What's new

My Guess... 3017

and Arko is Arko but can also be Arko.
This made me snort out loud!

Great comparison of the staples. You'd certainly expect Harris to come out on top, but you can't quibble with your preference. As I get more into this hobby, the more I realize that we are too quick to dismiss the glycerin based soaps. They lather easily, perform well and have great scents. Really, who cares if they were not made with Minotaur tallow and unicorn tears? I'm tempted to predict your "Big Sticks" winner based on scent alone.
I think because there are more bad glycerin soaps than there are bad tallow soaps. I find that the good glycerin soaps can be REALLY GOOD! Cough QED cough.

strop

Now half as wise
The soap that wins this category is:
View attachment 478148

Colonel Conk Bay Rum
:a14::straight::a14:

I felt conflicted on this one. I hold Harris soaps in high regard and in my mental hierarchy of soaps, Harris sits higher than Col Conk. But, in the end, I had to admit that I simply got consistently better shaves from Conk and just generally enjoyed those shaves more than the shaves I got from Harris.

Col Conk soaps were the first I used, almost exclusively for years, until I discovered B&B. Looks like I'll eventually need to try these again.

I have been absent for a while with a house move and loads on my mind but I am checking back in and hoping to be here more regularly. My jar of MdC is still going strongly- I have shaved almost every day and the soap is holding up very well. It is still not my favourite soap but has improved a little in my estimation this past few days since moving into an area with better water quality.

Transferred my XXX to one of my twist seal containers. I really like these for loading. They are a little over 2" tall so there is room to work the brush without spilling proto lather everywhere. And a little over 3" wide so pucks fit in without problems.

The XXX is SUPER soft and came out in one piece when I scooped it. It's fairly light too. Not thick and sticky. I think this will work better for loading.

While I was at it, I re-organized my soaps and creams and took stock...I have work to do.

Unmarked containers clockwise from top left are XXX, PdP, Tabac, and Mama Bear.

Great comparison of the staples. You'd certainly expect Harris to come out on top, but you can't quibble with your preference. As I get more into this hobby, the more I realize that we are too quick to dismiss the glycerin based soaps. They lather easily, perform well and have great scents. Really, who cares if they were not made with Minotaur tallow and unicorn tears? I'm tempted to predict your "Big Sticks" winner based on scent alone.
I agree. I think tallow soaps and tallow substitute soaps are good and they are my typical preference, but that "glycerin soaps" offer something tallow soaps don't. Kind of like having a regular car is a good stable idea and probably the better overall choice, but sometimes hopping on a motorbike is just what the moment calls for:laugh:

Oh, what will the natives think!
I know! I was a little worried about this one:a49:
Conk.....Who knew. I've actually never tried Conk, one of these years.

Great comparisson and write up.
Thank you. If you do try them, my suggestion is to stick with the almond or bay rum - the other options seem to perform poorly in comparison.

I found Conk's Almond and Bay Rum nice enough, but there seemed to be something "different" (in a "lacking" sort of way) about the Lime.
I absolutely agree. The lime must have a different formula or some mix of ingredients that don't work together. I ended up throwing it out.

Col Conk soaps were the first I used, almost exclusively for years, until I discovered B&B. Looks like I'll eventually need to try these again.
Yes. I think we sometimes forget to come back to the products that first worked so well for us. Sort of the idea that if a soap is easily attainable it is too blasé to be good. And, we end up missing out on some enjoyable to use, readily available products. In that same vein, I have Proraso slated for use after my sticks category and am really looking forward it.

Yes. I think we sometimes forget to come back to the products that first worked so well for us. Sort of the idea that if a soap is easily attainable it is too blasé to be good. And, we end up missing out on some enjoyable to use, readily available products. In that same vein, I have Proraso slated for use after my sticks category and am really looking forward it.

I've 3017'd just one soap more than once, MWF, and it was even better the second time around.

I've 3017'd just one soap more than once, MWF, and it was even better the second time around.

You want to do it again. I'm having a hard time being motivated to shave with it. :sob:

I think I'll experiment with filtered water this week. If it's still not impressing me with that and my soap killer, I'm probably giving up.

I was also a bit let down by DR Harris for the reasons you described. The scent was amazing, but the lather was finnicky and it lacked slickness.

I haven't used Conk, but I have used VDH Deluxe a number of times, and it's a really good basic glycerin soap. On the whole, it is easier to lather than Harris, and while it isn't the greatest lather ever, it's plenty slick.

