What's new

How much goop do you slather on your face?

Title says it all. I'm a noob that's having some pretty bad razor burn problems and it was suggested to me that I am overcomplicating things by throwing too many products at my face trying to get past that. Undoubtedly correct. I am taking some time off shaving trying to let my face heal and currently using ProActiv as a daily antibacterial/anti blemish remedy, seeing very good results but the products are harsh on my skin. Right now I can deal with harshness to get past the blemishes and burn.

The question arises: What stuff do I slap on pre and post shave to both minimize razor burn and put some much-needed moisture back in my skin?

I'm thinking the following: hot shower, Proraso Pre/Post, shave, alum block, Proraso Pre/Post. That's it. Given that I am still going to be using ProActiv to try to help control my bacteria problems, I am afraid this may not be moisturizing enough, but I am also afraid of entering newbie overload on products again. Any tips or suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of a single product as effective as the ProActiv line at clearing up blemishes, but less harsh and drying, I would be eternally grateful. I have a feeling ProActive in the morning + shaving at night will equal a raw face.

Thanks for the help!

The question arises: What stuff do I slap on pre and post shave to both minimize razor burn and put some much-needed moisture back in my skin?

I'm thinking the following: hot shower, Proraso Pre/Post, shave, alum block, Proraso Pre/Post. That's it. Given that I am still going to be using ProActiv to try to help control my bacteria problems, I am afraid this may not be moisturizing enough, but I am also afraid of entering newbie overload on products again. Any tips or suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated.

Going minimal is a good idea, but the menthol or eucalyptus in the Proraso could be irritating you.

Instead of looking towards products to help with the burn, look at your shaving technique (blade angle, pressure, and all that). If you are doing multiple passes every shave, then stop! Do one, or maybe two passes at most and give your face time to heal. Then add a pass.

Title says it all. I'm a noob that's having some pretty bad razor burn problems and it was suggested to me that I am overcomplicating things by throwing too many products at my face trying to get past that. Undoubtedly correct. I am taking some time off shaving trying to let my face heal and currently using ProActiv as a daily antibacterial/anti blemish remedy, seeing very good results but the products are harsh on my skin. Right now I can deal with harshness to get past the blemishes and burn.

Also if anyone knows of a single product as effective as the ProActiv line at clearing up blemishes, but less harsh and drying, I would be eternally grateful. I have a feeling ProActive in the morning + shaving at night will equal a raw face.

Thanks for the help!

ProActive is crapppppola oh man don't get me started...

How the hell do you even shave after using that stuff, my face would have come completely off.

Minimal is best; even better is minimal *with* minimal ingredients.

My pre-shave is pure grapeseed oil with no added ingredients. I try to use soaps/creams with short ingredient lists. Still working on the post shave balm, but getting there with GFT Skin Food.

I personally find that using an alum block and Proraso Pre/Post can be overly...what's the word...astringent? Drying? I sometimes use this combination but I always wipe the alum block residue off with a wet towel before applying the Pre/Post or I can't even get the stuff to go on.

I got into wet shaving with a DE due to my acne. I'm in my mid thirties and while my acne has never been really bad, my skin has consisitently had some breakouts over the years. I've never actually used Proactive, but have tried similiar products with so so results for short periods of time.

The DE shaving along with my follow up have really helped keep my face clearer than it has been since pre puberty.

My routine (If shaving in the evening)

Morning
Wash face (AL algea cleaner or Jack Black pure clean)
Moisturize (Jack Black w/ 20spf)

Evening
Wash face (AL algea cleaner or Jack Black pure clean facial cleanser)
Pre-oil (CO Bigelow Pre Shave Oil Sensative - optional)
Shave cream (many different types, very few cause my skin to react negatively)
After shave splash (normally alcohol based, optional)-wait to dry
After shave balm (CO Bigelow #1200 ASB - very good stuff) - wait to dry
Moisturize (CO Bigelow Oil Free Moisturizer #1055)

I follow the moistuezer up with a 10% benzol peroxide cream if there are any bumps both morning and night.

Also, I occaisonally use the Jack Black clear complexion as a toner after washing my face if my skin gets out of hand.

