What's new

My Guess... 3017

Went on vacation for a week in the Black Hills of SD and lathering was a challenge. I went from loading for about 10 seconds at home with soft water and having plenty of lather to loading for around 70 seconds to get barely acceptable lather out there.

Weight is 2.6oz after I re-shaped the soap to push it back to the middle. Averaged 2g/shave from the last weigh and 2.4g/shave overall.

Quick picture before re-shaping:
View attachment 475010
Which soap is that? Looks like you've been panning for precious metals!

I'm still trying to use up the GFT Rose. I just can't toss any leftover soap out!

Last edited:
Which soap is that? Looks like you've been panning for precious metals!

I'm still trying to use up the GFT Rose. I just can't toss any leftover soap out!

Stirling Frozen Tundra. I love the scent and performance is different than most others I've used but very good for me with the water at home. If I had the water from vacation I wouldn't use it though.

We didn't do any panning, did enough of that as a kid.

Those hard soaps can be the bane of every 3017er. Be patient, keep at it and enjoy every shave. You should be getting some great lathers from that Harris.

I have to admit, my lathers have been consistently great since I started trying to kill the thing. With a squirt of KMF they're fantastic. If I can't finish the DRH by the end of the month, at least I can 3017 two products at once!

3017 strikes again. A couple weeks of so-so lather, then 5 consecutive shaves with the I coliniali has me happier than can be. I think I over thought the add more water for straight razor shaves thing and just got back to loading it like I hate it.

I spent a couple weeks with Razorock XXX. The performance was good in terms of slickness, but it didn't build up a great lather. Wet and dense or wet and runny depending on the water. Very similar to Stirling soap, but easier to use. Surprising because I seemed to remember Razorock being a bit closer to Cella in terms of being a voluminous soap.

I switched over to kill off some Arko (in a bowl) that was nearly done and broke through last week. This morning, I used it and it smelled really off, like it had lost the citronella scent and instead was musty. I'll be dumping the weeks worth of shaves and calling it.

Lasted a surprisingly long time. I could probably get two months of shaves out of a stick. The performance is very good (not amazing) and the scent is bright and clean. Excellent value.

Last edited:
I spent a couple weeks with Razorock XXX. The performance was good in terms of slickness, but it didn't build up a great lather. Wet and dense or wet and runny depending on the water. Very similar to Stirling soap, but easier to use. Surprising because I seemed to remember Razorock being a bit closer to Cella in terms of being a voluminous soap.

I switched over to kill off some Arko (in a bowl) that was nearly done and broke through last week. This morning, I used it and it smelled really off, like it had lost the citronella scent and instead was musty. I'll be dumping the weeks worth of shaves and calling it.

Lasted a surprisingly long time. I could probably get two months of shaves out of a stick. The performance is very good (not amazing) and the scent is bright and clean. Excellent value.

Is this the new formula of XXX? The artisan tallow based soaps are a made with a new formula, that could account for the different lather.

strop

Now half as wise
You are a trooper! I gave up on PdP after several rough shaves.

I came very close to that. Had it not been for 2 weeks of travel shaves in the middle of that, using Palmolive and some T&H cream samples, I probably would have. Much better now, though. This is really the first soap that brush selection seems to really make a difference for me.

The GFT Rose is now gone. About 2 1/2 months of really nice shaves. Think I'm stepping up a notch with the next puck!

Last edited:
FInished off my WSP sample. Fantastic product and eagerly await its official release.

Decided to not use Mystic Water or Panna Crema:

$14542671317_68b06094ff_b.jpg

---- BMiLCS 3017 Journey ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07.23.2014 - 00.00.0000 : Calani Dubai
07.20.2014 - 07.23.2014 : *WSP Soap Test Sample (Beta)
07.18.2014 - 07.20.2014 : *Barrister & Mann Vetiver, Heather, Clary Sage
07.10.2014 - 07.18.2014 : *Proraso Green Cream
06.11.2014 - 07.10.2014 : BSBC Italian Patchouli & Bergamot
05.12.2014 - 06.11.2014 : AoS Tallow - Lemon
04.24.2014 - 05.12.2014 : Mike's Natural Soaps - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper

Note: * = substantial previous use / sample / very little left
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Bottom