What's new

Differences between AP Shave G5 knots?

Does anyone know what the differences are between the G5 knots at AP Shave are, exactly? Are they just in color and shape?

I can see the G5C is a fan in contrast to the bulb shape of the G5A, but is the only difference between the G5A and G5B in the color? I'm a little confused in terms of how they perform in comparison to one another if they're different.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I haven’t tried the G5B, but I prefer both the G5A and G5C for their feel over other “premium” knots such as the current Mühle STF, the Omega ΞVO V1, and just slightly more than AP ShaveCo’s Titanium UHD.

I dont have the experience or skill to say they make better lathers for me, but they feel the best while looking as good or better than the other knots (it’s easier for me to get a great lather with the AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD knot, but the G5A and G5C both feel better on my skin).

The G5A has smaller fibers, but it and the G5C both feel the most badger-like and least badger-like of the synthetic knots I’ve tried. All the softness and scrub with none of the scritch. And they hold water very well. Don’t know about heat retention as I like cold lather. G5A feels a little softer and the G5C feels more plush.

The APShaveCo MiG knot seems to have fallen through the cracks in the synthetic fiber world; it doesn't get the buzz the G5 series enjoys. Think of a less expensive STF with more body but nearly as soft tips, and a hybrid shape to boot.

The APShaveCo MiG knot seems to have fallen through the cracks in the synthetic fiber world; it doesn't get the buzz the G5 series enjoys. Think of a less expensive STF with more body but nearly as soft tips, and a hybrid shape to boot.

That guide linked to by jesseix does make the MiG and Mühle STF seem really really similar.

That guide linked to by jesseix does make the MiG and Mühle STF seem really really similar.
In my own stumbling way I was trying to make the point that the MiG is a player in its own right, and is closer to an STF than a G5C. The STF/MiG share a similar soft-tipped feel; the former is more "delicate" in its touch, the latter a touch firmer. The G5C offers more scrub (see Thom's review above). Performance-wise they all provide excellent flow-through and generate gobs of lather. It pretty much comes down to the type of knot you like (bulb, hybrid, fan) and the face-feel you're after.

In my own stumbling way I was trying to make the point that the MiG is a player in its own right, and is closer to an STF than a G5C. The STF/MiG share a similar soft-tipped feel; the former is more "delicate" in its touch, the latter a touch firmer. The G5C offers more scrub (see Thom's review above). Performance-wise they all provide excellent flow-through and generate gobs of lather. It pretty much comes down to the type of knot you like (bulb, hybrid, fan) and the face-feel you're after.

Hello,

If I understood the feeling one get with the MiG can change depending on the size (24 or 26mm). Maybe I did not read carefully in other thread given my non expertise on this topic, but am I correct to assume that in order to benefit from the qualities of the MiG one should rather get a 26 mm? I am tempted by this knot but I am more into 24 mm brushes.

Hello,

If I understood the feeling one get with the MiG can change depending on the size (24 or 26mm). Maybe I did not read carefully in other thread given my non expertise on this topic, but am I correct to assume that in order to benefit from the qualities of the MiG one should rather get a 26 mm? I am tempted by this knot but I am more into 24 mm brushes.
I prefer 24mm as well, and I first had that size MiG knot set in one of APShaveCo's clear handles. Andrew could only max the loft at around 49-50mm due to the relatively short length of the fibers and where the metal band around the glue knot starts to protrude at the top of the handle. It was a usable brush but came with firm backbone and splay that took some effort. I followed with a 26mm set at 54-55mm, and the extra length allowed the knot to open up and really perform. It did come with larger splay on the face, but also very soft tips, medium backbone, and great flowthrough. That was my experience a year and a half ago. I don't know if any changes have been made to the knots or if they remain the same. Best to contact Andrew and see what his recommendations are currently. Good luck.

I prefer 24mm as well, and I first had that size MiG knot set in one of APShaveCo's clear handles. Andrew could only max the loft at around 49-50mm due to the relatively short length of the fibers and where the metal band around the glue knot starts to protrude at the top of the handle. It was a usable brush but came with firm backbone and splay that took some effort. I followed with a 26mm set at 54-55mm, and the extra length allowed the knot to open up and really perform. It did come with larger splay on the face, but also very soft tips, medium backbone, and great flowthrough. That was my experience a year and a half ago. I don't know if any changes have been made to the knots or if they remain the same. Best to contact Andrew and see what his recommendations are currently. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Top Bottom