What's new

Difference between Slants: Merkur 37C vs 39C

Well,

I just had my first shave with a slant this morning. I used a Merkur 39C Sledgehammer. My God, this shaving weapon is the real deal. I did a WTG, then 2 XTGs and that was all. An ATG was completely unnecessary. I was BBS almost everywhere :w00t:

I had to switch blades though. I was using a Derby but felt it was tugging too much in this razor so I threw in a brand new Feather for the XTG passes. It was slicing whiskers like there was no tomorrow.

However, I ended with some razor burn, which is unusual for me if I don't do an ATG pass. That burn feeling must come from the fact that a slant requires some technique adjustment. I guess that should be better after a few shaves.

Proraso pre-post cream took care of the burn feeling but I am wondering though: is there a difference in aggressiveness between the "standard" Merkur 37C Slant and this 39C Sledgehammer ? Is the Sledgehammer, because of its heft and bigger size, more tricky to use ?

R

rainman

What other razors and blades have you used and like to use? How long have you been DE shaving?

Sounds good, I really want to try a slant. A 38c and feather is currently my weapon of choice, I really like the weight.

Last edited:
I have them both and find I really need to remember not to apply any pressure with the Sledgehammer due to the added weight. I hold it as close to the end as possible to promote less pressure.

I got some bad razor burn when I put a Feather in it as well. Switched to Crystals for a while and maybe I'll come back to the Feather in a few weeks.

What other razors and blades have you used and like to use? How long have you been DE shaving?

Been wet shaving daily for 4 months now. My favorite blades are either Astras or Feathers, and my favorite razors so far are the Gillette Fatboy on a setting of 4, and also the Merkur HD.

I have them both and find I really need to remember not to apply any pressure with the Sledgehammer due to the added weight. I hold it as close to the end as possible to promote less pressure.

I got some bad razor burn when I put a Feather in it as well.

Do you prefer the 37C to the Sledgehammer ? Since I kind of like the short handle of my Merkur HD and Fat Boy, I guess I might like the 37C a bit better than the Sledgehammer (if I don't get used to it).

Last edited:
The razor burn probably came from the Derby not being sharp enough. I would use the feather and only lightly shave, one or two pass wtg for a few days and then you should be good to go again. I only use a blade 2 or 3 days at most with the slant. As soon as I feel any tugging I switch blades and have been getting BBS shaves for a long time now with no razor burn or weepers. Mostly just do 1 or 2 passes. I really like the 39C and find it gives me the closest shave with the least amount of passes.

I got some bad razor burn when I put a Feather in it as well. QUOTE]

Do you prefer the 37C to the Sledgehammer ? Since I kind of like the short handle of my Merkur HD and Fat Boy, I guess I might like the 37C a bit better than the Sledgehammer (if I don't get used to it).

Actually, I like the Sledgehammer better. I find if I just let it do the work, I get a great shave. Not that I don't like the 37C, but if I could just have one I'd go with the Sledge.

Is the Sledgehammer, because of its heft and bigger size, more tricky to use ?

I would like to know this myself. I have a 37C/Feathers and "LOVE" it. Is there any way the 39C could be better?
I wished there was some way a person could try another razor for a week or so, if you don’t like it, send it back (at your expense of course) but if you like it……. buy it.

I have a 38 C and a 39 C Sledgehammer. When I got the 39 C, well, I use it everyday now and never looked back, for me that is the perfect DE. I use only Feather blades and get no burn at all now. The first few days I used the 38 C I got some razor burn, but I think your skin need`s a little bit of time to get used to it. I use Fitjar soap`s, the Neroli my favorite, and Fitjarsoap`s aftershave creams in Fjellheim, Miklagaard and Neroli. After I got the 39 C I have stopped looking for new DE razors and spend my money on Simpson brushes and wonderful soaps instead.

The razor burn probably came from the Derby not being sharp enough. I would use the feather and only lightly shave, one or two pass wtg for a few days and then you should be good to go again. I only use a blade 2 or 3 days at most with the slant. As soon as I feel any tugging I switch blades and have been getting BBS shaves for a long time now with no razor burn or weepers. Mostly just do 1 or 2 passes. I really like the 39C and find it gives me the closest shave with the least amount of passes.

This makes a lot of sense.

I'll keep extra attention on going really light, stick with the Feathers in the Sledgehammer and satisfy myself with 2 passes for at least the next 2 shaves. It's the weekend anyway, I'm not going to the office so no need to be BBS :001_smile

R

rainman

Been wet shaving daily for 4 months now. My favorite blades are either Astras or Feathers, and my favorite razors so far are the Gillette Fatboy on a setting of 4, and also the Merkur HD.

To me this means that the 37C would be right for you. The HD is similiar in size and weight to the fatboy. The 37C is identicle in size and weight to the HD. It appears to me that the 39C is too big and heavy for you for now and that is messing up your shave. Also if you prefer feathers and astras, I'd ditch the Derby's all together also.

I can switch from any type of razor size, weight, and aggression with any blade with no problem but I am a shaving master. Everyone has a a different path to become one. Right now I recommend you stick with the same size razors and the blades you prefer.

Also just to add, the slant's head geometry gave me issues when starting out. I couldn't get close enough without getting irritated. The best thing is to treat it exactly like a regular razor to get a smooth shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me this means that the 37C would be right for you. The HD is similiar in size and weight to the fatboy. The 37C is identicle in size and weight to the HD. It appears to me that the 39C is too big and heavy for you for now and that is messing up your shave. Also if you prefer feathers and astras, I'd ditch the Derby's all together also.

I can switch from any type of razor size, weight, and aggression with any blade with no problem but I am a shaving master. Everyone has a a different path to become one. Right now I recommend you stick with the same size razors and the blades you prefer.

Also just to add, the slant's head geometry gave me issues when starting out. I couldn't get close enough without getting irritated. The best thing is to treat it exactly like a regular razor to get a smooth shave.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup1:

I'll probably pick a 37C soon, it's a razor that comes back regularly in the BST forum. For now, I'll continue going carefully with the 39C. I was just so impressed with the overall closeness of the shave without even going ATG, I want to master these slant razors !

My first DE was a 38C, long handle HD. I then graduated up to the Sledgehammer. For some reason, I thought that the extra weight would give me better shave and maneuverability. I had some decent shaves, but started nicking myself and getting some afterburn.

I then bought a 37C from a B&B member. By far, I have since preferred the shorter version. I find it more flexible and because the slants are agressive and require some care when using, I could control the shorter handled one better.

Just my opinion....I ended up selling both the 38C and 39C sledgehammer in record time on B&B. There are many out there that love them.

I have a 37G and love it! The slant offers a great shave with minimal effort. Like other have mentioned regardless of what model you have it is imperative to always remember a light touch with a slant.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I have a 39C coming in the mail and I was wondering if I WTH holding the handle close to the head will I nick myself. This is how I shave with my 38C and I don't have any problems. If my skin face gets dry and or starts to get dry and I keep going over the same spot,that's when I get razor burn. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Sledge Hammer and I'm excited to use it. I get good smooth shaves with my 38C and feather blades an I been getting smooth shaves. I want to see how much smoother or faster the 39C will be to use.

I have a 39C coming in the mail and I was wondering if I WTH holding the handle close to the head will I nick myself. This is how I shave with my 38C and I don't have any problems. If my skin face gets dry and or starts to get dry and I keep going over the same spot,that's when I get razor burn. I've been reading a lot of good things about the Sledge Hammer and I'm excited to use it. I get good smooth shaves with my 38C and feather blades an I been getting smooth shaves. I want to see how much smoother or faster the 39C will be to use.

Be careful with going faster... Especially in the beginning until you get used to using it. I myself am waiting for a 39C in the mail to arrive. Currently I am using a 38C with feathers also. Here is a good comparison that Turtle did about the two slants that some of you might find useful: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/301979-8-Pass-Shave-Using-2-Merkur-Slants

I _love_ the 39C Sledgehammer and hope you gents will also. Jut go a little slow at first and concentrate on letting the weight of the razor head do ALL the work. If you can adjust your technique to really minimize pressure, you are rewarded with a very (unbelievably) close and comfortable shave. Yes, it's challenging but also very rewarding.

I love my Slant!

Top Bottom