What's new

Scuttle Wars (lots of pictures)

So, I have a bit of scuttle AD and last night I received my Dirty Bird 1.5X. I already have a large Moss and a Georgetown G5. I thought I would post my impressions here for anyone who is thinking of purchasing one. First, a picture of all 3. From left to right, they are the G5, the Moss and the Dirtybird.

proxy.php

Let me get some stats out of the way. G5 weighs 1lb, 14oz, Moss weighs 1lb, 12 oz and the DB weighs 2lb, 8oz. The outer reservoirs hold the follow amounts of water - G5 6oz, Moss 12oz and the DB 18 oz. I boiled water and filled each one and then measured the temps at 3 minute intervals for 12 minutes. Rather than bore you with each data point, let me just say that at the first measurement the G5 was at 142 degrees and the Moss and DB were both at 169 degrees. At the end of 12 minutes, the G5 was at 118 degrees, the Moss was at 145 degrees and the DB was at 149 degrees.

This mirrors my experience with them. The Moss and DB do a much better job of keeping lather warm for longer periods. I find the G5 only keeps things moderately warm on the first pass and then goes lukewarm pretty fast. The other two keep things plenty warm for my usual 3 pass shave.

As far as lathering ability, I would have to give the edge to the DB. The grove pattern in it seems to help produce the best lather. Here are some pictures. G5, Moss and then the DB.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

From a size perspective, the DB is massive compared to the other two. I feel the G5 is a little small for lathering, the Moss is just about right and the DB for the brushes I use is almost too big. As I was making lathering and hitting the bottom of the DB bowl, the lather was coming over the top of the handle onto my fingers. All my brushes are roughly the size of a Rooney 3/1. Here are pictures of the scuttles with the 3/1 sitting in it.
G5, Moss, DB again.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The size of the DB is going to give me an excuse to pick up a Rooney 3/2 to see how I like that in the DB. :thumbup:

If Richmondesi reads this post, you had predicted in an earlier scuttle thread that you thought the Moss would be my number 1 pick. I think you are probably right, but it is a close call between that and the DB with the G5 at the back of the pack.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like things about all 3 but the Moss has a slight edge in my opinion. The G5 probably looks the nicest and most well finished, but I use scuttles primarily for warm lather and I think that one does only a mediocre job in that regard. For those gents who like large brushes and bowl lathering, I would highly recommend the DB.

Hope that helps.

Great analysis. Thanks for doing all of the work for us. I've owned the G5 for about a month now and am happy with it but may have changed my mind after reading your post. Good info moving forward.

Thanks for the comparison. Its been a while since the first "big 3" comparison, and they've all been updated since then. I think a scuttle purchase is one of the more difficult purchases to decide on. I'm guessing that this will help quite a few (myself included!).

Just curious, but have you tried the DB 1x scuttle? It seems like it would be about the same capacity of the Moss. Just wondering how they would compare against each other.

Thanks for your detailed review. I have Julie's DB shaving mug and love it, wondering if she could make one with an interior spiral pattern like her scuttle.
What a lather monster that might be.

I know I don't have a lot of experience with a scuttle, seeing as how my Bonnyman moss only arrived yesterday, but I was floored by how long my lather remained warm. I take a longer time than most due to the coarseness and hair direction but, yeah, I'm impressed.

After reading this great comparison, I'm not really surprised to see a moss at -- or near -- the top, in terms of heat retention.

Just curious, but have you tried the DB 1x scuttle? It seems like it would be about the same capacity of the Moss. Just wondering how they would compare against each other.

I was wondering about this too. Also, a big thank you. I have been wanting a scuttle for about as long as I have been wet shaving. I just couldn't decide on which one to get. This has been a big help.

Thanks for the comparison. Its been a while since the first "big 3" comparison, and they've all been updated since then. I think a scuttle purchase is one of the more difficult purchases to decide on. I'm guessing that this will help quite a few (myself included!).

No, that's one I don't have but I agree that it would probably be very similar to the Moss.

I was wondering about this too. Also, a big thank you. I have been wanting a scuttle for about as long as I have been wet shaving. I just couldn't decide on which one to get. This has been a big help.

My pleasure. Glad I could help.

Thanks for the time put into providing all this feedback. I have a 1.5 DB on order and can't wait. I'm still curious about the others though because these would make a great gift. TBH, I think the SWMBO's of the world would prefer the G5.

Anyway, ever thought of taking the temps of the working end of things? It may just affirm what you've already seen, but I'm curious about what the lather temperature is. Are any of these better at getting heat into the lather? I saw a post from years ago where someone suggested using copper as the interior (lather) bowl because of the heat transfer improvement of a metal over ceramic. If the water stays hot, but the lather isn't warming as well, that would be good to know. Does lather insulate or conduct? I guess I'll find this out when mine arrives, but my lifelong training starts asking other questions.

But again, thanks for all the information you have provided.

Thanks for the time put into providing all this feedback. I have a 1.5 DB on order and can't wait. I'm still curious about the others though because these would make a great gift. TBH, I think the SWMBO's of the world would prefer the G5.

Anyway, ever thought of taking the temps of the working end of things? It may just affirm what you've already seen, but I'm curious about what the lather temperature is. Are any of these better at getting heat into the lather? I saw a post from years ago where someone suggested using copper as the interior (lather) bowl because of the heat transfer improvement of a metal over ceramic. If the water stays hot, but the lather isn't warming as well, that would be good to know. Does lather insulate or conduct? I guess I'll find this out when mine arrives, but my lifelong training starts asking other questions.

But again, thanks for all the information you have provided.

I actually had thought of that. Maybe this weekend I'll whip up some lather in each one and measure the temps. Great suggestion.

So, I have a bit of scuttle AD and last night I received my Dirty Bird 1.5X. I already have a large Moss and a Georgetown G5. I thought I would post my impressions here for anyone who is thinking of purchasing one. First, a picture of all 3. From left to right, they are the G5, the Moss and the Dirtybird.

John,

Very nice post. Thanks for the info.

Any chance you can provide measurements of the bowl openings and bowl depths for the three scuttles?

Also, how difficult is it to make lather in the large Moss? I'm actually considering either the regular or the 1.5x Dirty Bird (I use about the same size brushes as you do), and the large Moss may be about the same bowl size (hence my above request for dimensions). The 1.5x DB looks to be (almost) too large.

Thanks in advance.

John,

Very nice post. Thanks for the info.

Any chance you can provide measurements of the bowl openings and bowl depths for the three scuttles?

Also, how difficult is it to make lather in the large Moss? I'm actually considering either the regular or the 1.5x Dirty Bird (I use about the same size brushes as you do), and the large Moss may be about the same bowl size (hence my above request for dimensions). The 1.5x DB looks to be (almost) too large.

Thanks in advance.

I'll measure this weekend and post.

It is fairly easy to bowl lather in the Moss, I just wish the grooves were more pronounced. This seems to be what helps and the Moss is a bit slick.

I would agree the 1.5X DB is a little big for the size brushes I use. I just ordered a Rooney 3/2 because I "need" it for the DB. :lol:

Excellent work John, very informative. I own a DB Brush Scuttle and would like to add Julie is so great to do business with. Awesome customer service.

Top Bottom