What's new

Old Type Appreciation Thread

Great thread idea
I love the old types I'm glad it hasn't caught on you can still pick one up for a great price and to me the best shaving razor if you like aggressive shaves.
I'll post a pic of the 1918 and the 20's that I use tomr.:thumbup:

My Bull Mastiff Old Type posing with some vintage Avon Tribute AS and vintage Colgate soap and my Ever Ready 150 brush yesterday.

proxy.php

It was the first one I bought - $5.00. Very worn and tarnished and I got it because I knew that as I cleaned it if a mistake was made it wouldn't have cost me much. Little did I think the shave would be so very good. I love to shave with it and am always pleased.

My understanding is the NEW puts more "curve" to the blade as you screw the handle down tight. So the blade then is presented to the skin at a slightly different angle.

If I interpret those pics correctly, the Merkur 15c seems to be a direct copy of the Old Type head. Or am I totally wrong?

I have recently been completely won over by the Old Types ! My favorite is the classic Single Ring, and for me, nothing rivals the glassy smoothness it leaves in its wake. I do also love my Ball End Old Type as well -- the Ball End is tarnished to the point of being a perfect dark shiny razor -- looks super cool.

I started DE shaving about a month ago. I started with my father-in-law's old Fat Boy. It was OK on a 3...
I found an old, crusty New in the local antique shop for $4.00.:w00t:
I cleaned it up and it was a great shave.
Then I found an Old Type army issue (1918) in the same shop for $5.00.
It is an AWESOME shave!!
Absolutlely NO irritation, cleaned up my neck with 2 passes!!
I'm cycling through my blade sample pack and Feather blades in the Old are the combo that works the best for me (so far).
I have since been checking out auctions looking for more of these....:001_smile
John

Type 102 Single Ring, 1908. One of my very favorite razors.

First, how it looked when I got it:

And how it looked after cleaning & extensive treatment with mild silver polish - no plating loss except on the tips of the comb:

Type 102 Single Ring, early 1906:

As you see, that one cleaned up nicely also.
Got it in a lot along with a 1947 SS TTO and was surprised to discover its age and good condition.
It looked very raunchy before cleaning and polishing!

Notice the knob on the bottom...it seems never to have been plated, because there wasn't any trace of silver deep in the crevices of the knurling. Consequently I treated it with Brasso.

Type 102A Pocket Set, no SN:

I have others but these are the ones I've used most often. A replated (chrome? nickel?) Old-Type ball-end permanently resides in my medicine cabinet along with different daily-use razors.

- Bill

Last edited:
Marc, that's a beauty, case and all! One day I'll snag a clamshell like that. One of the prettiest pocket sets.

- Bill

Thanks bill, I also have a basket weave cased set but both razor are plain jane .. still yearning for a nice shell handled razor to go with it...

Great Pics.

Of my DE's, the Old Type on a BRW Improved handle is my favorite by a good margin. It probably gets used more then all my other razors put together. I have considered selling all my other DE razors and getting a back up. Here it is with a long comb NEW on a Bull Mastiff. I've used this pic before, but don't have a camera right now.

Attachments

• $brwrazors.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 362
I finally got my first shave with my Old Type. I am going to try a Feather in it tomorrw instead of the Shark I used this morning. I also decided to polish it up last night with some silver polish. OMG! What a difference it made!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got an "Old Style" the other day and it polished up nicely. I'm using an Avon blade right now and it does the job quite well. But i have different blades so experimentation is in order.

bump

LOVE my Old Type, got some of my best shaves ever with a single ring/astra SS/proraso set up. Tried it first with a Shark SC, hated it. Just goes to show ymmv!

bump

LOVE my Old Type, got some of my best shaves ever with a single ring/astra SS/proraso set up. Tried it first with a Shark SC, hated it. Just goes to show ymmv!

I just got a great Old Type shave while loaded with a Derby :thumbup1:
Before I had problems with the Old/Derby combo but I seem to have overcame it.
Wp

Top Bottom