What's new

Alum block or Styptic pencil?

They are used for different purposes. Styptic pencil stops bleeding of nicks/cuts. Alum bloc can be used as an aftershave/astringent and will only stop minor bleeding.

They are used for different purposes. Styptic pencil stops bleeding of nicks/cuts. Alum bloc can be used as an aftershave/astringent and will only stop minor bleeding.

+1

Get both. Shop around for the Alum as prices vary considerably for what is exactly the same. An alternative to Alum is Witch Hazel.

So, if I'm already using a good AS with aloe and witch hazel in it, the alum block is an unnecessary purchase?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that. The alum block is antiseptic and is good for the face and skin. I use styptic if needed, but I also use the alum block as a good overall toner for the skin. After I wash off the alum I'll also give a nice splash of witch hazel before any AS. That routine makes my face feel really good and I don't think its overkill. Again, this is my routine, it works for me, but with many things YMMV. :001_tongu :biggrin1:

Technically alum, witch hazel and alcohol are somewhat redundant in that they're all astringents and antiseptics.

Alum leaves a residue on the surface of your skin that you rinse off.

I use witch hazel by itself 95% of the time. I use alum when I've had a particularly rough shave. I don't use the two together. I only use a styptic with a cut that won't stop bleeding with a cold water rinse or alum/witch hazel. Fortunately, that's about twice a year.

Use whatever works for you and feels best on your face.

- Peter

I also find my alum block works well as a kind of litmus test. If I've used a bit too much pressure on a part of my face, the alum will let me know about it post shave and I can pay a bit more attention to that area on my next shave. I need such pointers less and less these days, but it still helps now and again.

I have an alum block I use sometimes, but no styptic pencil. The alum block has been sufficient so far. I do have a 40 year old can of alum powder I used to put on cuts from my cartridge razor. I just make a little paste out of it and put it on the cut. Haven't been cut that bad from a DE.

Alum block works for me stopping minor nicks and cuts from bleeding but i found it dryed my skin out too much when i used it all over my face so i stopped and just apply my alum block to nicks and cuts now:wink2:

Top Bottom