What's new

What Are You Reading?

"Algebra for Dummies", so I can CLEP College Algebra and get a stinking Associates which is now required for promotion. Gee, nothing more fun than studying something you have zero interest in :(

I've been reading detective fiction lately, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries, like Family Affair as well as Robert Goldsborough's continuation books like the prequel Archie Meets Nero Wolfe, very entertaining.

A very good self published space opera series, A Star Too Far by Casey calouette. Six bucks for a three book series, and unlike most self published sci fi, this series was basically worth the money. I enjoyed it.

If you liked Hornet Flight, you're in for a treat. I don't think it was one of his best works. I rank Eye of the Needle as my favourite of his books but other great ones include The Key to Rebecca and The Man From St Petersburg. Pillars of the Earth was more of an epic and also a great read. In truth, a bad Follett book is still better than many other books, I find.

Ha, thank you for the gentle correction in the book title! I just started reading Jackdaws. We'll see how it compares.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My nephew is reading Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Books" for school, so I'm taking a break from Hans Christian Andersen to read it too.

Since the last time I posted I finished Jemisin's The Broken Kingdom (sequel to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms). I'm now on book 3, The Kingdom of Gods. I think once I'm done, I'll move on to another author just so I don't burn out by reading too many of her books back to back.

Let us know if you feel this way after making it through book 10!

I enjoyed Books 7-10, and I found they were just not as crisp as the earlier books and the last four books in the series. I felt Jordan found his stride again on Book 11, but unfortunately he passed away. Sanderson did a good job of completing the series.

Wheel of Time - Crown of Swords.

Meh. The prophets spoke, and this one didn't measure up to the beginning of the series. So only a few thousand pages until we get back on track?

My wife and kids are reading To Kill a Mockingbird for school. I've been off work for seemingly forever because of snow, so I've been reading along with them. This book was fantastic the first time, and even better now many years later.

My nephew is reading Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Books" for school, so I'm taking a break from Hans Christian Andersen to read it too.
Of all the books I read to my kids at bedtime (and excluding Pratchett) I enjoyed The Jungle Book the most.
Well written, dramatic and exciting, and far better than I was expecting.

About to reread A Brief History of Time as my son is reading it for a project and I fear I may be called on to explain.
I also fear that I didn't quite grasp it 20 years ago and haven't much better hope now.

Dune - Frank Herbert
I would like to read this book long time ago. Just started and i could not stop reading. I love sci-fi and "dune " is one of the the top of sci-fi literature for sure.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Of all the books I read to my kids at bedtime (and excluding Pratchett) I enjoyed The Jungle Book the most.
Well written, dramatic and exciting, and far better than I was expecting.
I first read it several years ago, and I really enjoyed it, so when I saw that they were reading it for school, I figured I revisit it.

We Hold These Truths To Be Self-Evident............12 Natural Laws of Freedom, Progress and Success.
By Oliver DeMille

I have 1913 also, will read it next.

Attachments

• $FreedomBundle.png
    $FreedomBundle.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 91
The War of Flowers by Tad Williams.

proxy.php

It's about a musician who gets pulled into the land of the faerie and caught in the middle of a war between faerie nobility.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
I'm now reading Alexandria Ripley's sequel to Margaret Mitchell's 'Gone with the Wind' ...entitled 'Scarlett'.

So far a good read and I think Ripley 'captured' the style, prose, syntax and muse of Mitchell herself. Delightful! :thumbsup:

"The book begins where Gone with the Wind left off, with Scarlett attending the funeral of her former sister-in-law and rival for Ashley Wilkes' affection, Melanie Wilkes, at which her estranged husband, Rhett Butler, is not present. Scarlett, heartbroken and aggravated that Rhett left her, sets out for Tara and is saddened when she learns that Mammy, her mainstay since birth, is dying.

She sends a telegram to notify Rhett about Mammy under the name of Will Benteen (her sister, Suellen's, husband), because she knows that Rhett won't come if he suspects Scarlett is there. Before Mammy dies, she makes Rhett swear to look after Scarlett. Rhett agrees, although he has no intention of honoring the request. After Mammy's death, Rhett and Scarlett fight, which culminates in Rhett leaving and Scarlett returning to the Atlanta house, determined to win Rhett back.

Scarlett travels to Charleston to visit Rhett's family and tries to corner him by winning his mother's affection. She convinces Rhett to take her for a sail on the harbour, where their boat capsizes during a terrible storm. Scarlett and Rhett swim to an island, where they make love in a cave. Rhett initially denies, then admits, that he loves Scarlett, but he does not want to "lose himself" over her again.

Back in Charleston, Rhett leaves Scarlett near death at his mother's house, telling her, in a letter, that while he admires her bravery, he will never see her again.

After Scarlett regains her strength, she leaves Charleston with her two aunts, Pauline and Eulalie, to attend her maternal grandfather's birthday celebration in Savannah. She leaves a note to Rhett's mother with Rhett's sister, Rosemary, who burns the note".

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlett_%28Ripley_novel%29

proxy.php

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]
"Reading is to mind what exercise is to the body. Joseph Addison [/FONT]

Top Bottom