What's new

Help me choose my birthday present.

I want to tell my wife what to get me in a month or so for my birthday. I was thinking of a price range of about $250-$300 but I am flexible. I started looking at the hart steel razor because of the price range and oddly enough the looks. But, I may wait a while on those. From what I am reading they might not be ready yet for all my eggs. I have 4 razors now. All of which are cheap by any standard, all used also.

I have looked into wacker's, Livi regrinds,????... I was wondering what would be some other GREAT razors to look into. Give me some ideals and why. Thanks guys

My list of priorities.

1. Price range. One day I will drop $600 to $1,000 on a killer heirloom but not yet.
2. Smooth shaver that will hold an edge.
3. Looks. I like clean looks that does not get too gaudy.

What else should I be looking for?
I am not infinitely picky as some of the guys on here (yet). i.e. no need to measure the angle of the grind. I will save that for when I have been doing this for a few more years. Thanks for all of your input.

Consider a Filarmonica Doble Temple #13. You can pick one up NOS on the fleeb for what you're what you're willing to pay. Incredible razors.

There is also another razor I also own, J. Breidhor Les+++Croix. Beautiful razor and a fantastic shaver. It looks just like this one. One just like it is for up for auction on the bay (not mine btw).

s.

Consider a Filarmonica Doble Temple #13. You can pick one up NOS on the fleeb for what you're what you're willing to pay. Incredible razors.

There is also another razor I also own, J. Breidhor Les+++Croix. Beautiful razor and a fantastic shaver. It looks just like this one. One just like it is for up for auction on the bay (not mine btw).

s.

What makes it so nice? Not doubting you, I am just wanting to know. Describe your love affair with this blade.

Edit: Who sales the Filarmonica? anyone? How would it compare to the Livi regrinds?

Last edited:

s.

The "fleeb"????

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on Le Grelot or Filarmonica!

Rasurpur

Under $200, to boot.

If I knew I was going to get into straights, I would've gotten a 1/4 grind "just in case", since they're os popular. The 3/4 grind is still left, and still really nice looking.

I agree.... a quality large Sheffield from the Early to Mid 1800's.... and allow Maximilian in Las Vegas to do a total restore on it.

Another vote for having Max do a restore on a Sheffield, everybody should have at least one of that smooth steel on their rotation.

Here is a 7/8 Wosty Max did for me in full restore and the total price of blade and restore falls well within your budget.

EDIT: Classic Shaving in California also carries the 3/4 LeGrelots with free shipping. They also have NOS Filarmonicas (under Vintage Blades, the last selection). I was going to also mention Leon at Vintage Scent for the Fillies, but it looks like he is sold out of everything but the most expensive models.

Last edited:
I agree.... a quality large Sheffield from the Early to Mid 1800's.... and allow Maximilian in Las Vegas to do a total restore on it.

Where would I find something like that? I do not know razors enough to know what to look for much less find it. Sounds like a project for my future.

Where would I find something like that? I do not know razors enough to know what to look for much less find it. Sounds like a project for my future.

Blades with no scales come up often in the classifieds at straight razor place, here in the BST less so. You just have to keep an eye.

Are all the grinds on the (Doble temple's) the same? Full hollow?

Isn't full hollow considered "not as smooth" as a 3/4 or half hollow?

Please correct me if I have got the wrong info here.

Livi Regrinds would be great

Fancy TI w/ fancy scales

Vintage blades like

Dubl Duck Wonderedge

Puma Gold (if you can find one in the price range)

You would have to buy it from somebody you trust.

yes

no, there are too many things that determine the final edge and how smooth, the grind is only important in combination with everything else. the smoothness also depends to great extent on the shaving skills of the user.

at the end of the day you probably won't make the best choice, but chances are you may never find out either, unless sometime in the future you get few of the other options. you are soliciting advise from random people on the internet, all with different preferences and some of which with next to zero experience with different razors....

Please correct me if I have got the wrong info here.

The Doble temple's are full hollow. There are many factors that contribute to a 'smooth' razor though: the steel used and condition of it at the edge, the honing job, the stropping over the long run, where you are in the straight learning ladder,...

One of the pluses of brand recognition is that it helps to pinpoint good razors by those who have experienced them and some brands come out as more consistent than others in that regard; the downside is that it drives prices up. Someone just resurected Joel's review on a Filly where TstebinsB mentions auctions for them starting to hit $60+ :scared:, how thing change.

Top Bottom