way better than a Mach 3.

I do, for one. It is definitely one of those YMMV things. I get much closer shaves than I did with the M3. Besides that, I get much more comfortable shaves too. However, as I said, DE is for everyone.

Zenas said:
When I used a Mach 3, I had massive irritation on my neck. Bumps, redness, etc. The spots under my jawbone were habitually shaggy. My upper lip and the spaces around my upper lip were usually irritated and in pain after a shave.

This has been my experience also.

I always could get a clean shave with an M3, but suffered following the shave. Never could get a clean shave with a fusion. The change to DE and SE razors has been worthwhile.

-- John Gehman

i shave with a DE when I have time, I find it relaxing and yes, it does provide a better shave. however, when i'm in a hurry i shave with a mach3 and get a perfectly fine shave, although not as smooth/close as a DE

I will occasionally do touch up with my Sensor if I shaved too aggressively the day before or used a new brand of blade that didn't agree with me. I think my DE with a 7 O'Clock Yellow does a better job with no iritation than my Sensor. I have NEVER used anything with more than two blades though so I can't tell you about a M3.

+1. I may have gotten a closer shave in a shorter amount of time; however, due to cost I would inevitably use the razor too long and have lots of irritation and the razor would tug and pull at my whiskers. With DE/SR I have not experienced irritation (except the few times I took off too much of my face) and, albeit it may take longer, I believe I get a closer, smoother, and more comfortable shave.

Guy's I realize that it's nostalgic, and romantic to shave like Cary Grant did.

I enjoy a shave on the weekends with a DE or injector myself. But Come on, A Mach 3 will shave a lot closer and smoother that any DE or injector. I usually have to do 3-4 passes with my Merkur to get as close as 1 pass with a Mach 3.

The Mach 3 has no pull or tug, when used with a good brush and shave cream.

So who on here really thinks a DE will shave closer and smoother that a Mach 3?

Think about what your saying here. You have to make 3 passes with a single blade to get as close as with a triple blade? Well that doesn't seem like rocket science there man. You are basically making 3 passes with your Mach 3 in 1 pass the question I ask though is how much are you spending? $10 for what 4 cartridges? I got 50 derby's for $16 and my DE blades last longer. And my wife certainly thinks I get a smoother shave.

Its not just about quality of shave with my DE. Its about slowing down and focusing on 1 thing for a few minutes. I can get a DFS with my mach 3 in about 5 minutes and i dont have to put a lot of thought into it. I can get a DFS with my DE in about 10 minutes but i have to slow down and pay attention to what i am doing. No problems in the world, just remove the hair from my face, for 10 minutes ,nothing else.

I didn't realize how much I hated cartridge razors until I stopped using them. M3 a better shave than a DE? Yeah, no.

I will still use a Fusion at home if I am really in a hurry and have to shave in the shower.

I have a Mach 3 that was given to me as a gift that I use when I travel via airplane and don't want to check my bags.

They are both fine for me- but pricey. I guess the attraction to DE for me is:

1) Nostalgia- I like vacuum tube amps, etc vs solid state. Plus a lot of times the old stuff works better.
2) I like mechanical stuff- I will take an automatic watch over a quartz any day of the week.
3) In theory it SHOULD be less expensive. And it probably will be once I stop buying all these cool old razors.

For me, I think it's probably a pretty close match if I'm wet shaving and using the same lather. However, the cartridge doesn't do as well on my neck. I think the extra weight of the DE or maybe the aggressive angle helps with the swirling difficult grain. It seems to skip on my neck.. I wonder if anyone else gets that.

Wet shaving with a cartridge or a DE doesn't take any noticeable difference in time. I could cut a few minutes if I used some canned goop but then the shave is definitely not as close or comfortable.

Anyways, I really like the feel of the DE on my face and in my hand. I like the way it shaves and if I want to take the time I can get closer with more passes. I can't do multiple passes with the cartridge; it becomes too irritating.

I am 100% sure beyond a shadow of a doubt, that a DE razor, a SE razor, and an Injector is certainly light years superior to the piece of crap that is the Mach 3, and Fusion.

All of the cartridge razors made after the Sensor have been nothing more than needless gimmicks.

The Mach 3, and Fusion gave me major irritation, and cuts every shave.

I experience a nearly irritation free shave, and seldom cut myself with my DE/SE/ Injector razors, so yes they are superior.

Top Bottom