What's new

What Are You Reading?

Yeah fantastic book starting on The Dirt soon the motley crue autobiography

The Dirt is cool, but much more tabloid and about shock value. It's still a good read IMHO. Have you read "White Line Fever"? The autobiography by Lemmy from Mötorhead? I'm not a big fan of the band, but a great book. "Hell Bent for Leather" is also a great rock'n roll book, a story about a metalhead in the 80's. Written in a very funny way.

Needed something quick and light just to keep me occupied and out of everyone's way for short periods the last two nights so I re-read "Day by Day Armageddon". Not bad for zombie fiction, but basically the book equivalent of eating a Twinkie.

I have to read at least fifty pages of history books each day for school (or at least average as much), but each night I'm reading a short story from Ray Bradbury's The October Country.

Just got 1Q84 and I can hardly wait until the semester ends to dig in.

Have you read "White Line Fever"? The autobiography by Lemmy from Mötorhead? I'm not a big fan of the band, but a great book. "Hell Bent for Leather" is also a great rock'n roll book, a story about a metalhead in the 80's. Written in a very funny way.
no ill have to find them ozzys autobiography is a good read too

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'm now reading "Fail-safe" by Eugene Burdick & Harvey Wheeler. As the story goes..;

"Something has gone wrong. A group of American bombers armed with nuclear weapons is streaking past the fail-safe point, beyond recall, and no one knows why. Their destination -- Moscow.

In a bomb shelter beneath the White House, the calm young president turns to his Russian translator and says, "I think we are ready to talk to Premier Kruschchev." Not far away, in the War Room at the Pentagon, the secretary of defense and his aides watch with growing anxiety as the luminous blips crawl across a huge screen map. High over the Bering Strait in a large Vindicator bomber, a colonel stares in disbelief at the attack code number on his fail-safe box and wonders if it could possibly be a mistake.

First published in 1962, when America was still reeling from the Cuban missle crisis, Fail-Safe reflects the apocalyptic attitude that pervaded society during the height of the Cold War, when disaster could have struck at any moment. As more countries develop nuclear capabilities and the potential for new enemies lurks on the horizon, Fail-Safe and its powerful issues continue to respond".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail-Safe_(novel)

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison

Marne, 1914, by Holger Herwig. History of the start of WW1 through the first battle of the Marne, using some new German documents that became available after unification. Also it's by a German, so he's got a bit different take on the whole thing (think southern take on Gettysburg, as Marne was the turning point of WW1 for the Germans as Gettysburg was for the WBTS, it just took them longer to finally lose than it did the south after Gettysburg). Very interesting interpretation.

I'm now on A Feast For Crows, book 4 of the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Not sure how I made it through A Storm of Swords after the Red Wedding chapter. That was an extremely tough read. Much worse than Ned's death in A Game of Thrones, or even Renly in A Clash of Kings. I was also pretty sad to see The Old Bear go. At least he made up for it by offing that little jerk Joffery!

Just finished Hideaway- Dean Koontz...my "smoko break " book between books.

Just started New York- Edward Rutherfurd

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Finished The Snowman by Nesbo, pretty good though like most translated works it takes a while to get the lingo right .. I've ordered more from the library but all of his are loaned or on hold so twill be a while. Started Lewis' Main Street, as penance for the Cliffs Notes period I am re-reading a classic every other book.

Just finished The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. Great memoir about life in the heartland in the 1950s. Very funny stuff. Just started A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, and am excited to get into the meat of it. Happy reading!

Just started A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, and am excited to get into the meat of it. Happy reading!

The first 100 pages or so are amazing, but it collapses after that, imo. Well worth it for that start alone--totally virtuosic, sui generis style on display there. No mystery why it was nominated for a National Book Award.

Top Bottom