What's new

My Guess... 3017

I gave up with the Horse brush early in my MWF quest. I've switched to my current favorite... a Made Right 22mm TGN Restoration that looks ugly but gets the job done. My 2 weekend shaves were appreciably better with the MWF than with the horse. It still requires a LOT of work, though. I noticed after loading for about 45 seconds last night and applying to my face, I dipped the brush in water, then went back to load. I got some much thicker, creamier lather. Please, no one diagram that previous sentence.

That Vie-Long handle is one of my favorites. How do you like the natural horse knot in it? I have the white horse version.
Bob, I enjoy the horsehair quite a bit. My only other references are a couple of Omega boars and the V-L Lord Randal mixed hair knot. The natural horse hair seems to hold a bit more water than any of the others and maintains a bit more backbone. I think it is as soft as either of my well broken in boar brushes. I primarily face lather with it.

Went on vacation for a week in the Black Hills of SD and lathering was a challenge. I went from loading for about 10 seconds at home with soft water and having plenty of lather to loading for around 70 seconds to get barely acceptable lather out there.

Weight is 2.6oz after I re-shaped the soap to push it back to the middle. Averaged 2g/shave from the last weigh and 2.4g/shave overall.

Quick picture before re-shaping:
$IMAG0828.jpg

An out of the blue absolutely horrible shave today using Vostok. I'm about 3 weeks in and so far its been stellar but today -- yuck. I changed 2 things. I used a chubby 2 best for the first time with the soap. Sometimes it hold more water than I'm used to with my other brushes making for lather soup until I adjust. Also, my proraso green pre shave expired this weekend so I broke out the HTGAM butter balm stuff that's in a twist up container. It says right on the label to palm or bowl lather. I face lather. Maybe that's it. I didnt notice those directions until after the shave. If the chubby 2 works well tomorrow I'll know its that pre shave balm stuff and that will have to be pif'ed or used as an aftershave.

strop

Now half as wise
It's taken 3 weeks of shaves with the Pre de Provence to get things dialed in. Seems to take a little more soap than I've been used to. Loks like it's still going to take me a while to get thru this 150g tin, though.

Brothers I lost the way. I seem to fall into the routine of killing a soap and then dabbling with a variety of soaps before choosing my next victim. My nose likes it, but my face has politely asked that I get back into the 3017 way of life. I started up a used puck of i coloniali this weekend, and i am going to see it through. Not sure on the current mass, I am guessing about 60 grams, but I will update when I get it on the scale.

Bob, I enjoy the horsehair quite a bit. My only other references are a couple of Omega boars and the V-L Lord Randal mixed hair knot. The natural horse hair seems to hold a bit more water than any of the others and maintains a bit more backbone. I think it is as soft as either of my well broken in boar brushes. I primarily face lather with it.

I have 2 horses and haven't used them nearly enough to get the hang of them yet. The other is the BG Beehive from VL in Natural Horse. Once I finish the Captain, I should break them out for some extended use.

Brothers I lost the way. I seem to fall into the routine of killing a soap and then dabbling with a variety of soaps before choosing my next victim. My nose likes it, but my face has politely asked that I get back into the 3017 way of life. I started up a used puck of i coloniali this weekend, and i am going to see it through. Not sure on the current mass, I am guessing about 60 grams, but I will update when I get it on the scale.

Dally away! It's soap, not a wife. :biggrin:

It's taken 3 weeks of shaves with the Pre de Provence to get things dialed in. Seems to take a little more soap than I've been used to. Loks like it's still going to take me a while to get thru this 150g tin, though.

I seem to remember it taking Bob a good while to dial it in at first as well, Mark. Bruce seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly, though.

I have 2 horses and haven't used them nearly enough to get the hang of them yet. The other is the BG Beehive from VL in Natural Horse. Once I finish the Captain, I should break them out for some extended use.

Context, context, context. I was utterly confused by your use of horses until I realized you were talking about brushes! Sometimes I gloss over the quoted section just assuming that I will remember the earlier post!

Dally away! It's soap, not a wife. :biggrin:

This is completely true, until those dalliances result in mediocre lather and mediocre shaves :)

Also I see a lot if mention of g/shave and whether it's normal or not. Is there some sort of values you have found to be consistent? Like most average 2g/shave? I want to see how much I am using and compare since I am fairly new to make sure I am loading the right amount. Thanks.

I mainly track my grams/use for fun. I don't worry if I am using 2g or 5g, so long as my shaves are good.

