What's new

What exactly is the difference between an aftershave lotion and balm?

Someone feel free to correct me if this is incorrect, but the way I understand it:

Aftershave lotions usually contain alcohol for its astringent and antiseptic properties.
Aftershave balms on the other hand usually contain oils and moisturizers to sooth and hydrate.

Last edited:
Thats a good question freindo, I am getting ready to buy either the Speick or Poraso and would like to know myself. This question may get a better response iin the aftershave forum.

Is on better for sensitive skin prown to ingrown hair?
That is a question that you or your dermatologist can answer best. In my experience astringents (e.g. aftershaves with alcohol) do neither improve nor worsen ingrown hair situation(s). But they tend to be on the improving side.

Aftershave lotions usually contain alcohol for its astringent and antiseptic properties.
Aftershave balms on the other hand usually contain oils and moisturizers to sooth and hydrate.

I use a balm with alcohol. I'd say its mostly about consistence balms being more liquid.

Someone feel free to correct me if this is incorrect, but the way I understand it:

I second that:001_rolle

+1

That is how I understand the difference as well.

An Aftershave Lotion = a traditional aftershave splash. Transparent, multicolored, with a high alcohol content, and often menthol as well.

An Aftershave Balm = a aftershave that is opaque, with a consistency, and formula more resembling that of a hand lotion. It's primary benefit is to provide moisture to dry skin (especially in the wintertime).

Yea I agree too, the lotions are liquids where balms are more cream like.

For me personally I only use balms as my skin is too sensitive for a splash from what I've found

I asked my doctor about this, and he recommends (and uses) an aftershave with alcohol for the reasons PhoR said, for its astringent and antiseptic properties.

I use Nivea replenishing balm before the aftershave and it has a great cooling effect and moisturizers without the alcohol sting.

I asked my doctor about this, and he recommends (and uses) an aftershave with alcohol for the reasons PhoR said, for its astringent and antiseptic properties.

I use Nivea replenishing balm before the aftershave and it has a great cooling effect and moisturizers without the alcohol sting.

Interesting might have to try one out just to see how I go now.

I use the Alum Block for antiseptic properties and Witch Hazel for astringent, but I guess if a lotion can do all that and it works, why not??

Interesting might have to try one out just to see how I go now.

I use the Alum Block for antiseptic properties and Witch Hazel for astringent, but I guess if a lotion can do all that and it works, why not??

I just thought I would point out that alum also functions as an astringent.

Top Bottom