What's new

Looking for a new hat

Thread resurrection in progress!

So, I never ended up buying a new hat last year. What do you guys think of the Akubra Bogart?

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=44&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

When Topgumby mentioned the Stylemaster last year I have to admit I wasn't crazy about it, but it's starting to grow on me a little:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=47&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

I dunno . . .

I like it. I've bought an Akubra Stylemaster and Camp Draft from Hatsdirect.com. Both the hats and the store are awesome. Amazing customer service.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
+1 on the grey Fedora.

http://www.hats-plus.com/ in Chicago is a great shop.

They do ship.

I recommend the Bailey Carson in senate. Smaller brim, but not a skimpy brim, great style and a versatile color which goes well with both dark and lighter clothing selections.

attachment.php

The flat cap solves these problems, while still providing a bill to shield my eyes, a bit of style that is not a !@#$ baseball cap, and is pretty much indestructible. Not only that, I can wear it in my car because it lacks the high crown my fedoras have.
+1 on the flat cap.

They're quite versatile, are appropriate in almost any environment from work to play, and come in a variety of materials. I got one when I realized I needed something to wear in the rain when going to church that wasn't a baseball cap.

if i may be so bold-

the optimo and art fawcett suggestions would get you a fine fur felt hat. Top of the line, with prices to match.

There are also lesser quality, cheap hats, with the majority being made of wool felt. They are usually disappointments, losing color and shape, and not providing the great fit a fur felt hat with a leather sweatband does as it wears in and conforms to your head shape.

In between, you have fur felt fedoras by famous us names like stetson and resistol, both now owned by the same company, and many say they are not the quality that they once were.

A choice worth considering is the akubra hat, a very well made fur felt from australia. They can be ordered from an australian vendor, or from a us distributor.

I would argue that akubra represents a sweet spot combining quality and value. I think you'll find a lot of folks on the fedor lounge site would agree that the akubra represents good "bang for the buck."

if you get the hat bug, you can move up to the custom offerings, or the more expensive lines. You might find that the akubra is all the hat you need.

I'd think grey or brown with a self colored band would be most versatile, and agree that a lower crown with a moderate taper would be a good choice.

here are some choices from the akubra site. The stylemaster in acorn fawn is my avatar.

I'm curious, what hat size are you, and how would you describe your body type and face? Do you have a round, broad face, or long and narrow? Also, what is your hair color?

+1

:confused: The Cleveland Indians wear blue caps. :wink:

:001_cool: Orthodox Jewish :001_cool:

I knew what you meant! :biggrin1:

I like it. I've bought an Akubra Stylemaster and Camp Draft from Hatsdirect.com. Both the hats and the store are awesome. Amazing customer service.

Thanks. I know Akubra makes a great hat, and the praise for hatsdirect.com is uniform, but I'm just leery about buying a hat without trying it on first (for style, not size).

I also like some of the Stetson fedoras I've seen pictures of. There's a hat shop in Brooklyn that's supposed to have a good selection; I may have to check them out. They also carry a big selection of Borsalino, but that's getting pricey.

Nice hat, Phil!

Before you buy anything like an Akubra, you better make sure you're not a long oval or extra long oval--those are stiff hats and will never break in for you IF your head shape doesn't fit their block.

I love fedoras also, but they take commitment. People will stare at you. We always say fedoras are "becoming stylish again", but look around and you tell me. You'll stand out in a fedora style. Nothing wrong with that at all, but you have to want to do it. Otherwise, your $150+ lid will suddenly find itself being left home more and more often.

I recommend a nice wool flat cap style. They dress up or down, which is a big plus. With a suit on Madison Ave. to an upstate antique barn--you're never out of sync.

Here are a couple of mine--true Harris tweeds that are VERY comfortable and look fine outdoors and anywhere indoors where a cover is acceptable. Easier to find a suitable place to set it than a fedora. And that happens more than you think.

I love fedoras also, but they take commitment. People will stare at you. We always say fedoras are "becoming stylish again", but look around and you tell me. You'll stand out in a fedora style. Nothing wrong with that at all, but you have to want to do it. Otherwise, your $150+ lid will suddenly find itself being left home more and more often.

As I said in a prior post,

Yes, there is a real risk of looking like a dork/jackass/fool with the wrong hat, so it's important to choose wisely

the right hat looks great, the wrong hat looks terrible, IMHO.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As I said in a prior post,

the right hat looks great, the wrong hat looks terrible, IMHO.

Right you are sir!

Compare the pictures here and you can clearly see that guy 1 has chosen poorly.

It's a shame, because with a little effort, he could have chosen a hat that suited his face.

Right you are sir!

Compare the pictures here and you can clearly see that guy 1 has chosen poorly.

It's a shame, because with a little effort, he could have chosen a hat that suited his face.

My guess is the guy on the left didn't choose well?

Geez, for the monsoon we're having here today, maybe I need something like this. (I like the new color from Akubra - "olive brown.")

I have (and wear) flat caps AND hats, both in summer and winter. While a flat cap suits most casual wear, if you want something to wear along with a suit, but also with jeans and stuff, the Fedora is your option.

I have two different Fedoras, one for formal occasions; the other one for more "casual but sharp" looks.

Yet what's been told here is completely right: some hats simply don't fit. I sadly remember I was mad about a pork pie till the day I tried it... I looked like a total dork.:laugh:

I sadly remember I was mad about a pork pie till the day I tried it... I looked like a total dork.:laugh:
I may be biased, but anyone that's not a performing jazz musician looks dorky in a pork pie. And there are even jazz musicians out there that can't pull it off.

While a flat cap suits most casual wear, if you want something to wear along with a suit, but also with jeans and stuff, the Fedora is your option.

I agree. (I'm not really going for the outback look. I just liked the color of the hat I posted above.)

Top Bottom