What's new

Mach 3 vs HD

I have used the M3 for some years now. The shaves have always been smooth on the first day, but instead of a 5 O'clock shadow, I got a 5 O'clock razor burn! (If it even waited that long.)

I convreted to the DE world and ordered a Merkur HD. I got the angle and no pressure thing dow rather quick. No pressure means no pressure. Also, there is a pictorial somewhere about holding the blade at the bottom of the handle, I used this technique and no problems! Then, while awaiting Letter K's sample pack: HD went wrong! On a few shaves, I got razor burn, skin irritation and leftover stubble. I was having to do clean up with the M3 afterwards.

So, while I waiting for Letter K's pack, I did the following. I purchased a pack of M3 blades (I'm going back tonight to finish paying them off). I shaved for two days with the M3.
RESULTS: A decently smooth shave, some iritation, some razor burn. After the first pass, a lot of hair is gone, and this is quite rewarding!

Because I didn't want to give up so quickly on the HD, I used the HD for three passes: with the grain, across the grain, and against the grain. I applied no pressure and maintained the proper angle--what a great feeling it is when you get into the groove of proper angle. After the HD, I used the M3 to clean some hard spots--mainly right under my jawline.

Well, it looks like, atleast right now, the HD and M3 work best when combined, not opposed. The HD/M3 combination is great. My girlfriend could not keep her hands off my face, and that, my friends, is what it is all about! While, this combo may be considered blasphemy for some, until I can get Letter K's pack, it is a welcomed solution. Now, I am getting a BBS shave with hardly any irritation. Sure, I am kind of defeating the purpose of the DE by forking up the dough for the M3 cartridges, but I have no razor burn, my face is smooth, and the best part: my girlfirend is freaking out! She is more impressed with the smoothness of my face then she is with some new Bath and Body thing she's using!

No, it's not great, maybe not even acceptable to some, but it's doing what I need, getting the job done: smooth shave, no burn. Hd and M3, just like Ebony and Ivory!

You might try Anthony oil free moisturizer. It's what I use and it works really well. I use to get a lot of razor burn and after I starting using that it seemed to stop. Good luck.

I would bet that once you get your samples from LetterK, you'll be able to "go for the gold"... just you and the DE! :cool:

Chances are, it was the NEW blades, rather than the M3, that did the trick. What is good is that your shaving technique with the DE probably played a major role in all of that. :thumbup1:

Once you settle in on a good blade to razor to face combination, you can order a larger quanitity of blades. That will allow to stay home and enjoy the benefits of the BBS shave that your g/f appreciates so much! :thumbup:

chop-chop

As a beginner you might use the M3 to clean up some trouble spots, but once you master the HD your M3 will be of no use to you.

I say this from personal experience.

Always remember that DEs require you to pay attention. The Mach allows you to be assleep at the switch. If you apply yourself you will find that the Mach is of no use. Mine was of little use to me.

Top Bottom