My face is so much better now. I think the keys to this improvement are as follows.

1) DE razor does not overly irratate skin (versus the 10 blades of death).

2) Moisturizer balances my skin. If my skin is too dry then my face over produces oil, causing acne.

3) Using products that don't negatively react with my skin.

4) Spot treating with the BP 10%.

My facial skin is so much better now thinks to all the "goop". It took me a long time to come to terms with using a moisturizer. But having a clear face more than makes up for it.

Get rid of the ProActive.

I had the same problem you had when I started. I over-reacted and used too many products with too many exotic ingredients which actually irritated my face. I used Nivea after shave replenishing balm, which left my face red and sore. I then switched to Nivea Extreme Comfort post shave balm with even more exotic (impressive sounding) ingredients, and that left my face even more irritated. I dropped them and went back to my simple Mennen Skin Bracer. In addition to that I was using Lab Series Shave cream. That stuff made my skin numb and then left it red and swollen for the rest of the day. I got rid of that and found a good English lather with glycerin in it to cushion by blade. Check out the English shaving creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street, and Truefitt & Hill. Both excellent. I invested in a great razor and use top quality blades (Gillette 7 0'clock Sharp Edge - yellow pack made in Russia). I discovered them on the B&B Razor/blade forum. They are smooth and perform beautifully. So now I almost always get a perfect shave, and my skin in never irritated. Also, keep working on your technique. That will pay off big time.

I have acne problems and I find that an alcohol based splash like Speick helps a lot. I don't need anything else. My acne is much reduced after having started using it.

I have acne problems and I find that an alcohol based splash like Speick helps a lot. I don't need anything else. My acne is much reduced after having started using it.

+1. Too many people only focus on the so called "negatives" of the alcohol splashes, overlooking the fact that alcohol is a great antiseptic agent!

My Routine is fairly basic....

1.Shower/Hot water and Face Wash
2.Proraso Pre Post
3.Proraso Shave Cream
4.Wash face with cold water
5.Speick A/S or Bay Rum
6.Men-U Matt Moisturiser
7.Done

I have noticed my face clearing up quite well in alot of different ways since i have changed to DE shaving. The Men-U matt moisturiser is very very good as a balm i find.

Last edited:
My Routine is fairly basic....

1.Shower/Hot water and Face Wash
2.Proraso Pre Post
3.Proraso Shave Cream
4.Wash face with cold water
5.Speick A/S or Bay Rum
6.Men-U Matt Moisturiser
7.Done

I have noticed my face clearing up quite well in alot of different ways since i have changed to DE shaving. The Men-U matt moisturiser is very very good as a balm i find.

And you didn't even have to shave! :lol::lol::lol: I keed, I keeeed!

I've narrowed my aftershave routine to this:

After the warm water rinse of any left over shave cream/soap.
I cold water rinse. Rub alum block on cold wet face, dry for about 60 seconds.
Cold water rinse again, splash witch hazel on face, air dry.
apply alcohol based after shave splash, air dry.
If I have burn, substitute splash with balm.

The end.

More than you want to know, no doubt.

1. I wash the "T" area of my face and my goatee in the shower with a face wash product (Everyman Jack, currently).
2. After the shower, I make my shaving lather, and then rewet my face with hot water.
3. If I'm shaving with a cream, I may use a preshave (Proraso or CF).
4. I apply the shaving cream and do my first pass (down).
5. I rinse, reapply, then do my second pass (up).
6. I reapply just around the beard and do one last pass around the beard.
7. I rinse with hot water, then with cold water.
8. I apply Witch Hazel liberally (usually the medicinal kind, sometimes Thayer's), and let my face calm down while I do the postshave clean up.
9. I apply an after shave of some sort, based on my whim. I may subsequently reapply it again later in the day, to refresh the scent.
10. If my face is overly dry (usually only during the two weeks of Florida winter we get here), I'll put on some moisturizer before I go to bed.
11. If my face is suffering from a rough shave in the evening (very rare, as of late), I'll put on some old stock Nivea sensitive after shave balm.

