What's new

My Guess... 3017

I know you spend a lot of time in the Clown House, Bruce, but I don't think I am alone in thinking that you are clawing your way onto the Rushmore of 3017'ers.

Perhaps a molehill on the Rushmore grounds....I'd take that.

In 3017 news, my ABCBA is giving me wonderful shaves. I've got it completely dialed in, just a bit leftover after my final application of lather on my face during clean up, no irritation, slick, creamy, moisturizing.

There have been a few days I've forgotten to apply a balm or AS and my face still feels great.

Perhaps a molehill on the Rushmore grounds....I'd take that.

In 3017 news, my ABCBA is giving me wonderful shaves. I've got it completely dialed in, just a bit leftover after my final application of lather on my face during clean up, no irritation, slick, creamy, moisturizing.

There have been a few days I've forgotten to apply a balm or AS and my face still feels great.

I would think that applying a balm during the Manitoba winter is as automatic as an Aussie applying sunscreen.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I'm guessing it was a crazy, unheard of idea on shaving forums at the time. It probably took a while before members realized there was genius in the madness.

I wonder what percentage of "active" B&B members 3017 their lather products to some extent....and all thanks to @johnniegold.

Historic thread.... Thanks to Johnniegold for the start

You should really thank Mrs. Gold. It was her words that inspired me when she looked at me and said:

"Keep collecting those shaving soaps and see what happens." :whistling:

She's adorable. :biggrin:

I'm very interested in load time.

Hey guys, sorry I'm slow to reply. It was a new jar. I loaded between 15 to 20 seconds every single time. What I call loading might be considered "enthusiastic" by some guys. I wasn't gentle, but I wasn't trying to kill it nor to babysit it. I am sure there are guys who can stretch it out well beyond a hundred shaves. It'll be fun to see other guys' results.

$photo.jpg

This is my puck of Haslinger Schafmilch. I have 28 shaves on it at this point. Great stuff, and not at all difficult to dial in. I still have a ways to go on this puck. I've started loading a little longer because I want to finish it. The funny thing is, I've been getting a little impatient to get back to my normal rotation (I have an ungodly number of soaps and a bunch of creams, too), but I've recently been toying with the idea of 3017ing some of my singletons, like my one tub of Tiki Bar. I've also been thinking of tackling Mystic Water (I have two pucks), so I can finally master that wonderful but frustrating soap.

This is a whole new thing. The genius of the 3017 approach is starting to manifest itself.

At the risk of artificially inflating the number of posts in this thread I would like to thank Parjay and Brucered for the suggestion of mooshing the thin ring of my RR classic into the center of the tub to promote better loading. In doing so I discovered that the tub has a little ring at the edge that is a bit lower than the center of the container making it much harder to get soap onto the brush. While I had the soap in one hand I put the container on the scales and saw it weighs 13g. Implying that I have 5g of soap left.

With a new sharp blade and my simpson #58 the lather was much nicer than I was getting trying to squish the brush into the corners! I did go a bit crazy and add too much water but I can fix that tomorrow. Not sure if it will be finished on Saturday or Sunday... Hopefully I wont' be kicked out of the MdC event for starting a day late.

Ruckin.

It is with sad results that I have had to end my 3017 journey early with the Cade soap, too many poor shaves to continue with it. I will save it for future attempts as I still have 1/2 a puck left.

Floris Elite: 7/7/2013 - 8-/15/2014
L'Occitane Cade: 8/16/2014 - 1/16/2015 (50% remaining)
AoS Sandalwood: 1/17/2015 - ???

Now that I smushed the last of my stick of Arko into a mug: it's been taking MUCH longer to get through that rubbing it right on my face.
I'm really less of a fan of ARko loading from a bowl than I was as a stick. It's marvelous as a stick but it's only, just, good in a bowl.

But more to the point: it's delaying me starting a tin of PdP. At this rate: PdP won't be 'til mid-Feb. ARGH! THE WAITING!!! (I don't like waste - even if it's only pennies worth of Arko)

At the risk of artificially inflating the number of posts in this thread I would like to thank Parjay and Brucered for the suggestion of mooshing the thin ring of my RR classic into the center of the tub to promote better loading. In doing so I discovered that the tub has a little ring at the edge that is a bit lower than the center of the container making it much harder to get soap onto the brush. While I had the soap in one hand I put the container on the scales and saw it weighs 13g. Implying that I have 5g of soap left.

With a new sharp blade and my simpson #58 the lather was much nicer than I was getting trying to squish the brush into the corners! I did go a bit crazy and add too much water but I can fix that tomorrow. Not sure if it will be finished on Saturday or Sunday... Hopefully I wont' be kicked out of the MdC event for starting a day late.

Ruckin.

We are all just here to help, Ruckin. I have learned enough in this thread to suggest that it should be required reading once a new wet shaver gets his or her feet wet.

There are lot of different ways to lather any given product, and the best lathering method for a given product may change with daily use. I think that most products offer a lot more than many will ever know, because they don't get an opportunity to get to know those products inside and out. This thread is littered with tales of gents "getting" a soap that they thought they could never get and also realizations that soaps that had a place in the rotation didn't really deserve that place at all.

Hopefully I wont' be kicked out of the MdC event for starting a day late.
Ruckin.
Yes, I think you will not be allowed, I'm sorry to say.

It's okay though, I'll take your place instead. It works our perfectly since I'm between soaps at the moment anyway. Just be sure to overnight the MdC to me so I can start on time.

I'll PM you my address.

Really, no thanks necessary. I'm happy to help!

Finished off the Maca Root today, last few shaves were really high quality and enjoyable. Now moving onto the TOBS Sandalwood Cream that is about 40% full I'd say. Looking forward to a sandalwood scent for February as the winter is apparently just starting in the UK...

TOBS Grapefruit Cream (end of tub) 1.i.15 - 10.i.15 [6 shaves]

Body Shop Maca Root Cream (end of tub) 11.i.15 - 29.i.15 [8 shaves]
TOBS Sandalwood Cream (40% left) 30.i.15 - ?

Broke though to the bottom of my tin of Mikes Rose and Cedarwood. 32 shaves so far (had some shaves on it before it joined the 3017 rotation). As usual with Mikes, all great shaves.

It is with sad results that I have had to end my 3017 journey early with the Cade soap, too many poor shaves to continue with it. I will save it for future attempts as I still have 1/2 a puck left.

Floris Elite: 7/7/2013 - 8-/15/2014
L'Occitane Cade: 8/16/2014 - 1/16/2015 (50% remaining)
AoS Sandalwood: 1/17/2015 - ???

Life's too short for bad lathers, brother!

I swear I can hear the soaps whimpering in the den when I break out the Caravela for the week.

The Mike's is close to the end. I was down to a half inch ring, at most, in the original tin, so I broke it up and pressed it into the bottom of my Seaforth mug to try to get at a little more surface area.

I'm thinking a week or two.

Top Bottom