What's new

Seaforth Shaving Mug

Don't know too much about Seaforth. I have a buddy who has started wet shaving and is pretty proud of his Scots heritage, so it seemed like a natural gift.

proxy.php

There are even directions on the back.

proxy.php

It seems pretty deep and a little narrow compared to the trusty Old Spice mug, but I'm thinking I may have to have one of these one day.

Looks like they had a pretty typical ad campaign for those days!

proxy.php

That "musty" soap would probably pop back to life if you just washed some of the top layer off.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Seaforth mugs are nice. I have one like the one shown above as well as another with green lettering. See it compared to an Old Spice mug.

Last edited:
I don't know too much about Seaforth either. I know that they had a line of at least 3 different scents of aftershave from the 60's up to the early 80's. They were drug store scents and on the same shelf as Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Mennen, etc.. I know I tried it at one time. I must have thought it was ok, but not great, since I don't remember hating it but I didn't buy it again. I liked Mennen Skin Bracer then.

They also sold a shave soap and cream but I don't remember seeing it after the 60's. I never tried it since I used Noxzema shave cream at the time and was quite happy with it (no AD's then :001_tt2:).

- Peter

Great Seaforth stuff! I wonder what that scent was like? How long was the product line around? I think they got bought out in the early 80's.

Also wonder what the scent was like. It would be very interesting if someone could "clone" these old, long gone aftershave scents.

I just acquired one of those mugs and milled a puck of L'Occitane Cade into it and I love it (the mug and the soap). I should also note that it fits a puck of Edwin Jagger soap perfectly without milling.

Also wonder what the scent was like. It would be very interesting if someone could "clone" these old, long gone aftershave scents.

From sniffing my empties my best description is that Seaforth, Heather and Fern at least, smells like a lighter, more fern version of Old Spice.

Once I told my man Rorschuck that I thought Pen's Racquets smelled like Old Spice and Fern. Having just gone in smelled both, the Seaforth and the Pen's are quite similar to me--the Seaforth, obviously, has less fern, though.

Did a little research. Seaforth Men's Toiletries was the brand name of the Alfred D. McKelvey Co. founded in 1939. Alfred D. McKelvey was of Scots origin, born and raised in Manhattan. It was the first North American company to mass market (advertise) men's toiletries.
It was so successful that the Vick Chemical Co. (Vicks Vaporub) purchased Seaforth for big dollars in 1942.

Vick Chemical placed Seaforth under the umbrella of their Prince Matchabelli perfume division.

The Prince Matchabelli division (including Seaforth) was sold to Cheseborough-Ponds in 1958.

Unilever Corporation acquired Cheseborough-Ponds in 1987 and did away with many of the old lines, including Seaforth.

- Peter

I have a Seaforth mug my parents gave me for my last birthday, and I really enjoy it. I use it to soak my brush. It seems a little small for loading a brush with soap, unless one just spins the brush on the soap (?).

-Andy

I have a Seaforth mug my parents gave me for my last birthday, and I really enjoy it. I use it to soak my brush. It seems a little small for loading a brush with soap, unless one just spins the brush on the soap (?).

-Andy

andrew98, I agree with you. I've received just today a Seaforth mug from USA and It's so little. Do someone knows some soap refill that fit properly? :confused1

andrew98, I agree with you. I've received just today a Seaforth mug from USA and It's so little. Do someone knows some soap refill that fit properly? :confused1

A puck of Williams would probably fit :biggrin1:.
Maybe the Edwin Jagger/ Muhle soaps.
Valobra can be moulded to fit. It's like dough.
You could probably mill any hard soap into it.

I think Andy's point was that it's hard to move the brush around in the mug due to the confined space.

- Peter

Top Bottom