What's new

How does your barber shave himself?

While sitting in the chair at the barbershop today I wondered how the man who drives a straight razor all day shaves himself, so I asked. His reply was a surprise. "I use a Bic disposable."

Naturally I asked him why. He acknowledged that he knows that the results are inferior but the time factor is more important to him. He also said that he has a straight and all of the necessary items to perform a truly luxurious shave at home but would rather get out the door and to the shop. He admitted to indulging occasionally with a straight shave, but he said that it was very rare for him to do so.

So, assuming that you go to a barber rather than a stylist, how does your barber shave? I wonder if the guys that do it all day for others still take the time to treat themselves.

Seriously, that is a very good question. I am one of those who skip from barber to barber in the same shop I go to (buzz cut, and work on the beard.) I wondered if at least one of them uses a straight razor at home, because he seems a little too good.

Concerning the perceived lack of professional appearance from the barber, I have heard of cases like that. There are fashion designers who create the most awesome pieces of work, and look bland themselves. My favorite instance of lack of professional appearance is Sweeney Todd. In the original penny dreadful, he was reportedly the best barber around, and kept combs and scissors in his own hair.

That's pretty funny. It's like a chef from a fine restaurant going to McDonald's to get his dinner.

My last barber used a Mach 3 in the shower with water instead of shaving cream. He didn't want to fool around with a long shave routine, he said that he just wanted to get it done fast.

FWIW, my barber when I was a kid was also my school bus driver. He drove the morning route and opened after. Then he closed at 3pm to run the afternoon route and reopened after. When I was last on leave I asked him this question. He was using a T&H DE and T&H Soap. He does straight shaves at his shop but never "really enjoyed" shaving himself that way.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I got that one.

Me either. :confused:

R

rainman

How do you know? Did you see him?:lol:

I can picture you standing at a distance cautiously with an uneasy look on your face as he goes over his technique.

My last barber used a Mach 3 in the shower with water instead of shaving cream. He didn't want to fool around with a long shave routine, he said that he just wanted to get it done fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know? Did you see him?:lol:

I can picture you standing at a distance cautiously with an uneasy look on your face as he goes over his technique.

:lol::lol:

I asked him. He told me that his favorite part of the job is giving straight razor shaves.

"A guy who drives a straight razor all day" That's the best joke I've heard all year. 90% of barbers wouldn't know a straight razor if it bit them in the butt. Just try getting any barber to give you a shave with a true straight in this country. If your lucky enough to find one and he doesn't butcher your face he'll use a shavette.

It so happens that I asked my barber that question the last time I was in for a haircut. I don't really know, but my barber is probably about 65-70 years old.

He does not give shaves any more, but does still use a straight to "clean up" around the ears, sideburns and neck. He told me that he uses a brush and soap (didn't say what kind) and a "three bladed razor." I assumed it was a Mach 3. He was very offhand about it.

why should it matter how a barber shaves? They are paid to shave you, not themselves. Thats like asking how does a surgeon perform on himself- to me it's irrelevant as long as they perform a satisfactory service for their paying client.

besides, i'm sure the average member here knows nearly as much about shaving technique and prep as a barber. :lol:

I brought my str8 in one day and told him to shave my neck with it. 2 months later he showed me a vintage wedge. I kind of helped in to use a str8. Converted another one... :thumbup1:

why should it matter how a barber shaves? They are paid to shave you, not themselves. Thats like asking how does a surgeon perform on himself- to me it's irrelevant as long as they perform a satisfactory service for their paying client.

besides, i'm sure the average member here knows nearly as much about shaving technique and prep as a barber. :lol:

I don't think its comparable to a surgeon operating on himself. I think it may be more like asking a hair stylist what products they use.

I couldn't agree more with the part of your quote I made bold.

Very good question.

The man that got me into wet shaving and straight razors is a barber and an uncle of my girlfriend. I bought my first straight through him, and he shaves customers with straights.

When I asked him what he used for himself at home he told me that he used an electric Braun. My mouth was wide open, lol.

"A guy who drives a straight razor all day" That's the best joke I've heard all year. 90% of barbers wouldn't know a straight razor if it bit them in the butt. Just try getting any barber to give you a shave with a true straight in this country. If your lucky enough to find one and he doesn't butcher your face he'll use a shavette.

I was referring specifically to my barber. He does use a straight all day and frequently shaves clients with it. I've had him shave my head many times. I don't know the model of razor he has, just that it is a vintage one with a black handle. Maybe I'll ask that question on my next visit.

The comparison to the stylist and products is in line with what I was thinking. My wife is a stylist (and is quite skilled with a straight razor, but doesn't give shaves) and constantly gets those questions. She uses very high-end hair products on herself and recommends only the ones she gets good personal results from. I was hoping to get some recommendations on shave products from my barber. I was just surprised that he uses canned goo and a disposable Bic.

Top Bottom