What's new

How to keep my new blade clean?

I have a SS DOvo "Renaissance". :cool: (My first -partial:redface: - shave was yesterday)

How do I clean the bade after shaving?
I tried running it under hot water and then patting it dry (no wipping); there are still some marks there.
Is it ok to use rubbing alcohol?
THanks!

If it is new. I simply take a dry towel between my index finger and thumb, lay the back of the razor in there so terry is on both sides of the blade, pinch a little and pull it through a few times. You can get right down to the edge with no danger.

If it is new. I simply take a dry towel between my index finger and thumb, lay the back of the razor in there so terry is on both sides of the blade, pinch a little and pull it through a few times. You can get right down to the edge with no danger.

So its ok to rub (and not just pat) as long as the cloth does not touch the edge of the blade....

Ok, but what do I put on the towel/terrry cloth?
Can I put alcohol on it?

Yes, never touch the edge. My method should keep you away from it. Don't be afraid to get right up to it.. I don't put anything on the blade, unless I am not gong to use it for a while. Then a little clenzoil.

Yes, never touch the edge. My method should keep you away from it. Don't be afraid to get right up to it.. I don't put anything on the blade, unless I am not gong to use it for a while. Then a little clenzoil.

DOes alcohol "hurt" the blade, if anyone knows.

Alcohol does not hurt the blade, but it will strip off every last trace of oil on the blade which makes it much more vulnerable to rust unless you promptly re-oil it. Stainless steel razors aren't nearly as rust-resistant as SS kitchenware, you see plenty of rusted-out Friodurs on ebay...

I clean the blade by pinching it with a towel, then strop it lightly on the same towel, then leave it out to finish air-drying for a few minutes while I get dressed. Then I oil it by doing the same routine above but with an oiled handkerchief. I live in a very humid climate (houston TX) so I'm pretty paranoid about rust, if you live somewhere drier then this is probably overkill.

There are also some spray-on combination cleaner/lubricants you can use, one's called barbicide and the other is called clippercide, though I'm not sure of the difference between them...

Yes, you can use alcohol on the blade (keep it away from the scales though). I use it after each shave to clean the blade. I use a cotton ball and gently - barely touching- wipe the blade from spine toward edge. This is probably overkill on my part, but hey it makes me feel better.

I then use the "pinch" method described above. Then I lay the towel on a flat surface and gently "strop" the blade on the towel (spine leading) to make sure the edge is dry. Then I hit the real strop for a few laps. This works for me, but you have to be careful not to catch the edge.

Jordan

I clean the blade by pinching it with a towel, then strop it lightly on the same towel, then leave it out to finish air-drying for a few minutes while I get dressed. Then I oil it by doing the same routine above but with an oiled handkerchief. I live in a very humid climate (houston TX) so I'm pretty paranoid about rust, if you live somewhere drier then this is probably overkill.

+1

This is all you need to do to the blade after shaving. It is exactly what I do and no rust or any other problems have developed. I'm in Central Texas and the humidity here is also high most of the year so as long as I dry the blade and let sit out to air dry it will be in good shape. Right now I dont oil my blades as the weather is dry but when summer comes around I will oil them before I put them away.

Raf

From what I've read, you probably don't want to be using WD-40 or similar products on something that will be in as intimate contact with your skin as a razor. It seems that camellia oil or mineral oil (probably a few others) are recommended. Dovo also makes a product for this purpose. You can find it on classicshaving.com

Jordan

Top Bottom