I put Noxzema under my shave cream and then reapply after shaving. It really helps keep redness to a minimum.

i highly recommend you use peter thomas roth after shave balm. its simply amazing. doesn't ever feel thick or greasy. its amazing stuff.

my routine is shaving in the shower. does the trick!

1. Warm water wash with Palmer's olive oil soap
  2. Dab warm EVO on T-Zone
  3. Turn up the Tom Jones on the MP3 Player (Kiss)
  4. Light Old Spice scented candles
  5. Dunk face in sink full of ice water, genuflect to portrait of Paul Newman
  6. Exfoliate exuberantly
  7. Prepare to apply pre-shave post-prep pre-moisturizing preventative stuff
  8. I think I better dance now
  9. Rub Florida water on ankles
  10. Rattle blade blank, calculate chances of filling it before they put me in a home
  11. Change music to William Shatner's "Common People", allowing me to Rock out with my Spock out
  12. Pinch cheeks to make them ruddy, just like Scarlett did
  13. Begin shifting to a zen like state, preparing for actual shave
  14. Lather up, and wait two minutes. Music changes to "Adagio for Strings". I weep uncontrollably
  15. Shave
  16. Rinse with lukewarm water
  17. Ask myself, "How are ya fixed for blades", then raise a glass to Sharpie the parrot
  18. Splash on some generic witch hazel
  19. Rub aluminum block on face. Last longer and has more letters than alum
  20. Splash on after shave
  21. Prepare post-shave pre- post prep post preshave product
  22. If shave was ragged or I want the scent, apply balm
  23. Post on B&B
  24. Change music to "Jock Jams", get jammies on, tell wife that I'm ready to rumble
  25. Splash Lilac Vegetal freely all over the body

At least seven of those items are true.

Last edited:
  1. Warm water wash with Palmer's olive oil soap
  2. Dab warm EVO on T-Zone
  3. Turn up the Tom Jones on the MP3 Player (Kiss)
  4. Light Old Spice scented candles
  5. Dunk face in sink full of ice water, genuflect to portrait of Paul Newman
  6. Exfoliate exuberantly
  7. Prepare to apply pre-shave post-prep pre-moisturizing preventative stuff
  8. I think I better dance now
  9. Rub Florida water on ankles
  10. Rattle blade blank, calculate chances of filling it before they put me in a home
  11. Change music to William Shatner's "Common People", allowing me to Rock out with my Spock out
  12. Pinch cheeks to make them ruddy, just like Scarlett did
  13. Begin shifting to a zen like state, preparing for actual shave
  14. Lather up, and wait two minutes. Music changes to "Adagio for Strings". I weep uncontrollably
  15. Shave
  16. Rinse with lukewarm water
  17. Ask myself, "How are ya fixed for blades", then raise a glass to Sharpie the parrot
  18. Splash on some generic witch hazel
  19. Rub aluminum block on face. Last longer and has more letters than alum
  20. Splash on after shave
  21. Prepare post-shave pre- post prep post preshave product
  22. If shave was ragged or I want the scent, apply balm
  23. Post on B&B
  24. Change music to "Jock Jams", get jammies on, tell wife that I'm ready to rumble
  25. Splash Lilac Vegetal freely all over the body

At least seven of those items are true.

Numbers 7, 8, 11, 12, 21, 23, 24, and 25 made me laugh quite hard. Thank you for making my day (especially after this mornings rough shave! I need a milder razor!):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks to all for the great advice. I am going to try to step down from the Proactiv with what are hopefully some less aggressive products: Oxy 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash, Alpha Hydrox 10% moisturizing lotion, generic Cetaphil, and Clean n Clear SPF 15 moisturizer.

What I need to do now is try to figure out how to do this anti-blemish face treatment and start shaving in the morning, as my work sometimes requires it. I think I'll do the Cetaphil and Oxy bp face wash in the shower pre-shave, and save the Alpha Hydrox for a nightly face wash, as it is a pretty darn potent lotion (and has a bit of old lady smell as it is primarily intended as a strong anti-wrinkle cream).

I also picked up a bottle of Nivea asb, will probably use that interchangably with the SPF 15 moisturizer post-shave.

Again, many thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom