What's new

My Guess... 3017

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I think brucered holds the record for fastest on all creams and soaps! I think he nibbles on them while the rest of the family sleeps.

This thread is awesome. It has really sucked me in and I've read through page 54 so far. Someone said it was better than TV and I must agree. Anyway, I noticed the following soaps keep popping up as high performers and/or repurchase candidates: DR Harris Arlington & Marlborough, Tabac, Speick stick, MWF, AoS and Haslinger. Is there a Haslinger scent that is definitely better than the others, or do all the scents perform the same? I did search the thread but didn't see a consensus.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
This thread is awesome. It has really sucked me in and I've read through page 54 so far. Someone said it was better than TV and I must agree. Anyway, I noticed the following soaps keep popping up as high performers and/or repurchase candidates: DR Harris Arlington & Marlborough, Tabac, Speick stick, MWF, AoS and Haslinger. Is there a Haslinger scent that is definitely better than the others, or do all the scents perform the same? I did search the thread but didn't see a consensus.

After years in this thread, I am finally about to the Haslinger Schafmilch soap based upon the recommendations here. I believe the Sage gets pretty high marks as well.

And welcome aboard. :thumbup1:

As JG mentions, the Haslinger Schafmilch gets high marks- and for good reason. It is a phenomenal soap. The scent favors that of hotel bar soap, but the performance is spectacular.

This thread is awesome. It has really sucked me in and I've read through page 54 so far. Someone said it was better than TV and I must agree.
I read this thread from page one early this year. It's funny, when you read it that way, soaps are dropping every fifteen minutes, then when you get caught up and read in real time you go through a time warp and soaps take a long time to kill.

This thread is awesome. It has really sucked me in and I've read through page 54 so far. Someone said it was better than TV and I must agree.

Maybe this thread should be re-titled to a soap opera "As the brush turns"... Tune in tomorrow when Jim gets out the turbo soap killing brush to dominate that puck and Bruce says "load it like you hate it"...[cue music and mention the sponsor here]....

I have a puck of Haslinger in the cue for this winter. Probably right after the first of the year. I have a couple holiday themed soaps I want to use up first, then I'm going to shepard the little lamb thru my fields of whiskers.

Haslinger Schafmilch is an amazing soap and one I wish I had tried earlier.

It is ultra slick, easy to lather and the scent is mild and non-offensive.

The only thing keeping it from being the perfect soap is the scent is just kind of soapy neutral or "meh" and it can't take scuttle heat, which is a bonus for soaps up here in Canada.

I have a puck of Coconut is my soap box which smells amazing. My only hope is the performance is up there with the lanolin one.

Last edited:
To he fair, the last two soaps I have 3017'd or are using, RR P.160 and Vitos Super Extra, aren't too shabby.

The lathers are just as creamy, just as easy to reach and have better scents and hold up to heat. They may lack a bit in post shave feel and slickness, but not by much and not enough for me to even remember by how much. Its likely more in my head and from being influenced by knowing there was lanolin in the Haslinger.

I think many people here are forum, brand and ingredient influenced and probably couldn't tell the difference between many of these top tier products if challenged in a blind shave test. Many of us could, but the ones who are jumping from soap to soap in rotation and not 3017ing them, likely couldn't. Heck, I have a hard time remembering Haslinger and how it directly compared to the Vitos I am currently using.

Here is my Vitos after loading today for 30sec...there was more in the brush scuttle too.

Not staged, actual shave ready and used lather. Very creamy and slick.

$uploadfromtaptalk1409407797536.jpg
(Yes, that is a Simpson Best I am using)

No music, no sponsors and I actually subscribe to a different philosphy then the "load it like you hate it" group.

If I hate a soap or product, I don't even use it or trash it and won't use it again. For me if a product works or I enjoy it, be it food, hot sauce or soap... I tend to follow the " use more product" mentality. Use it up, enjoy it, then buy more or move on to another. It's cheap and made to be used, so use it up and buy more.

I never want to be heard, seen or quoted as posting about having a bad shave because of the lack of loading a product or not being able to lather it.

That ends my sermon for the morning.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
After 215 shaves, starting non-stop from Feb.01, my D.R. Harris Arlington puck (courtesy of brucered's PIF) has finally come to an end. For those mathematically inclined, there are a few 2-a-days in there and 0 missed ones.

I thought I had enough left to shave today, but I was mistaken. Once my brush loaded up every drib of soap from the wooden bowl, I couldn't even see anything on my face when I started to try to build lather.
proxy.php

My evaluation
This is a GREAT smelling puck, which just seemed to go on and on and on and.... well you get the idea! 215 shaves and almost exactly 7 months is a super long time for any puck to last, unless you count a kilo of Cella or P.160 as "a puck." :tongue_sm Shavewise, when using my straights, I found that my skin was almost left dry in the wake of my blade, but no such issue when used with my DE. I don't know why, maybe the DE (a Slim) holds some water in its head when rinsed?

I have to say a BIG "Thank You!" to brucered for the PIF so many, many moons ago.
I WILL try another Harris puck in 7-8 years when I have gone through my current stockpile, but for now, it is back to the Klar Kabinett once again!

Next up....... the remnants of my Klar!
proxy.php

Log
???????- Oct.14.2012.....Col.Conk Amber (small puck)
Oct.15 - Dec.19.2012.....VDH Deluxe
Dec.20 - Jan.07.2013.....Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (partial tub)..... Wowwee!!!!
Jan.08 - Mar.06.2013.....C&E Sienna cream
Mar.07 - Mar.28.2013.....Mama Bear's Aged Spice (mug soap; they're so tiny, they're cute!)
Mar.29 - May.25.2013.....Palmolive Classica Naturale cream
May.26 - Jun.22.2013.....Proraso Green tube (partial tube, old formula)
Jun.23 - Sep.27.2013.....TOBS Sandalwood cream (I love sandalwood products)
Sep.28 - Nov.02.2013.....Mama Bear's Northwoods (partial puck)
Nov.03 - Dec.14.2013.....Mama Bear's Amber Romance (partial puck)
Dec.15 - Jan.31.2014.....Klar Kabinett (last 3/4" of my stock)**** suspended to honour terms of winning 3017ing brucered's D.R.Harris PIF
Feb.01 - Aug.29.2014.....D.R. Harris Arlington ........ Nope, no typo on those dates folks! 215 shave from that puck
Aug.30 - ..........2014.....Klar Kabinett (back in use after the Arlington finished)

Last edited:
Killed a puck of Arlington, did ya? I'm in the same boat - fantastic soap, but I'm several years away from replacing it.
I dreamt this morning that I broke through the bottom of my AOS tallow. I spend too much time in this thread!

Wow. I always thought Harris was kind of pricey but if it lasts that long, it's actually pretty cheap. 200+ uses puts it into the same shaves-per-dollar group as Arko and way ahead of other inexpensive soaps like Stirling and RazoRock.

The puck of Nomad that I've been working on is now a stick. It broke loose from the bowl and won't reattach, so I stuffed it into an empty deodorant container. It's been used 61 times now and I'm guessing it'll be gone by late September.

As of today, I've got 29 shaves so far on a large tub of Proraso green soap, and it looks like it should have another two or three weeks left. I load on the soap for about 15 seconds.

It blows me away to see you guys getting in excess of 200 shaves from your hard soaps. Last year, I went through an entire puck of DRH Marlborough soap in about 31 days or so. I wasn't trying to conserve it, I have hard water, and it turned out the DRH wouldn't give me a good lather unless I loaded about a minute on the soap.

Top Bottom