Every time I lather up RazoRock XXX, I'm disappointed because the lather doesn't look and feel amazing (like whipped yogurt). But it's super slick, and I always get really good shaves from it.

I have stocked my soft soaps mainly with Tallow Based RR. My hard soaps have been restocked with Haslinger (different scents and non-sheep) and PdP and my Winter Cream will likely be restocked with Proraso Blue.

If the second go rounds are as good as the first, I can easily see myself re-3017ing and sticking with these as my go-to's in each category or at least trying to stick with them.

Having tried Stroppe the past couple days, Panna in the past (both of which were on par with RR) and Harris which didn't work out, I have tried and sampled most of the stuff I have a desire too.

That's not to say I'm not tempted by ones I haven't tried....SCS, Calani, Tikki etc.

I didn't even know Fine had been out long enough to 3017.

Seems to me I got it right around the first of the month. I normally shave early morning and once or twice per week I have late dinner meetings so I often shave twice per day when attending those. Part of the reason I got into this whole DE thing...just try shaving twice per day with a Fusion. ouchie.

You want to do it again. I'm having a hard time being motivated to shave with it. :sob:

I think I'll experiment with filtered water this week. If it's still not impressing me with that and my soap killer, I'm probably giving up.

Jessy-My method is to soak the soap for a good ten minutes, take a moderately damp brush to the soap for a full minute, and then face lather. Bowl lathering is really tough for me with it. You can also give it a really little squirt of cream to JumpStart it. Using my method, you should see lather forming on the puck that you can scrape onto your brush before working up the lather.

My RazoRock XX white tub has officially bit the dust...A brief commentary and usage data points:

I would rate performance as an 8/10. Shaves and post-skin feel were really good but clearly behind my previous two 3017 products (B&M Nocturne and AoS Sandalwood cream). I would rate the scent as a 6/10. It's not bad by any means but it's not a soap that I would reach for during "random sniffing moments". I also found the scent to be way too subtle - entire nose-in-the-tub to catch a whiff and nearly non-existent when lathering. I will admit that this is a tub from the first production run from a year ago. Although sealed at all times when not in use, the scent could still have slowly dissipated.

I already have a replacement tub (due to IB's free shipping minimum), but I will not replace this particular soap when gone. A "very good" rating just does not make the cut these days when "excellent" products are everywhere.

I started this 80% tub on 06/18/2014 and it lasted 39 shaves (48 shaves total). This equates to ~2.15g of product used per shave.

As for my next victim, I am going to burn through some Stirling Soap samples and maybe a full puck depending on time - That should hopefully carry me to RazoRocktober.

11/14/13 - 01/05/14 --- Barrister & Mann Nocturne (30 shaves)
01/07/14 - 06/17/14 --- The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream (114 shaves)
06/18/14 - 07/30/14 --- RazoRock XX (48 shaves)
07/31/14 - 00/00/00 --- Stirling Soap Blu

My RazoRock XX white tub has officially bit the dust...A brief commentary and usage data points:

I would rate performance as an 8/10. Shaves and post-skin feel were really good but clearly behind my previous two 3017 products (B&M Nocturne and AoS Sandalwood cream). I would rate the scent as a 6/10. It's not bad by any means but it's not a soap that I would reach for during "random sniffing moments". I also found the scent to be way too subtle - entire nose-in-the-tub to catch a whiff and nearly non-existent when lathering. I will admit that this is a tub from the first production run from a year ago. Although sealed at all times when not in use, the scent could still have slowly dissipated.

I already have a replacement tub (due to IB's free shipping minimum), but I will not replace this particular soap when gone. A "very good" rating just does not make the cut these days when "excellent" products are everywhere.

I started this 80% tub on 06/18/2014 and it lasted 39 shaves (48 shaves total). This equates to ~2.15g of product used per shave.

As for my next victim, I am going to burn through some Stirling Soap samples and maybe a full puck depending on time - That should hopefully carry me to RazoRocktober.

01/07/14 - 06/17/14 --- The Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream (114 shaves)

Thanks for the review. I was going to say that that if you want a stronger scent, the XXX might be an option for next time. Not sure why I thought that, but I just went on to the IB website to check the descriptions of the soaps and now realize that I have no idea whatsoever what the differences or connections are between RR X, RR XX, and RR XXX.

RazoRock produces good soaps, but I must say that I get annoyed whenever trying to figure out what the difference is between one and the next.

Most of the RR soaps I have tried have been nearly scentless. I think the old tallow based soaps are great, I don't have enough experience with the new soaps to have an opinion.

Thanks for the review. I was going to say that that if you want a stronger scent, the XXX might be an option for next time. Not sure why I thought that, but I just went on to the IB website to check the descriptions of the soaps and now realize that I have no idea whatsoever what the differences or connections are between RR X, RR XX, and RR XXX.

RazoRock produces good soaps, but I must say that I get annoyed whenever trying to figure out what the difference is between one and the next.

I agree, I like RR products, but they are a bit random.

From a performance / formula perspective I believe the main difference between XX and XXX is that XX is made with Argan Oil and XXX is Tallow based similar to the Am Blend version I just 3017. I have a new jar of XX and was going to 3017 that right after the Am Blend so I could compare Argan vs. Tallow, but after a month of RR I am ready to try something else.

How long does Arko last. I have a stick mashed in a mug I want to use up so I can use the mug for other soaps but if it's something that's lasts months I'll just toss it.

speaking of comparing soap to soap with different bases, I just finished up a couple days of Tallow and Non-Tallow Stoppe samples.

I see absolutely ZERO difference in performance, slickness, cushion, ease of lathering or anything else shave related. I don't know why there is a $7-8 difference between the similar sized tubs of these soaps, but it makes no sense to me as there is clearly not that much difference in ingredients to justify the price and it's preying on the "tallow freaks" who think it makes a soap superior.

As for scents....London Morning was bearable but nothing I would actually want to shave with daily but Black Tie is offensive to me. It smells dusty, cheap sandalwoodish (like Proraso Red) and just plain old stinks. Baker Street on the other hand (up tomorrow) smells very pleasant.

Unless the "Shea Butter Special Editions) are out of this world, I won't be purchasing, trading for or acquiring any of these in the future.

How long does Arko last. I have a stick mashed in a mug I want to use up so I can use the mug for other soaps but if it's something that's lasts months I'll just toss it.
I load pretty heavy but got 5-6 weeks out of a stick last time I used one mashed into a bowl.

Most of the RR soaps I have tried have been nearly scentless. I think the old tallow based soaps are great, I don't have enough experience with the new soaps to have an opinion.

I have 8 or so RR soaps and I would classify the strength on most of as subtle/weak. I'll see how the scent opens up when they come up in the 3017 rotation. Now, SoZ and P160 smacked me in the face...and I liked it :)

I agree, I like RR products, but they are a bit random.

From a performance / formula perspective I believe the main difference between XX and XXX is that XX is made with Argan Oil and XXX is Tallow based similar to the Am Blend version I just 3017. I have a new jar of XX and was going to 3017 that right after the Am Blend so I could compare Argan vs. Tallow, but after a month of RR I am ready to try something else.

I am the same way. No matter how good/great/fantastic/perfect a soap performed, when it is done I am moving on to a different line.

speaking of comparing soap to soap with different bases, I just finished up a couple days of Tallow and Non-Tallow Stoppe samples.

I see absolutely ZERO difference in performance, slickness, cushion, ease of lathering or anything else shave related. I don't know why there is a $7-8 difference between the similar sized tubs of these soaps, but it makes no sense to me as there is clearly not that much difference in ingredients to justify the price and it's preying on the "tallow freaks" who think it makes a soap superior.

As for scents....London Morning was bearable but nothing I would actually want to shave with daily but Black Tie is offensive to me. It smells dusty, cheap sandalwoodish (like Proraso Red) and just plain old stinks. Baker Street on the other hand (up tomorrow) smells very pleasant.

Unless the "Shea Butter Special Editions) are out of this world, I won't be purchasing, trading for or acquiring any of these in the future.

Thanks for the quick (p)review, I always wondered about the performance differences of the Strop Shoppe line-up. I am swimming in excess product but I will keep this in mind when the urge to purchase new soaps comes up.

I have no idea whatsoever what the differences or connections are between RR X, RR XX, and RR XXX.

The main connection between these soaps are that they are all based on AdP scents. One X & XXXt are Tallow and the XX is Argan Oil based.

I am a big fan of RR soaps. I have gone through 5 so far this year, and plan on doing a few more before the end of the year. I find their scents just right for me. So far, my two favorites are XXXt & KotC Lime. They both had great scents with excellent performance.

By the way, in the Vender Section, Joe did say he was coming out with a special soap (with Fancy Shmancy) packaging) for RazoRocktober.

Top Bottom