For me, I can compare my own soap usage and can gauge how much I should be using with my water and larger methods. For instance, I got 28 days from Haslinger and others got 60, but the variables are too many to say if either of us were using too much or too little.

Still working on RR American Blend. I was traveling a couple days and just brought along a travel sized tube of Institute Karite cream. I've used IK soap before but never cream. What a disappointment, it isnt horrible, just not on par with the soap version. I would give the cream a solid C. I won't get it again.

I am 27 shaves into the RR AB and probably have 15-20 left. Its lasting longer than I expected. The new tallow formula is great and I am going to miss this when its gone. As far as the American Blend scent is concerned, its almost completely gone now. I really only smell soap. Which is fine, I don't mind it. First several shaves I picked up a mild menthol kick, that is gone as well. I guess what I'm saying is I love the new tallow formula and certainly wouldnt turn down a chance to purchase AB flavor again, but if given the choice I would grab XXX, Freedburg, etc instead.

Sometimes I use a soap up and sometimes I like to use a soap for several weeks before moving on. I've been doing some testing with one or one half once soap samples and that seems to be a perfect size, I can use them up before I get bored with them.

You are a trooper! I gave up on PdP after several rough shaves.

A while ago I posted in this thread that I was going to try to use up the remainder of a puck of DRH by the end of the month. Sadly that looks to be impossible. I have made an effort to load as aggressively as I can, that's giving visible results, but the dang thing still won't die. Done by the end of August...I hope.

A while ago I posted in this thread that I was going to try to use up the remainder of a puck of DRH by the end of the month. Sadly that looks to be impossible. I have made an effort to load as aggressively as I can, that's giving visible results, but the dang thing still won't die. Done by the end of August...I hope.

Those hard soaps can be the bane of every 3017er. Be patient, keep at it and enjoy every shave. You should be getting some great lathers from that Harris.

My TOBS Rose cream is almost dead. I don't think it will see the end of the week. No complaints about the performance of this cream and the scent is nice.

Killed the scraps of my Barrister & Mann Vetiver puck over the weekend. On Sunday, I started using a sample of WSP soap. Very positive results with this product so far :)

On Saturday, I visited Pasteur's and picked up a puck of Haslinger's Lanolin puck. Thanks 3017'ers :)

Help me choose my next victim (killing my doubles first)
- Panna Crema Lavandato
- Mystic Water Adirondack Jack

---- BMiLCS 3017 Journey ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07.20.2014 - 07.XX.2014 : *WSP Soap Test Sample (Beta)
07.18.2014 - 07.20.2014 : *Barrister & Mann Vetiver, Heather, Clary Sage
07.10.2014 - 07.18.2014 : *Proraso Green Cream
06.11.2014 - 07.10.2014 : BSBC Italian Patchouli & Bergamot
05.12.2014 - 06.11.2014 : AoS Tallow - Lemon
04.24.2014 - 05.12.2014 : Mike's Natural Soaps - Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper

Note: * = substantial previous use / sample / very little left
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help me choose my next victim (killing my doubles first)
- Panna Crema Lavandato
- Mystic Water Adirondack Jack

I've used them both. Personally, I think of the Adirondack Jack as more of a fall/winter scent. I'd use the Panna Crema first. They are both great soaps though and you can't go wrong with either.

I had 2 shaves off from the QCS Iced Key Lime. Dallied with RR160 and MW Bay Rum since I was bored stiff with the IKL.
Today I really loaded up on it and produced a superb lather with a VL horsey. Lathers before were good, this one was spot on, and I quite enjoyed the lime again.
Trying to finish it off within 2 weeks.

An out of the blue absolutely horrible shave today using Vostok. ...my proraso green pre shave expired this weekend so I broke out the HTGAM butter balm stuff that's in a twist up container. It says right on the label to palm or bowl lather. I face lather. Maybe that's it. ...

That was it. That HTGAM pre shave in the twist up + face lathering is a no go in my world. I'm not feeling bowl lathering with the Vostok so I got out my container of Vitos and that'll keep the menthol theme alive for the Vostok shaves. Lather is back to spectacular. I have used the HTGAM balm stick thing after my workout shower just as a general face moisturizer and for the menthol cool down (I got the mentholated version) for the last 2 days. I'm digging it for that. I'll keep it in the gym bag for now. It feels very nourishing.

On a side note -- if my chubby 2 keeps shedding like it does, it'll last through about Christmas and that's it. It's losing 10-ish hairs every shave. That sucks.

Top Bottom