What's new

My Guess... 3017

I just test lathered MW using my Plisson Cade brush. The lather was to make.
I had no touble making the lather for a few shaves and it even looked and shaved well. It just took some rehydration on cheeks and moustache area before the pass was complete.

Let us know how it works out during the shave. I'm rooting for you as it really is a great performing soap if you get it dialed in.

I had no touble making the lather for a few shaves and it even looked and shaved well. It just took some rehydration on cheeks and moustache area before the pass was complete.

Let us know how it works out during the shave. I'm rooting for you as it really is a great performing soap if you get it dialed in.

Thanks, you know I've had lots of trouble with MW in the past. I've never has lather as good as I had today without resorting to a superlather. I hope it shaves as good as it looks.

What scent do you have, Shawn?

I have three, Rosalimone, Lilac, and Mysore Sandalwood. All three are samples. I've ordered full sized pucks from Mystic Water twice and couldn't get decent lather without resorting to a super lather both times. I was always impressed with the post shave feel of MW soaps, I think they are some of the most moisturizing soaps I've ever used, I could skip AS with MW soap. The Plisson synthetic brush has been amazing, it is my problem solver brush and I hope it doesn't fail me this time. The test lather I got tonight was stable and slick and very moisturizing, it was the best lather I've ever had with MW without super lathering and it took a few minutes from start to finish.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have three, Rosalimone, Lilac, and Mysore Sandalwood. All three are samples. I've ordered full sized pucks from Mystic Water twice and couldn't get decent lather without resorting to a super lather both times. I was always impressed with the post shave feel of MW soaps, I think they are some of the most moisturizing soaps I've ever used, I could skip AS with MW soap. The Plisson synthetic brush has been amazing, it is my problem solver brush and I hope it doesn't fail me this time. The test lather I got tonight was stable and slick and very moisturizing, it was the best lather I've ever had with MW without super lathering and it took a few minutes from start to finish.

Yep, same deal here. I have the Mysore Sandalwood as well. Very good and strong scent. I had to resort to very little water in the brush and face lather. I'm getting better at it, and I'm now to the point of a nice yogurt like paste. I'll add water as needed.

Yep, as I get more into this "traditional shaving" adventure the post-shave feel is one of the most important aspects. For me anyway

Continuing with the Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique. Was using a B&B essential boar for bowl lathering and it worked very well. Switched to a SOC boar and face lathering using the Marco method for loading and this is working great but eating through a lot of soap. I am enjoying the fresh "green" scent. For me the vegan version of this soap doesn't have quite as good of a post shave feel as the tallow version, but is still quite good.

Yep, as I get more into this "traditional shaving" adventure the post-shave feel is one of the most important aspects. For me anyway

I agree. Giving a soap the 3017 treatment also really reveals how well the post shave care from a soap is. Sometimes, a good performing soap can be hidden in the pack when also using multiple different other soaps during the week. But, when shaving with the same soap daily, the cumulative effect that the soap has post shave becomes much easier to notice.

This is one of the problems I had with Modern Williams. On a once in a while shave the performance from modern Williams seems just fine, but when using that soap day after day it becomes evident just how drying it is. My face was pretty unhappy after I went through the whole puck. On the other hand, every time I shave with Valobra, I feel like my face is getting in better and better shape.

I'd even go 1 step further regarding the 3017 treatment -- once you get it dialed in, not only is the cumulative effect of the soap benefitting you (assuming it's a quality soap) but just getting a great shave is benefiting you. Each shave is actually easier because the shave before was so close. My skin is 100% improved since I started this process because I quickly get a soap/cream dialed in and then have a month or 2 of great shaves. Each shave benefits from the 1 before it so there's WAY less trauma on the mug. I can really pick up on that when I switch products and have a week or 2 of adjustment in figuring the product out.

I have (guessing) less than a half dozen shaves on the Vostok soap. I'll post my final thoughts when I'm done but I'll just say that I'm using my best cream brush right now (SR 3824) to savor the soap rather than a soap gobbler (chubby 2) trying anything to just kill the thing.

Also, I'm a nomad for Sept. I'm living with relatives for the month so I have to pack up a travel kit. I'm tossing in a Simpson's Case brush and my PILS razor and then I'm either going to 3017 my first shave stick or I'm going to 3017 a travel size 2oz. AoS cream. Can't really decide. For you 3017ers -- how long does a stick last? I have 1 of just about everything so if I grabbed a speick stick or volabra or HTGAM in the twist up tube, how long would I expect that to last? I'm considering the HTGAM because it's the frost byte and I'm interested in comparing to the Vostok I'm finishing up but I don't want to go into October using a crazy menthol soap.

I agree. Giving a soap the 3017 treatment also really reveals how well the post shave care from a soap is. Sometimes, a good performing soap can be hidden in the pack when also using multiple different other soaps during the week. But, when shaving with the same soap daily, the cumulative effect that the soap has post shave becomes much easier to notice.

This is one of the problems I had with Modern Williams. On a once in a while shave the performance from modern Williams seems just fine, but when using that soap day after day it becomes evident just how drying it is. My face was pretty unhappy after I went through the whole puck. On the other hand, every time I shave with Valobra, I feel like my face is getting in better and better shape.

I'm having trouble sticking with the same soap for awhile never mind until it's gone. I go about a week and then want variety. Anyone else?

I am that way too. I just decided to make a commitment to do this to see how I liked the process.

I find that the wanting to use a different soap faded a couple weeks in but is now returning as I'm nearing the end of the soap I've been using.

I'm having trouble sticking with the same soap for awhile never mind until it's gone. I go about a week and then want variety. Anyone else?

I am that way too. I just decided to make a commitment to do this to see how I liked the process.

I find that the wanting to use a different soap faded a couple weeks in but is now returning as I'm nearing the end of the soap I've been using.

I get a little antsy when I break through the soap and see the actual bottom of the container. I stick with it but it starts the thoughts of "What's next?". I look at 3017 as a way to obtain the best performance from a soap...sort of like a challenge. Another time of temptation is when I get the lather and shaves dialed-in for a few weeks in a row and I hit the cruise control button. I start to think that I have "conquered" this puck and it's time to move on.

I may do a modified 3017 with Soft Italian Soaps next year. They seem to last about 30-40 shaves for me, so ws thinking of lining up 12 soaps and doing a month with each. The reason being, I have a lot of soft soaps on hand.

At the end of the month, I'd just move on to the next one, regarldess of whether a few shaves were left. I could just take the remainded and put it in the soap remnant jar and mix them all up and use it down the road.

I have one shave left on the QCS IKL. Probably enough to last Sam a week and a half, but it will be dead tonight.
I resorted to the SOC as a soap killer, heavy rinsing of excess soap, excess lathering and soaking.
Still getting great lathers, but enough's enough.

RR Freedburg is going great. I'm breaking in a Semogue Cerda which is shaping up to be my best soap destroyer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom