What's new

Starter brush under $40

Has anyone got recommendations for a beginner looking to spend under $40 for a brush. I'd like to go badger (already have a cheapo boar brush), and that's about as much as I know (don't yet know if I prefer face or bowl lathering, soaps, etc.). Just looking for an introductory badger brush to get started while I figure out what works for me.

Thanks!

You can't be the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush. Should run you around $30 new.

I highly suggest you try to scrounge up another $15 and go for a Rooney 1/1 in Best though.

Omega, Vulfix, and Edwin Jagger make badger brushes in your price range. I would try to at least go for a mid-grade brush if possible as pure badger is pretty prickly and might not feel like much of an upgrade from boar. If you can up your budget to $45-50 or so, you might be able to swing a smaller sized (like 20-22mm knot) Vulfix or Omega in silvertip grade. These size knots are actually what a lot of guys prefer for badger brushes. I think West Coast Shaving has the best prices on these that I've seen.

Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush......highly recommended around these parts...I believe around $35 if the price point hasn't changed.

The C&E is the same thing as the Jagger, just a different name on the handle. Problem is C&E doesn't always have it in stock, so if you want it, you may have to order direct from English Shaving Co. in the UK and get one with a Jagger label instead.

To be perfectly honest; I recommend not getting a starter brush at all. Just get a good brush right out of the gate, like a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1. Vintage Blades is a good source.

To be perfectly honest; I recommend not getting a starter brush at all. Just get a good brush right out of the gate, like a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1. Vintage Blades is a good source.

+1. Before you know it you'll have two brushes and could have saved some money on one really good one.

Top Bottom