What's new

What am I missing? DE better than Mach 3?

Guy's I realize that it's nostalgic, and romantic to shave like Cary Grant did.

I enjoy a shave on the weekends with a DE or injector myself. But Come on, A Mach 3 will shave a lot closer and smoother that any DE or injector. I usually have to do 3-4 passes with my Merkur to get as close as 1 pass with a Mach 3.

The Mach 3 has no pull or tug, when used with a good brush and shave cream.

So who on here really thinks a DE will shave closer and smoother that a Mach 3?

I used to feel the very same way -- that a DE takes so much more effort to get a comparable shave to my beloved Mach3. The thing that I discovered, however, is that I couldn't shave every day with a Mach3, else my face would get irritated very quickly. And so, I had to skip a day just to "heal".

With the DE, I found that I got zero irritation (barring the use of a bum blade, such as the "vertical label" Derbys, or a bum shaving soap such as Burt's Bees), and that I could shave every day.

Does that mean that over all a DE is a lot more work? Sure it is. But, it's also so much more enjoyable -- both the after effects of the shave itself, and the pleasure of being able to pick which soap or cream to use every DAY as opposed to only 3-4 times per week. And that makes it an all-around pleasure.

Usual YMMV caveats and disclaimers, of course. :001_smile

Jimmy.

i too still use my m3 occasionally, less so now, but as i was getting started with DE i would try to stick to the two pass recommendation and then use the m3 for clean-up.

i'm very specific about the cartridges though. i loathe the turbo and power versions and the less said about fusion the better. all of them seem to clog up the blades like crazy. i assume the different coating on the blades doesn't work well with thicker hair. the m3 isn't as nice as DE, but it's not the royal pain the other cartridges are.

The more I read the more I am happy that I don't use the M3. I had one for a day or two back when they first came out. I quickly converted back to a Sensor. The Sensor is the first razor I ever used (my Dad had me using an electric). I went through some Bic disposables in basic training but after a week I even bought a new Sensor. My brother used to make fun of me and encouraged me to buy another M3 but I couldn't do it (he now uses the Fusion power thingy). I couldn't stand to use it. I can't shave under my nose with it. I guess it works for some but DE shaving has been the best thing for me since the Sensor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom